Hill Climb

chappo12

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol sorry forgot about that

Mate, my best tip is get all your braking done before you get to the corner. There is no point in trying to brake and turn at the same time. Slow in , fast out. And in the corner, don't put your foot down till you know you don't have to take it off again.

Good luck mate and have fun. Paul.

so i race tomorrow

my pre race prep so far is ive watched days of thunder

so i should be all set to race i will post pics as soon as i get them

i strip some weight out of the car had a race seat lying around so i put that in

gave the motor a service

do i need tape a blue triangle were my battery is ?????

just to clarify a point here if you don't mind, what tyre pressures would you reccommend and why?

we run 18-24 with rally tyres depending on conditions and mud etc, we ran 24 in the slicks we used for the last hillclimb, but on normal street tyres in a tarmac hillclimb, what sort of pressures should you run? :(, you said 40 psi, is there any reason for this? I think we ran 32 psi in these tyres for the last descent. They are firestone firehawk tz100 tyres in a 195/60r14 on a 7" wide super light weight set of rims (that I don't think are a J or JJ profile, they look custom/handmade by someone with a lot of time/money/skills).

Robert.

from what I gather, having never run a speed event myself, but kylie has run a few, you need to keep it in mind that you can and should use ALL of the track for corners, make sure you are on the outer edge of the track well before the corner and cut it right to the inside and end up back on the outside. its hard to get road habits gone for racing!

have fun :(

Robert.

You'll be right, don't try to go too hard on the first run, just get a feel for the track and try to take note of the places you could have gone faster, where you didn't need to brake, where you should've slowed down a bit more, etc.

Definitely talk to other drivers there as, although they may all not know completely what you're talking about, you get some hints off some of the more experienced ones on markers of where to aim for when going around corners (i.e. a grate or a certain tree is the apex of the corner).

A fast take off makes a huge difference and if it's a flying finish make sure you don't start slowing down until after the finish line. Check your times after each one and aim to shave a few seconds off eachtime.

Definitely watch the other cars - you'll notice some of them get it very right and some of them get it oh so wrong, and Rob is right - don't be afraid to use the whole of the track. I found it hard in my first couple of tarmac events to switch off the side of my brain that was used to driving on public roads and only using my "lane".

I find most scrutineers want a triangle, and racing tape does the trick nicely, also race numbers are preferred for larger events. They also check for things like a secure seat, safe seat belts, secure battery, secure throttle return, covered headlights for those with glass, an approved helmet, fire extinguisher and wrist to neck to ankle clothing and non-nylon enclosed shoes. I don't know what they would be like there though.

Most of all, just have fun!!! :(