Throttle Cable? Sugestions Please?

Dann_m

Hey guys, so i've got a problem with my accelorator on my 4k ke70 the throttle seems to stick if u press it down fast and it doesnt release for a while, the car had been sitting for about 9months so i thought it was just a bit seized. i've tryed a few things but can't narrow it down, i've sprayed crc on the pedal and the springs, that didnt work i had a look at the springs and the release mechanism but it looks fine to me, the only thing i can come to is that the throttle calbe is just old and worn out that its been stretched so it doesnt come back in all the way, something like that anyway.

if anyone has had this problem in the past please let me know or what i can do to fix it.

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad

Not quite the same, but when we converted the auto to a manual the clutch cable was pretty tight, so I hung it from a nail in the wall and every time I walked past it I gave it a shot of oil from an oilcan. Over a few days it loosened up and when oil dripped out the bottom I fitted it.

Worked fine ever since!

Not quite the same, but when we converted the auto to a manual the clutch cable was pretty tight, so I hung it from a nail in the wall and every time I walked past it I gave it a shot of oil from an oilcan. Over a few days it loosened up and when oil dripped out the bottom I fitted it.

Worked fine ever since!

haha not quite the trick i want to use, i may pop down to the wreckers down the road see if they got any decent throttle cables, in the mean time while I'm there i'll check out some caronas nd celicas. :dance:

Worked fine ever since!

bahahhahahaha omg your full of dodgyness i love it ! :dance:

g`day mate, at a guess I`d say that you have a thirty plus year old throttle cable that has never been lubed in its life. Rather than go to a wrecker and buy one just like it, ring around any of your local motorcycle dealers and ask if they will sell you a gismo called a cable luber.

Its a little aluminium and rubber contraption that attaches to the end of the cable outer and allows you to spray lubricant inside. Might cost a few bucks but you`ll never have a sticky cable again.

They are commonly used on throttle, brake and clutch cables on motorbikes.

Good luck. Old Fella.

And for the mean time, if its the actual carby thats getting stuck and not just the cable.

Throw another return spring on it.

And have a really strong leg. When I was competing, I had to run two return springs on each carby. Four springs makes for a hard accelerator pedal.........

I suggest that you disconnect the cable from the carby to see if your problem is with the cable or if it is the actual carby itself. If it is the cable and you can slide the inner out (can't remember off the top of my head if you can do that), spray some silicon spray all over it as dirt and shit wont stick to it like it will to CRC etc.

Edited by coln72

get a new cable made..... there are places that will make a brand new one to your specifications, how do you think all of us with modified carburettors get things done?

Robert.

Oh true i didn't know such a place exsisted :) well i'll be sure to look them up!

Cheers.

And have a really strong leg. When I was competing, I had to run two return springs on each carby. Four springs makes for a hard accelerator pedal.........

I suggest that you disconnect the cable from the carby to see if your problem is with the cable or if it is the actual carby itself. If it is the cable and you can slide the inner out (can't remember off the top of my head if you can do that), spray some silicon spray all over it as dirt and shit wont stick to it like it will to CRC etc.

The problem is with the cable I'm pretty sure, i've sprayed shitloads of crc on the pedal springs and the return springs.

but it still does it, I'm not sure if it could be something else simple.

Cheers.