Lowered Springs For Ke70

Jordanrolla

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone know how to calculate spring rates here?? or measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch to get some figures.

or is this just a sort of "I'll swap you a fish tank for those Subaru springs to sack my KE.."

Somewhere in the equation must be how hard the ride is, does it handle better and how does it look. With one coil cut off the front and 1& 1/2 off the back I've had passengers saying how hard the suspension is.

• 3 years later...

Ok cobbers,

I'm planning to do the falcon springs in the ke70 trick. I'm aware of the legalities etc and I know spring rate changes when cut. I plan to bend the cut ends level to keep them captive and avoid them jumping out and spearing the tyres.

I'm want it a little lower with a firmer ride which wont shake my fillings out, not dorifto spec - can anyone advise whether I should grab EB-AU King Springs or just Falcon stockies for this purpose. Can also do Kings rear, stockies front if its a better compromise?

Will be upgrading to short stroke shocks also.

Edited by Bueno

I plan to bend the cut ends level to keep them captive

I can't imagine which way you going to bend them to make them captive. Being captive depends on the shock extension length, and if you're fitting short stroke shocks then they should hold shorter springs in.

Option two would be to get "top hat" plastic spacers made to fit at the top of the spring and move them down 20mm, that 's how we did a 'tarmac conversion' on the rally car!

I'd use stockies, the Falcon is heavier so they are stiffer already and they're probably free at any wrecker. I haven't used them so I don't know how well the diameters fit.

Don't rush into cutting them until you have the shocks on the car, then take a bit off at a time. (haha!! Who am I kidding... get some mates around, sink lots of piss, do some skids then at 2am hack the hell out of it until its ruined! Everyone does!)

If you make it stiff at the back and stock at the front it will step out sideways suddenly. It will also pick up the inside rear wheel and single-spin you all over the place. Take the rear sway bar off & try it without first..

Thanks mate, much appreciated for the reply. Sorry if I was unclear, re: keeping them captive. I mean tweaking the cut ends flat so the spring has a level surface to sit on at both ends. Nah I wont do it at 2 am and the daily is AWD and the Ke70 is too gutless so no skids for me :( .

I love your rally car thread also, have read it several times!

Jes