Twinky's Old Fart [Now Super Dooper Charged]

Twinky

Well. It has definitely been a while since my last update but for good reasons. For the past months I've been quite busy being a dad

and all the things that come with it. The unfortunate part of that is of course time and money as the missus has only returned to part time work

which means I can't splurge out on things as much. No joke the little one sleeps through the angle grinder.

Congratulations man, by the sounds of things you've got it good so far. :D

Hope you get to keep the gilmer setup, looks awesome. Good luck with tuning! :y:

• 2 months later...
Members dont see this ad

I think that someone could base my life on some sort of frustrating drama movie. At this very moment in time I am completely car-less.

After my suspicious 5k noise I have found out that it is most likely that the 5k is completely fine because of something else I found by chance.

After dropping in my old 4k which had been earlier reconditioned (head) and everything back together I found that I was not getting any boost pressure what so ever.

After checking all the plumbing I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the hell was going on so I decide to pull everything apart again.

Now usually I unbolt the manifolds taking off the top nuts first but for some reason I did the bottom nuts first and to my surprise the manifold top nuts were not holding the manifold at all!!!

The thickness of the two manifolds is not the same! On some of the mounts it looks like there are grinding marks so at some stage the previous owner ground down some mounting points for some strange reason.

Some of the points only hold just enough tension to look like they are holding the manifold on tight. My next plan of action was to get my spare head and dummy fit on the extractors and inlet and go at it with a die grinder. So I start to bolt everything to the spare head and what do I see?? The bottom of the manifold does not even touch the face of the head when bolted on. The inlet and exhaust runners foul causing a gap of about 2mm with the bolts fully tensioned. So of course when you are bolting it in the engine bay everything looks fine because you can't see the underside of the manifold.

What else happens when you tighten a bolt on a piece of rigid metal acting like a leaver? It mother ʞ©$ɟing cracks that's what. A big ʞ©$ɟ off crack going at a 45 through the mount hole and up the runner back down to the mounting again. the piece was only holding on by it's last breath ready to brake off at the slightest fart. It's like someone shit in my breakfast and then threw it in my face.

$300 later I have it back from the boys at TW engineering, crack ground out and re welded inside and out, mounting faces built up and faced to match, re faced exhaust and inlet and sand blasted too!

Unfortunately at this time the supercharger will not go back on as I am re designing the mount and tensioner pulleys to sit more square and have more adjustment to them, I found that the belt was rubbing on the crank pulley because of a miss match on the charger pulley and tensioner pulleys. Close enough is not good enough.

Also a reason for the charger coming off is because tuning by throttle position is an extremely bad way of tuning a motor because at what the load can change over a wide range. This is another nail in the coffin for Morepower who initially tuned my engine, they told me that they could not tune it by MAP sensor. After many coasting, idling problems I decided to try out tune my MAP and of course at first it did not work. But!!!!!! I saw that the reading of the graph were going from right to left instead of left to right. So after 5 mins I got the car to idle perfectly off the MAP (before my inlet was found to be fubar). So if they failed to see that reading error I doubt I'm taking my car back there. From now on I'll just wait in line for Brenton from Fours n More.

So now, I'll source a 2 bar map sensor before I go about putting the supercharger back on.

To top it all off my other car that had an engine rebuild, needed another one because some moron cracked a ring while placing it on the piston and failed to check it before putting the piston in the bore.

This resulted in a scratched bore and excessive oil consumption. This is how Paradise Motors Mazda gave me back my car, ʞ©$ɟed. Good thing I got a warranty for the motor because they are still after 4 ʞ©$ɟing weeks rebuilding the engine again, when they got it back they again ʞ©$ɟed it by dropping the engine and "mangled a dowel on the head" as was said to me. Good thing we got a courtesy car from them. I can understand that it is not always the dealerships fault on what happens with the car but FFS they are in charge and in care of my car, so technically the buck stops with them. Proper checks should be done before handing over a car which has had the equivalent of open heart surgery.

On another note my health has improved from all the walking that I have been forced to do.

Edited by Twinky

Hang in there dude, eventually the gremlins get bored and move on to someone else...around here, sometimes we hang little Gremlin Bells under our bikes and cars. Legend has it that the little gremlins that jump on your car while you are driving down the road can't stand high pitched sounds...the tinkling of the bell causes them to stick their fingers in their ears, thus having nothing to grip with, they fall off your car. Problem is...you can't buy your own, it has to be given, and you can't ask someone to give you one.

Well...... Half way to work this morning and BAM! Suspected oil pump failure.... Well it didn't exactly go bam, it was more like a whir whir whir noise with the engine cutting off. Engine is well seized up. ʞ©$ɟ my life.

Edited by Twinky

Sounds like you're having a blast chasing down problems as your trying to do upgrades. That is never alot of fun but the payoo is worth it. Car looks pretty clean though wish mine was as nice, btw did corollas out there generally come with ac?

They came with the ingenious 2-60 AC system, with the four door sedan upgraded to a 4-60 system.

• 1 month later...

Update! Update! Update!

Got some dodgey arse 4K from a KE70 and installed it over the weekend. Had a few issues with it like an exhaust leak, the carby catching fire, rough as guts idle, spark gap way out,

mechanical fuel pump taking a chunk out of the block and to top it all off the fuel mixture in the stock carby was waaaay off. After a few days of sussing, swearing, gluing, more swearing

and bleeding I got it to a state fit to drive to work. The only problem that remained was the carby fuel mixture was causing the car to respond very poorly to the throttle and I was finding

it that hard to drive becuase taking off needed to have the clutch half engaged to stop the motor from stalling.

So about 4 hours ago I went down to the wreckers and got myself a Nikki carb. No more than 30 mins after arriving from home the Nikki carby was on and she fired up first spin and idled fairly well.

It idles at around 1200rpm, any lower and it starts to slow down and stall. Something I'll have to play around with later. Took it for a test drive and I must say it is definitely an improvement even over a perfectly functioning

Aisin carb.

Piccies!

Awesomeness

Still need to find it some sort of sports filter to fit over it.

IMG_0128.jpg

I love how you can actually see the fuel level and the float. Sits on the target line too!

IMG_0139.jpg

Had to dodgey up the spring return mechanism because the standard one fouls on inlet runner #4.

Works fine. Also had to drill out the throttle cable hole by about 2mm to get the K series throttle pin to fit.

IMG_0130.jpg

Dodgey arse patch up of the hole in the Block where the fuel pump took a massive chunk out of the block.

IMG_0132.jpg

Rats nest of wiring (will clean it up on the weekend) and the trusty old facet pump.

IMG_0133.jpg

My dodgey AFR meter and boost/vacc guage. Currently making a blanking plate to fit the sensors in that area of the dash

along with an oil pressure sensor.

IMG_0138.jpg

My extreemely dodgey throttle stop!!! Will have to find a shorter cable of some sort or a better way of doing it.

Currently it's just a washer with a small slot in it to fit the cable through and clamped either end with a nut and bolt combo!

Works great but is still dodgey.

IMG_0137.jpg

Edited by Twinky