My Ke20 Just Got Defected.

RA28GT

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man..there are some soft members on here, it's embarrasing. Yes there are rules and police are needed, whether we want them or not. But there's a difference between some locked-dif, turbo-charged slide machine tearing up the streets defected and a CRAZY 'looking' but sensible driving/powered ke20.

Saw this on the cruise other week, absoloutley fell in love and as soon as you get off defect, make it look exactly the same again. looks too tough to change it.

GL

I imagine with Adelaide being a small place, your going to come across these guys again.

A small, insiginificant 1.2 million people haha.

Your best bet would be to take everything back to as stock as possible. The 5K issue might be an easy solve, I agree I think you can just change the engine number across. Did KE20's come out with front drums? Because that was the main issue with the KE10s, some ran drums so they needed a minimum disc front upgrade to allow a 5K.

I'd just ring up the regency inspection blokes and have a chat to them.Be honest Tell them you've been defected, but you want to get it back on the road. Ask them what they expect, ask them if the 5K will be an issue, and if so what do you need to do about it.

Regency 1300 882 248. Get it straight from the horses mouth, everything else is just hearsay.

that sucked Troy but these things happen.

Through my experience at Regency i would recommend taking the car there AS IS, its very rare for a car to pass first time anyway (especially an older car) so might as well go and they will write you a big list of what needs to be done. Atleast then you know where you stand with it

Thats what i would do, whats the worse they can do.........double defect you;)

Sucks to hear Troy I thought they would have had more respect for your old girl and let it fly :bash: I am surprised though it lasted this long :dance:

If you need to borrow some 12 inch rims and tyres to go through you can borrow mine no worries.

I was checking some websites the other day, there doesn't appear to be any track or height measurements listed for these old girls so I don't know how he came to that conclusion :yes:

Although there is the 100 mm clearance rule combined with not making track wider than 26mm wider than original factory specifications.I am sure your wheels aren't more than 26 mm wider than factory :jamie:

If you need any help let us know :)

Man..there are some soft members on here, it's embarrasing. Yes there are rules and police are needed, whether we want them or not. But there's a difference between some locked-dif, turbo-charged slide machine tearing up the streets defected and a CRAZY 'looking' but sensible driving/powered ke20.

Saw this on the cruise other week, absoloutley fell in love and as soon as you get off defect, make it look exactly the same again. looks too tough to change it.

GL

There are some sensible members on this club who try to help one another. We need to respect laws that are put in place to protect us. Just because the car looks good, doesn't necessarily mean its safe. As Parrot stated, wheel spacers , and as for bump steer????????? what seems to be a small issue to some, doesn't mean you compromise safety over looks . At the end of the day we all want to stay alive to enjoy cars, not to die in them. Remember treat cars with respect, i have lost one friend to a very stupid mod made to a car he was travelling in. Coronor said, the altering of the suspension was the main contributor to the car loosing control at 100km . When it happens to a close friend you will look at this issue a little differently .

There are some sensible members on this club who try to help one another. We need to respect laws that are put in place to protect us. Just because the car looks good, doesn't necessarily mean its safe. As Parrot stated, wheel spacers , and as for bump steer????????? what seems to be a small issue to some, doesn't mean you compromise safety over looks . At the end of the day we all want to stay alive to enjoy cars, not to die in them. Remember treat cars with respect, i have lost one friend to a very stupid mod made to a car he was travelling in. Coronor said, the altering of the suspension was the main contributor to the car loosing control at 100km . When it happens to a close friend you will look at this issue a little differently .

wow a coroner and an automotive engineer, and physicist... he must be getting paid a shitload.

wow a coroner and an automotive engineer, and physicist... he must be getting paid a shitload.

If you have actually ever sat in on an investigation of that nature, you would know that engineers do reports and submit them to the court ( the coronor) Who then puts together conclusions from what he has been advised from experts. Funny how this site brings out such maturity in members. Just face it if you drive a defective vehicle you will get get . Stop being sore loosers with the police , who are just doing a job to keep us safe. It just shows the rest of the world what wankers car enthusiasts can be at times .

It just shows the rest of the world what wankers car enthusiasts can be at times .

There is a difference between taking pride in your ride and just plain being a wanker.

