Big Port 4age In Ae71 Timing Problem

Damon550

i can find Top Dead Centre fine

i used the way beerhead said the first time till i found out about the mark in the cam

when the engine is at TDC the timing mark is in 10 degrees

so I'm guessing that i had to set my timing and extra 10 degrees advanced, as in i want 16 degrees i have to set it at 26

still yet to hook up warning light and test the diagnostic mode

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So when the crank is at 10 deg are the cam timing marks line up on the cams? Take a pic of both. I reakon both your cams are out of wack no other way for the pipes to glow red. Ignition timing won't do that, only cam timing.

Sounds like you don't actually have a problem. If the cam timing is all on the timing marks with piston 1 at TDC, and the timing marks say 10 deg BTDC when its really at TDC then the motor is really running at 16 deg BTDC at idle when you're gun says 26 deg. Get a white paint pen and put a new TDC mark lined up with zero on the crank pulley when the piston is at the top of its stroke. I bet the timing is where you thought it should be. 20V timing pulleys are offset, I'm sure there's more out there that are the same from what others have said.

Need some pics to help, but if the motor isn't getting hot and the pipes aren't glowing at idle then you should be fine. Making reasonable power?

when the engine is at TDC the timing mark is in 10 degrees

This really sounds like you have your cam timing out, DON'T believe what you are seeing on the crank pulley.

Pull off the crank pulley and use the timing mark on the crank gear to check your timing(TDC mark).

Don't use your cam gears either as a reference, you need to start at the crank mark and work from there!!!

The crank pulley(harmonic balancer) can slip as it has a rubber insert.

good luck

okay sorry to bother you guys i was slack when i took the TDC and found it was 10degrees advanced so...

done it propper today by tyhe mark on the crank cam pully and its all good TDC is at 0 degrees

but saying that now i am wondering why it had to be on 28 dergees advanced to run nice?

i have some photos the cam marks don't look like they line up but they do

post-5632-1273581027_thumb.jpg

post-5632-1273581219_thumb.jpg

post-5632-1273581301_thumb.jpg

Edited by Damon550

Are you setting the timing with the correct pins bridge in the diag connector?

Also is your crank pulley from a 4age or 4agze as they use different points to set the timing off.

Did you read page 1?

It looks like a gze pulley but only the needle type crank pulley is different.

Edited by Trev

i have two pullys the one in that pic is another i got and the origional had the two pullys the same size.

the diagnostic port problem i have to get a spare bit of time and put a warning light in and then play with it

thank you guys heaps with all your help it as greatly appreciated

can we get a more front on view of the cam gears?

i can see a nice white dot on the intake gear, but can't quite see where the dot is on the exhaust side.

though if you have done the same on the exhaust side then you should be right.

also you have the dot lined up down on the timing belt gear on the crank? can't quite see it down there. but if you have taken a pic of it then you should be right.