Starter Motor Issues

skizzamods

Hey,

The starter motor is gone in my ke70.. well I assume its that because it wont turnover.

So I took it out because i was going to take it to an auto electrician. But before I do that, is there any obvious things i should test out before i have to go spend any money on it?

Oscar

EDIT: I had it starting at one stage but I was having to have someone tap it lightly with a hammer or other tools. Then I tried jump starting it because the battery is screwed too, and it was starting easily then with no tapping. So all of a sudden it has stopped completely.

Edited by skizzamods

Members dont see this ad
yeah sounds like a seized started motor. you can't really do anything about it besides replace it or maybe get it refurbished. mine wasn't working and i found out there was no starter motor relay in the fuse box, just a wire connecting the terminals, DODGY!

Make a heat shield to shield the starter from the heat from ur exaust manifold. Its a comin problem apparently in the old corolla's.

Wiring is a quick fix too as rain just talked about. (works but dodgy as...)

Edited by timlewis82

yeah sounds like a seized started motor. you can't really do anything about it besides replace it or maybe get it refurbished. mine wasn't working and i found out there was no starter motor relay in the fuse box, just a wire connecting the terminals, DODGY!

Yehh I had the same problem with mine, so i went to supacheap auto and got a relay and some big wire and now i have aa relay connection full battery strength to the solenoid.

works extreamly well, even if my battery is a bit flat it still kicks the starter and the engine turns over.

Don't get it rebuilt, unless you have an auto electrical mate it will cost you an arm and a leg. Just go to an auto elec place and ask for a rebuild kit for that starter and pull it apart, easy (done them before).....the reason i'm saying this is, cause when i bought my ke35 the starter motor went and the previous owners spent 200 bucks getting it rebuilt. When it should of only cost 50 bucks or a bit more....

This wire you speak of is stock. Its where the loom for the auto switch is (stops the car from starting unless in park or neutral).

There is also terminals there for the reverse lights.

• 2 months later...

cheers guys, i pulled it apart and yeah it was siezed (and still is) but i have another to use for the time being.

Something odd happened though, I went to start the car up (test the starter motor), and fuel was stale so i knew it wasnt going to turnover.

I turned the key off and it was still running, then took the key out and still running. Weird? Now i have a flat battery haha

cheers guys, i pulled it apart and yeah it was seized (and still is) but i have another to use for the time being.

Something odd happened though, I went to start the car up (test the starter motor), and fuel was stale so i knew it wasn't going to turnover.

I turned the key off and it was still running, then took the key out and still running. Weird? Now i have a flat battery haha

same thing happened to me , lucky i could get the battery neg terminal off before my battery went flat. my problem was the screws holding the solenoid to the starter motor rattled them selves loose and just shorted them selves so the starter would keep on going. check the screws for the solenoid first and if the small terminal going to the solenoid if its touching the 12v power cable to the starter motor

also when my starter motor gave way, i check the voltage when it was on the "START" position and the battery voltage went down to 5V and the start motor was too hot to touch 20 Min's later LOL!

i had a spare ke70 starter motor in shed witch also had a heat shield on in

Edited by Evan G

For everyone,

suspected starter probs?

remove the starter and get some jumper leads. hook the leads up to a good battery and hook earth (black) to the body of the starter. touch the positive (red) to the small terminal (slide on). Watch the starter reaction. If it throws out consistently, starter should be ok. If you suspect an intermittent prob, do it a few times. If it shows up you've cancelled out other options and the starter is at fault. If not, power going to the beast is the prob.