The Physics of Drifting.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... And to think I've been doing it all wrong all these years. 80 years of Grand Prix, thousands of racing car drivers, all wrong.

I hear Schumaker is in an AE86 next year.

Solberg is coming out in a Skyline.....

Edited by Redwarf

grip driving....entering corner must hit the brake before entering its. open limited gas at corner apex.

drift driving....entering corner at high speed mostly at 100km/h. open wide gas at corner apex.

I havn't even read through this whole thread yet, but if you are saying that because you have your foot on the gas pedal more when you drift that its faster.... then.... no? Are you insane? Thats like saying, if someone masturbates every sperm WILL turn into a baby. Drifting is masturbation and grip driving is sex. :down:

What I'm saying is, all that power is going into destroying your tires and impressing people with your action packed corner instead of actually getting you through the corner quickly.

Ok its nice to think yes, if I go into a corner so fast that I slide out of control, if I can control this slide without reducing my speed then I am going faster than if I didn't slide out of control: "drift". This is insane. You will almost always do better if your engine's power is connected to the road via your tires instead of sliding so you can actually get power to the ground instead of sliding around. I reckon you will make A LOT MORE ground accelerating out of the corner than sliding through it, even if you do have to slow down before a bit before you enter the corner. Entry speed doesn't have much to do with actually taking a quick corner.

Do Indy cars drift?

Do V8 supercars drift?

Does ANY on-road sport have drifters?

Yes, they never made it into any races, because they're insane. INSANE! :)

Yes there is an on-road sport that incorporates drifting as a method that works. Its called ummmm.... drift