Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Squeeky Fan Belt, Whats The Deal

Featured Replies

Ok so sometimes, getting more often now, on startup and lower revs the engine makes that terrible fan belt "SQUEEEEEEEEE"... so I've tightened the fan belt, but it still does it. Also from 1000 to 1500 revs half the time it goes "sqik sqik sqik sqik" like a squeeky trolley wheel that needs WD40 or something, as well as fairly often doing the "SQUEEE" crap. Should I be replacing the fan belt?

 

Chiars guys :)

"Belt Grip". It comes in an aerosol can. Just spray it on the belt and pulley. When it dries, it becomes tacky. We use it on the Drill Presses at work, and it works a treat.

 

You may have to try a few different Hardware Stores to find it. Generally the shops that sell more expensive tools stock it.

Edited by kangaroosa

could be a dry alternator,or water pump bearing.

 

Twincam?? could be cam belt idler bearing.

"Belt Grip". It comes in an aerosol can. Just spray it on the belt and pulley. When it dries, it becomes tacky. We use it on the Drill Presses at work, and it works a treat.

lucky and i call it "clutch in a can". remove the inspection plate on any bellhousing and you can quickly relieve a slipping clutch with (often-frequent) applications of clutch in a can :)

  • Author

coln72: I said "a trolley wheel that needs WD40" as a weird comparison for the noise my car makes. My engine does not incorporate any kind of shopping trolley wheel but thankyou for thinking i'm such a creative car tuner.

 

I think WD-40 is oil or incorporates oil. It generally stops squeaks. Its interesting that oil is actually the cause of fan belt squeaks! :D

 

Dry alternator? What that mean? Actually a while ago I was having troubles with my battery being flat after 10+ hours of inactivity. I assumed it was because I left my head unit connected and ahve been stopping doing that, giving it a lot of pumps of fuel and putting my foot to the floor when I turn the key. Could still be an alternator problem there.

 

No not twincam, I wish, I have a 4K-C

 

 

Random funny: my gf just said "oh cool. Its like a support group for your child. Except its not your baby. And you're not a mother."

And of course I replied yes it is my baby... =) :)

wd40 is a gummy lubricant, it dries and leaves residue

inox is a dispersant lubricant, it dries and leaves nothing

 

probably something to do with evaporation into the air. you can use either of these to your advantage. for example, to clean an unlubricated slider, you'd use wd40. to clean a bearing housing and repack it with grease, you'd use inox

It's just that I've used WD40 to quiet down noisey belts in the past.

 

Is there any water getting on to the belts? (Obviously after a skid pan session there would be). I've noticed that if my belts have water on them then they make a squeaking noise.

  • Author

Ah actually the noise first started happening for me after a motorkhana. Whether that was because of the water or the intense engine stress I don't know but there is a trend here.

  • Author

Apart from that I don't know... that was a good few months ago and it wasn't doing it much, and has been happeninh on and off. Good chance its just oil because at the motorkhna, at the time I had forgotten to (read: didn't realise I had to) attach that little hose going from the bottom of the carb to the tappet cover and had been running like that for ages without any problem, but after a few laps of the skidpan there was oil splattered all over the underneath of the bonnet :)

My rolla used to have a great squeking fan belt, but it only happened whieldrifting in the wet....(we can all relate to that!)

 

I just put sume soap on it or some lubricant of any sort......

 

and now stay well away from water puddles........ :)

Wd40 will take tar of your paint so I think it would help if it was oil. Hell its not like you don't have any lying around.

try not to use lubricant....it will make the belt slip more...

 

soap or candle wax, is what my dad normally uses.

 

also brake cleaner (bendix brand i normally use) it will take the shit off the belt and pulley and make it clean again.

Edited by Xany

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.