Welding Diffs

chappo12

as its time to put some more hours into my 12A ke55 corolla i wanted to know what people think about welding the diff as a new diff is not on my money right now

i wanted to know if it will hold the power of a stock 12a and can i rip a skid with out f$!king it.

is it hard to do?

also is it safe to cruise with.

if it was your car and you didnt have the money for a bigger diff would you do it ?

i had a mate weld his rx3 diff hardcore and it went sweet but i can't get in touch with him to ask him about it same with a gemie with a 308 motor with stock diff welded and it got punished all day but the diff went awesome

cheers guys steve

Members dont see this ad
as its time to put some more hours into my 12A ke55 corolla i wanted to know what people think about welding the diff as a new diff is not on my money right now

i wanted to know if it will hold the power of a stock 12a and can i rip a skid with out f$!king it.

is it hard to do?

also is it safe to cruise with.

if it was your car and you didnt have the money for a bigger diff would you do it ?

i had a mate weld his rx3 diff hardcore and it went sweet but i can't get in touch with him to ask him about it same with a gemie with a 308 motor with stock diff welded and it got punished all day but the diff went awesome

cheers guys steve

welding the centre is like having constant LSD with no centre slip, not good for general driving, you will end up snaping axils..

My daily driver has a welded diff. did it myself about 3-4 months ago.

My opinion:

Horrible for daily driving. It sucks bad in car parks. I feel bad for the poor axles and expect them to snap any time.

It is defiantly fun for ripping skids and getting sideways though.

Great on gravel but I'd never do it on tar.

Promotes understeer as it drives the car straight ahead until you can get it turning, then it promotes oversteer as the rear tyres argue over how much traction each has. Without a lot of grunt to make it slide there will be more understeer than oversteer, except in the rain when it will be a real eye-opener!

Use cheap tyres, they won't last!

Second that motion. There is no way that a locker is "safe" especially next to an open or an LSD. It's either all understeer or all oversteer baby.

And that chirp chirp chirp chirp as you turn in a carpark is a dead giveaway to the 5-0.

Edited by philbey

Never broke an axle with a locked diff and the understeer can be mostly dialed out by playing with the front end and driving style, but it is ILLEGAL and if you take someone out you will be in deep shit. Basically I would never use one on the road.