I know there is no room for emotion, or assessing attitude etc when defecting a car as the rules are (sometimes, not often) clear. If it were based on emotion and attitude then Troy would never have had any issue as he is a chilled guy.

Chin up Troy, that car is clearly worth the effort of clearing the defect.

Though, if you do ever think of parting ways with some of your parts you know they would go well on my KE11 :jamie:

A small, insiginificant 1.2 million people haha.

Your best bet would be to take everything back to as stock as possible. The 5K issue might be an easy solve, I agree I think you can just change the engine number across. Did KE20's come out with front drums? Because that was the main issue with the KE10s, some ran drums so they needed a minimum disc front upgrade to allow a 5K.

I'd just ring up the regency inspection blokes and have a chat to them.Be honest Tell them you've been defected, but you want to get it back on the road. Ask them what they expect, ask them if the 5K will be an issue, and if so what do you need to do about it.

Regency 1300 882 248. Get it straight from the horses mouth, everything else is just hearsay.

I have regency a call today, told them about the 5k and they didn't have much of a problem, I just need to change engine numbers after its through. On the drums issue i have discs so i'm not worried! Interesting that my venetian is illegal without two side mirrors apparently? Just lots of little things i have to do such as change under diff exhaust and remove fender mirrors etc.

Sucks to hear Troy I thought they would have had more respect for your old girl and let it fly :yes: I am surprised though it lasted this long :bash:

If you need to borrow some 12 inch rims and tyres to go through you can borrow mine no worries.

I was checking some websites the other day, there doesn't appear to be any track or height measurements listed for these old girls so I don't know how he came to that conclusion :)

Although there is the 100 mm clearance rule combined with not making track wider than 26mm wider than original factory specifications.I am sure your wheels aren't more than 26 mm wider than factory :jamie:

If you need any help let us know :y:

Yes the ke20 came out with 12x7's :)

And thanks luke I'm sure I'm going to have to borrow a few bits and pieces of some of the great members of SA!

There is a difference between taking pride in your ride and just plain being a wanker.

I know there is no room for emotion, or assessing attitude etc when defecting a car as the rules are (sometimes, not often) clear. If it were based on emotion and attitude then Troy would never have had any issue as he is a chilled guy.

Chin up Troy, that car is clearly worth the effort of clearing the defect.

Though, if you do ever think of parting ways with some of your parts you know they would go well on my KE11 :dance:

I'm usually a chilled guy but this was a very big part of my life, i use my corolla as a form of self expression i suppose and hence it has made it a very emotional topic for me. At the end of the day he was doing his job so I'm not going to complain about the defects. Hes just a wanker for the comments.

Edited by RA28GT

It's all well and good to justify your actions but the law is the law - it's not open for discussion. It's put in place to protect the majority from the minority. From what you've said the copper was being a prick as most of them do but with the way your car looks it was only a matter of time (btw I love it). His tastes obviously differ from your own and he took it upon himself to try and belittle you for it.

Are they hub centric bolt on spacers or just slip ons? Can you not run a wider diff?

Edited by Instigator

It's all well and good to justify your actions but the law is the law - it's not open for discussion. It's put in place to protect the majority from the minority. From what you've said the copper was being a prick as most of them do but with the way your car looks it was only a matter of time. His tastes obviously differ from your own and he took it upon himself to try and belittle you for it.

Are they hub centric bolt on spacers or just slip ons? Can you not run a wider diff?

Their hub centric, i could run a wider diff but that still means my track is way out unless i wanted to get things engineered? Which I'm not really in the financial position to do so.

Edited by RA28GT

Their hub centric, i could run a wider diff but that still means my track is way out unless i wanted to get things engineered? Which I'm not really in the financial position to do so.

Your right the law is the law and I'm guess I'm taking my chances but at the end of the day its my risk and i will have to suffer the consequences I'm sure. It still will more than likely not change my corolla.

Sadly you can't get track engineered.

I got done for wheels out of track on the 1st canary. only because the wheels were scrubbing and the cop didnt wanna send me to regency for being too low.

As for the cost of engineering. It cost the electrician at work $700 to get 4WD 1/4 panels approved on his 2WD hilux (4wd guards have less of a cut out for the wheel arch AFAIK)