Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Advice On 03 Magna's.

Featured Replies

I'm looking at buying a 2003 Magna TS for the missus as a family car. A mate told me they have electrical problems and are un reliable. Does anyone else have any prior or second hand knowledge on them? I've done a bit of googling but most reviews seem to come from the lay person.

 

It has semi low k's, arount 130k. Full service etc....

 

The missus is bang up on it just because of the looks (black, tints, 18's, spoiler etc) but I don't know enough to know if its something thats going to last.

 

Everyone is telling me to get a falcon for reliability and I agree but I promised the miss I'd do some research on the magna.

 

Cheers in advance.

 

magna.jpg

Edited by blzbub666

  • Replies 47
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AFAIK the late magna's are a pretty decent and reliable car, I have not seen any faults on them as yet, I think the majority of people don't like magna's due to the earlier versions being a BOS, Just keep up it's servicing and don't let the auto fluid get dirty also check to see if the rear plugs were done.

Rear plugs are iridium and the front are conventional plugs from factory. The only electrical issues I've known them to commonly have is the car loosing the codes for the keys and remotes and having to reprogram them. Like Trev said keep the maintenance up and they are fine for a fwd 6 cylinder.

Edited by AE70

What plugs do you mean? Spark plugs? Do they have two different kinds?

 

Yes, many FWD V6's are known to run a different type of spark plug from front to rear. Iridiums are usually used in the rear bank as they last longer. The front plugs are usually just run of the mill as they are easy to change.

My dad owns a TH magna, 99 model. Absolutely great car, was driving it last night and tell ya what I would pick it over a commodore/falcon any day of the week. A bloke at my old work used to work at the mitsubishi factory and he beleives the '01 magna onwards are a heap of garbage, apparently the 'knock sensor' is a common problem and expensive to fix, and according to him, quite un-economical. He agrees with me that the TH is the best magna for reliability and in my opinion, looks too.

I offer this advice purely as a car broker... ie: someone who processes about 20 cars a month, some of which I buy to order, some I buy myself to recondition and sell. Everything from 2k shitboxes to 70k Landcruisers.

 

I don't touch anything with a Mitsubishi badge unless the client specifically requests it.

 

That is all.

timing belt i think needs replacing every 150 thou kms?use a timing belt kit if available?this is easy mate as you have plenty of room between the chassis and front timing cover.

oil leaks on rocker covers,i suggest you replace the rocker cover on the right and left banks using genuine gasket as aftermarket just expand and leak in no time.

last thing the rubber plug(60mm diameter?) behind the cylinder head too.

Right, gotcha. Never been near a 6cyl FWD before. All new to me.

 

How are FWD 6's for CV joint wear?

cv`s you can get for $80 trade brand new outer so there are cheap as and i get them from Sydney Drive Shaft.

Ive heard they are thirsty too.

 

Stay away from a falcon then...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.