Stupid Electrical Problem With Headlights

demuire

It appears that I've got a small problem with my headlights on the Corolla. When the car is off, if I turn the headlights on, the dash highbeam light comes on, but the headlights don't. I can hear the headlight relay click, but the lights don't actually come on.

If I turn the engine on, then everything works as they should. If I then turn the engine off with the lights on, the lights stay on.

*sometimes* when I turn the lights on (with the engine off), they come on, but most of the time it just brings up the highbeam light...

And, if I push the stalk to highbeam, nothing happens. But if I flick it to flash the highbeam, the highbeam comes on.

WTF???

My two guesses are either:

1) bad earth somewhere

2) dodgy headlight relay

Any ideas?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace the realy with a new one, its quiet easy.

Horn realys are rated about 40amps, enough for lights. IIRC they have 3 plugs. one will be common ground.

You can get the spade plugs from your local electronics store.

Spade Plugs

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?...eMax=&SUBCATID=

Edited by Jason

Jason: Haha, yes I know how to wire up a generic relay :P

I've still got the stock headlight relay in the Corolla, so in order to put in a generic relay (which would probably be a good idea anyway) I'll need to do some rewiring (ie, figure out which wire is which, cut the original plug off and connect the correct wires to the correct pins on the relays). Not very difficult, I know.

you can swap the high beam and low beam circuits (they're just two wires each) to see if it really is the relay causing the problem

i had the same problem a while back in the ke25, and it was a broken join in the wire going to the low beam circuit. diagnosed by jiggling the wiring loom

i must say though....i could never figure out the way toyota wired their headlights.....i always became confused and gave up even trying to hook up a relay to put brighter headlights in....

i must say though....i could never figure out the way toyota wired their headlights.....i always became confused and gave up even trying to hook up a relay to put brighter headlights in....

I'm with Xany. The way Toyota wire up their headlights in the K series is wierd.

From what I've worked out, most of the problems seem to be in the light switch unit on the steering column. There's lots of little contacts in there, and close inspection shows that some are carrying a lot of current, which doesn't figure when there is a relay to do all that work. Appears the headlight relay is only for LOW BEAD. The HI BEAM is switched via the stork switch directly without a relay.

There is a seperate contact for HI BEAM indicator (blue light) & HI BEAM lights, and HI BEAM flasher, in the switch itself. All very confusing.

I found all this out when I lost HI BEAM altogether, but HI BEAM still worked on the HI BEAM flasher.

I solved problem by installing a dual relay from SuperAutoCheap and swapping around a couple of wires in the light switch so the lights work in a more conventional wiring manner. The dual light relay has fuses built in.

Mount the dual relay up close to the battery & run wires to fusible link & Hi & Lo beams.

Result: cuts down the usual voltage drops, as power lighting circuit is relatively short. Oh, my lights are brighter now !!!

:P

The lights in the Corolla are actually very good. Much much better than the ones in my old pink one anyway. But if I can pull more light, all the better. I should drag out the old wiring diagrams and rewire the lights again :P

How did you go about rewiring the switch "in a more conventional manner"?

Edited by demuire