Ca Engine Combo/conversion.

Dropz

Hey all, I've recently acquired a KE70 with the gutless 4k as my new daily driver.

Anyway, as always the lack of power is really frustrating, and I've heard many people do ca18det conversions to their xE7x's without much trouble, which has lead me to think that a ca20 would fit.

I was wondering, since its just my daily car and not some 'Fooly siiiik drifta' would a ca20 conversion be worth it just to get a little bit more oomph without going big bucks?

And, if I choose to go a ca20 I'm thinking that I may throw a ca18 head on. Have people ever tried anything along these lines, and what were results?

Also, what other cheap conversion options do I have, I would like to upgrade to EFI as I'm not a fan of carby's, which rules out a 5k conversion.

Any feedback is welcome, good or bad :P

Thanks, Karl.

Edited by Dropz

Members dont see this ad
Hey all, I've recently acquired a KE70 with the gutless 4k as my new daily driver.

Anyway, as always the lack of power is really frustrating, and I've heard many people do ca18det conversions to their xE7x's without much trouble, which has lead me to think that a ca20 would fit.

I was wondering, since its just my daily car and not some 'Fooly siiiik drifta' would a ca20 conversion be worth it just to get a little bit more oomph without going big bucks?

And, if I choose to go a ca20 I'm thinking that I may throw a ca18 head on. Have people ever tried anything along these lines, and what were results?

Also, what other cheap conversion options do I have, I would like to upgrade to EFI as I'm not a fan of carby's, which rules out a 5k conversion.

Any feedback is welcome, good or bad :P

Thanks, Karl.

mate the ca18 conversion is not straight forward as such but has ALOT more going for it than a ca20... the ca18/20 hybrid conversion is not something to take on lightly and is not just a "slap her together" process as such... imo not really worth it if your after cheap performance definitely go a 4AGE conversion in any of its guises, for ease, bang for buck, aftermarket support and general info on the conversion you can't beat it...

keeping in mind you are going to efi so you will need custom wiring, fuel system including lines, exhaust, mounts, diff conversion or welded centre (cheapie :rock: ) brakes etc etc... none of this will be done by a novice ( assuming you are ) over the weekend unless you have super keen, knowledgable mates willing to help out... if you really don't want a 4AGE and its your daily driver then buy something else and work on it in your spare time... :wub: hope that helps a bit

righto. i was only thinking of a ca20/18 combo as i always see ca20s at the wreckers, and cheap cheap 18 parts..

ive had a few mates try and talk me into ca18det as I'm into the R31 scene and can get parts for it pretty easy but i can't afford to spend that much just yet, and if/when i do it i want to do it properly (get a mod plate from regency)

i can stay carby if it saves me money.

my plan in a few years (after i've finished my r31 project) was a tossup between ca18det or 4age. but for now i was just after something me and some mates could get in over a weekend or two for around $900 as its all i have left lol :P

Yeah my orginal 4ktc setup cost be about $400 to get 6psi up its guts. I did have a few mates donate parts (like the turbo) for free though, which sounds like it would be too hard for you with nissan driving mates.

FYI - Wanting EFI doesn't rule out a 5k. My turbo 5k is running KR42R townace EFI of a 7KE. You can also get 4KE systems but they're harder to find, more expensive and not as good as the 7KE gear anyway! The 7KE EFI gear cost me $250 from a commercial (vans and trucks) wreckers.

Click "TAR" in my sig for more info.

Man a CA20 conversion will be a lot of effort with bugger all gain. Given that it's effectively the exact same setup as a CA18 you might as well go with the 18. Same engine and gearbox mounts etc.

After seeing Candellan on Twincam.org do a _very_ tortuous, long and expensive CA20DET build (and this was into a S12 Gazelle, the car that the CA20E came out of), I wouldn't recommend it for anyone bar the most die-hard CA tragic who has a lot of time and a lot of money free. For pure gains it just isn't worth it, however you do end up with something fairly unique

I'd be more interested in doing a RWD KA24DET :)

yeah rwd ka24det, I am sure we all would be interested in that one!

I don't get the lack of love for the KA, it's a nice strong torquey motor, and can be grabbed for cheap from the U13 guys ripping them out to put SR20DETs in. RWD gear can be had from the D22 Navara (much easier to find in Aus than S13 and S14 240SXs)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

I don't get the lack of love for the KA, it's a nice strong torquey motor, and can be grabbed for cheap from the U13 guys ripping them out to put SR20DETs in. RWD gear can be had from the D22 Navara (much easier to find in Aus than S13 and S14 240SXs)

I have found a whole lot of love for the ka in the US, they hold them in quite high esteem.

The main bummer is that being a 2.4 it is not a legal conversion in QLD (with a turbo) for any ke3X or earlier model car.

I have seen inside one while my old man was building it, they are almost identical to an sr with their setup internally.