Xany's 1990 Jza70 Supra

Xany

Members dont see this ad

you could race to 250km/h then (airstrip of course). might be closer, but xany would probably still win although i'm loving full boost gear changes with my auto.

from wiki:

A special version of the 1JZ-GTE equipped JZA70, the 2.5 Twin Turbo R, had black/gray Recaro seats, a Torsen differential, additional braces to mount the diff, Bilstein suspension and uprated springs, Momo wheel and gear knob and matching interior trim. This was the fastest factory production version of the Mk3 Supra, running a mid 14 second 1/4 mile. This model had no ABS and was the lightest of all the MK3 supras.

• 1 month later...

OK bit of an update on the supra....

After doing the timing belt and harmonic balancer, a problem arose with water leaking out somewhere from the cooling system near the radiator. It took me a few days to find where it was actually leaking from...at first i thought it was the radiator cap itself that was fuxxored. So i got a replacement one from autobarn, exactly the same type that was on the original radiator. Unfortunately the overflow bottle was still getting emptied every time i drove it for more than 30mins. I decided to follow where the water was coming from, and it still seemed to be from around the overflow outlet near the cap. I tried to repair the cracked overflow pipe i found....and was successful. However it was STILL leaking.....i then investigated a little further, to find that the top plastic tank of the radiator had a 4 inch hairline crack in it....allowing the coolant out at high pressure, but leaving no trace of water when it was cooling down.

Cue more decision making.....i could get the radiator top tank replaced and put the original one back in again. However i didnt know what the bottom tank was like, and i really didnt want to take the chance of it developing a crack as well. So i began searching for a replacement radiator....much to my amazement, Ebay actually had full alloy radiators for the JZA70 as a direct fit shipped from LA. $360 for one to be delivered to my door....i couldnt really go wrong. I ordered it on sunday the 13th, it was in the country on the friday and i received it on monday the 21st.....thats what i call quick delivery.

Installed it on thursday night....and heres the pics! :)

post-87-1261227468_thumb.jpg

post-87-1261227560_thumb.jpg

post-87-1261227584_thumb.jpg

post-87-1261227612_thumb.jpg

All done and hopefully wont give me a problem again. :P

OK bit of an update on the supra....

After doing the timing belt and harmonic balancer, a problem arose with water leaking out somewhere from the cooling system near the radiator. It took me a few days to find where it was actually leaking from...at first i thought it was the radiator cap itself that was fuxxored. So i got a replacement one from autobarn, exactly the same type that was on the original radiator. Unfortunately the overflow bottle was still getting emptied every time i drove it for more than 30mins. I decided to follow where the water was coming from, and it still seemed to be from around the overflow outlet near the cap. I tried to repair the cracked overflow pipe i found....and was successful. However it was STILL leaking.....i then investigated a little further, to find that the top plastic tank of the radiator had a 4 inch hairline crack in it....allowing the coolant out at high pressure, but leaving no trace of water when it was cooling down.

Cue more decision making.....i could get the radiator top tank replaced and put the original one back in again. However i didnt know what the bottom tank was like, and i really didnt want to take the chance of it developing a crack as well. So i began searching for a replacement radiator....much to my amazement, Ebay actually had full alloy radiators for the JZA70 as a direct fit shipped from LA. $360 for one to be delivered to my door....i couldnt really go wrong. I ordered it on sunday the 13th, it was in the country on the friday and i received it on monday the 21st.....thats what i call quick delivery.

Installed it on thursday night....and heres the pics! :lol:

post-87-1261227468_thumb.jpg

post-87-1261227560_thumb.jpg

post-87-1261227584_thumb.jpg

post-87-1261227612_thumb.jpg

All done and hopefully wont give me a problem again. :yes:

Looks the goods! I had the exact same problem with my rad on my JZA70, i ended up gluing it for 2 months before i got a new one :P

Looks good man makes me wish i didn't sell my supra.

Profile1.jpg

Edited by RA28GT

• 6 months later...

So bit of an update on the Supra,

The stock clutch (now 20 years old) started slipping about a month ago...it was still driving ok, but as soon as you wanted to put down any sort of power it would slip and just sit there. So i started looking at replacements. I thought for sure i was going to be up for at least a grand for a decent exedy clutch kit, however i was surprised when they were only around $700. I did some more research and then a mate of mine put me onto a place that rebuilds clutches. I thought it would be definitely cheaper to go that way, and get my pressure plate rebuilt.

Now, i didnt realise the 1JZ-R154 combination used a pull type clutch, which instead of the throwout bearing pushing against the fingers of the pressure plate, the throwout bearing is "clipped" into the fingers of the pressure plate and then pulls back towards the gearbox to disengage the clutch. My brother (mechanic) let me know before pulling the box out that they can be a bitch of a job, depending on how it's "clipped" in. I ended up doing some research on the net about it, and found that the only real way to get the box out was to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel while the box is still in the car (the bellhousing has an inspection plate on either side to get to the bolts). With the new clutch rebuilt to a Hi-Torque spec, one above heavy duty, but still using an organic clutch plate, we installed it back in and its now awesome to drive again :lol:

I never really liked the thought of Nissan wheels on a Toyota, so i've been on the lookout for some decent wheels to replace them (plus the fact that the fronts scrub a little in hard cornering). Yesterday i went to check out an importers down the goldy, and ended up purchasing some Work Emotion XD9 Rims. They are 17x 9.5 rears and 17x 8.5 fronts....they look absolutely awesome, i never thought bronze and dark green would look so good together. Anyway, on with the pics!

post-87-1277606399_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606405_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606411_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606417_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606424_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606439_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606445_thumb.jpg

post-87-1277606466_thumb.jpg