July 5, 200521 yr comment_55984 It appears that I've got a small problem with my headlights on the Corolla. When the car is off, if I turn the headlights on, the dash highbeam light comes on, but the headlights don't. I can hear the headlight relay click, but the lights don't actually come on. If I turn the engine on, then everything works as they should. If I then turn the engine off with the lights on, the lights stay on. *sometimes* when I turn the lights on (with the engine off), they come on, but most of the time it just brings up the highbeam light... And, if I push the stalk to highbeam, nothing happens. But if I flick it to flash the highbeam, the highbeam comes on. WTF??? My two guesses are either: 1) bad earth somewhere 2) dodgy headlight relay Any ideas? Report
July 5, 200521 yr Author comment_55996 Dunno. I had a quick look to see if I could spot a loose earth, couldn't find one. Don't have any spare headlight relays to test the one that's there at the moment. Too slack :P Report
July 6, 200521 yr comment_56007 Quick easy fix, just bash the relay with an end of a screwdriver to see if it is just sticking. If nothing happens then look somewhere else. Report
July 6, 200521 yr Author comment_56009 Bash the relay? Hmm, ok. But you can hear it go "click". It's just that not much else happens. I wonder why it works when the engine is on? Higher voltage? If so, I wonder why it stays on when you turn the engine off? Weird. Report
July 6, 200521 yr comment_56035 Replace the realy with a new one, its quiet easy. Horn realys are rated about 40amps, enough for lights. IIRC they have 3 plugs. one will be common ground. You can get the spade plugs from your local electronics store. Spade Plugs http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?...eMax=&SUBCATID= Edited July 6, 200521 yr by Jason Report
July 6, 200521 yr Author comment_56039 Jason: Haha, yes I know how to wire up a generic relay :P I've still got the stock headlight relay in the Corolla, so in order to put in a generic relay (which would probably be a good idea anyway) I'll need to do some rewiring (ie, figure out which wire is which, cut the original plug off and connect the correct wires to the correct pins on the relays). Not very difficult, I know. Report
July 6, 200521 yr comment_56078 you can swap the high beam and low beam circuits (they're just two wires each) to see if it really is the relay causing the problem i had the same problem a while back in the ke25, and it was a broken join in the wire going to the low beam circuit. diagnosed by jiggling the wiring loom Report
July 6, 200521 yr comment_56133 i must say though....i could never figure out the way toyota wired their headlights.....i always became confused and gave up even trying to hook up a relay to put brighter headlights in.... Report
July 6, 200521 yr Author comment_56148 diagnosed by jiggling the wiring loom Tried that too, no difference. Ah well, when it properly stops working I might have a better look at it :P Report
July 6, 200521 yr comment_56151 bubba did something like this to me; first none of the light would work, then only the left ones would work (high and low) i wiggled both plugs on both bulbs and they've been working since..... Report
July 7, 200521 yr comment_56187 i must say though....i could never figure out the way toyota wired their headlights.....i always became confused and gave up even trying to hook up a relay to put brighter headlights in.... I'm with Xany. The way Toyota wire up their headlights in the K series is wierd. From what I've worked out, most of the problems seem to be in the light switch unit on the steering column. There's lots of little contacts in there, and close inspection shows that some are carrying a lot of current, which doesn't figure when there is a relay to do all that work. Appears the headlight relay is only for LOW BEAD. The HI BEAM is switched via the stork switch directly without a relay. There is a seperate contact for HI BEAM indicator (blue light) & HI BEAM lights, and HI BEAM flasher, in the switch itself. All very confusing. I found all this out when I lost HI BEAM altogether, but HI BEAM still worked on the HI BEAM flasher. I solved problem by installing a dual relay from SuperAutoCheap and swapping around a couple of wires in the light switch so the lights work in a more conventional wiring manner. The dual light relay has fuses built in. Mount the dual relay up close to the battery & run wires to fusible link & Hi & Lo beams. Result: cuts down the usual voltage drops, as power lighting circuit is relatively short. Oh, my lights are brighter now !!! :P Report
July 7, 200521 yr Author comment_56189 Banjo: That is the most interesting post I've read on any forum for a long time now. THANK YOU :P Report
July 7, 200521 yr Author comment_56190 The lights in the Corolla are actually very good. Much much better than the ones in my old pink one anyway. But if I can pull more light, all the better. I should drag out the old wiring diagrams and rewire the lights again :P How did you go about rewiring the switch "in a more conventional manner"? Edited July 7, 200521 yr by demuire Report
July 7, 200521 yr comment_56191 The lights in mine are pretty good too. Particularly with 100/140 globes.... Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now