Ke30 Ke55 Brakes

shauns ke30

hey all I'm just doing some work on the ke30

eg. new balljoints, front bearing's, disks and pads

i went to the the brake and clutch shop and got some new rotors for the rolla had to get them orded in

but some how the bloke got the wrong one's he got ke55 rotors

and he reckons the ke55 rotors are a 1mm bigger then the ke30 rotors???

will they still fit on my ke30 struts and caliper???

or do i need to put the ke55 calipers on??

sorry just another stupid question :)

cheers shaun

Members dont see this ad

Looking through my copy of the DBA catalogue and yep their different. The KE's that had the sumitomo calipers uses rotors of a 10mm thickness where as the girlock calipers are 12.7mm thick.

Both ke3x and early '5x used both. The late '55 and '70 used the girlock caliper.

Wheel bearings are the same and the bolt points for the calipers are the same. So in a way if you can go the girlocks go the girlocks for a slight upgrade.

Looking through my copy of the DBA catalogue and yep their different. The KE's that had the sumitomo calipers uses rotors of a 10mm thickness where as the girlock calipers are 12.7mm thick.

Both ke3x and early '5x used both. The late '55 and '70 used the girlock caliper.

Wheel bearings are the same and the bolt points for the calipers are the same. So in a way if you can go the girlocks go the girlocks for a slight upgrade.

wooo nice thanks for the info :blush:

but got me think so i can just bolt girlocks on with no mods???? i can get these cheap :)

at the moment it has sumitomo on it?

and and and i head some think about bandix holden rear sport pads!!!! fit on the front of ke**'s????

do these pads fit both girlocks and sumitomo??

any one no the part number?? or what kinda holden are they off??

:) looks like ill be putting some more stuff in the KB/FAQ :)

CHEERS

and and and i head some think about bandix holden rear sport pads!!!! fit on the front of ke**'s????

do these pads fit both girlocks and sumitomo??

any one no the part number?? or what kinda holden are they off??

The rear pads from a VN Commodore fit into the late Girlock calipers, they're not the same part number but are essentially the same, just slightly thicker (you need to push the piston alllll the way back into the caliper). Stock KE part number is DB1086, the Commodore part number is DB1088

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Not a surprise they started using girlocks around the time they started using GM trimatics. BTW the girlocks were first used in the coupes before made available to all of the corollas with the late KE55's.

I may be wrong but I was once told you'll need KE55 backing plates?

The rear pads from a VN Commodore fit into the late Girlock calipers, they're not the same part number but are essentially the same, just slightly thicker (you need to push the piston alllll the way back into the caliper). Stock KE part number is DB1086, the Commodore part number is DB1088

early commodre rear pads are db1086

The rear pads from a VN Commodore fit into the late Girlock calipers, they're not the same part number but are essentially the same, just slightly thicker (you need to push the piston alllll the way back into the caliper). Stock KE part number is DB1086, the Commodore part number is

cheers :yes: thank you

jip!!! (I may be wrong but I was once told you'll need KE55 backing plates?)

are you 100% sure :wink: if so when i go down ill get the backing plates too save me going back again

Edited by shauns ke30

i tried vn commo rear brakes in the front of my 55, theres hardly any difference in surface area but i also discovered they sit closer to the inside on the rotor (theres about 4mm gap from top of the pad and the top of the rotor)

ill draw a pic if anyone can't understand

are you 100% sure :( if so when i go down ill get the backing plates too save me going back again

Nah you don't need the backing plates. bolt spacing and everything is the same. One thing that is different between the sumi and Girlock caliper though is the end of the brake line where it goes into the caliper. One has a normal flair and the other has an inverted flair. If you try and screw the wrong one in tight you'll actually crack the casting of the caliper like I once did!! :wink:

it just moves the pad in toward the hub more, don't waste your time

Evan, Evan, Evan. :yes:

The whole point of using commo pads instead of corolla ones is the fact that it opens up a much better choice of better performing pads. You can't get pads like Bendix Ultimates for a corolla, only generic normal road use ones.

Edited by Taz_Rx