Twinky's Old Fart [Now Super Dooper Charged]

Twinky

Members dont see this ad

Inlet done! Just have to wait now for my welder to get this all done.

Picture005.jpg

Picture004-5.jpg

No I just have to get the fuel lines done.

Anyone recomend a place north of adelaide?

I'll check out ENZED and see what they can do for me in the time being.

Hey twinky,

Appears you and I have the same setup, somewhat. From what I learned about my setup, you will HAVE to change the way your carby is facing, it needs to have the Fuel Bowl facing towards the front of the car, otherwise when you plant it, your fuel may not hit the jets properly and cause LAG! Also make sure it's DEAD LEVEL.

All the best, Jake.

I am hoping to get a hold of a sidedraft carb thus eliminating the need for all that plumbing. But yeah, I'll be able to swing the carby around 180 and have it facing the original direction

if I run into problems. The level seems ok for now but I will have to check it when it is sitting in the engine bay to make sure. Cheers for the advice.

Lots of work done recently! Changed the head gasket, new thermo, extended extractors, reset timing, reset air fuel idle mixture.

All the time spent was worth it though, I now have a sweet running 5k!

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture003-6.jpg

And now recently I have reclamed my parking spot from the missus.

Picture004-6.jpg

mmmmmm tools..........

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Should be getting the charger plumbing done soon.

• 3 months later...

Well it's about god damn time for an update. things have been going quite slow to be honest as doing some house mods

has been taking up alot of time. But to get things really excited I have once again changed plans, for like the 100th time.

Although this plan still retains a supercharger so it is a good change! I will let the pics do the talking.

Picture009.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Mmmmmmmm....... Fuel injected goodness.... Supra injectors....Managed to get a 4k EFI setup from a fellow member and now things have started to pick up again.

I had the Haltech for a few years now, it's a E6 that originally came off of a FJ20 that a friend used to own. So when I saw the manifold up for sale

I almost instantly messaged the bloke. Now I can finally make use of the old dinosaur. Great thing about the old Haltech is that it uses all GM parts

for sensors and the like. So a few trips up to U-pull it and got myself nearly everything I need to get me started from early model commodores.

Picture017-1.jpg

There is only a few things left to sort like the trigger wheel and trigger home that I have to make up but apart from that it is almost all there.

I have alreay made an adaptor for the TPS as the original 4k TPS is a 3 position switch and what is needed is an rotary potentiometer.

So basically I scrummaged through U-pull it cars untill I found a model that had the correct style of TPS that I wanted and that it spun in the

correct direction. I made an adaptor spacer and changed the style of lock-in plug in the sensor to a D slot and it is almost ready to go on.

Just have to make a little plate to cover a small gap and then paint it so that it does not look soo daggy.

Picture013-1.jpg

Now my attention focuses towards a trigger wheel. I am thinking of making a rare earth magnet 180 degree opposed wheel with a hall effect sensor

mounted on the crankshaft to match the needs of the Haltech and for the Home trigger I will go off of the camshaft pulley.

At this stage I will only be controlling fuel untill I figure out what I need to get for direct fire Ignition. The Haltech I have only has

one ignition output so I may have to use a MSD system, I'm not quite sure yet. Failing that i will just use the dizzy and controll the spark with

the Haltech, not that it is bad just that it is limited.

I'll post as many updates and pictures as I can and hope to cover the conversion as thoroughly as I can. If anyone has a question with regards to EFI

I'm sure that I will be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction. It's not as hard as people think it is, just have to do alot of reading

and net blod trawling.

• 3 months later...

Well, I've finally gotten off my arse and started to fit all of the gear that I have been squireling away.

The first thing that I needed to do was to sort the trigger out. I ended up using a standard electronic dizzy and gluing

the mechanical advance mechanism closed and gluing the pickup 60 degrees in advance to trigger the ECU.

HaltechInstall004.jpg

Extractors test fitted, sweet.

HaltechInstall003.jpg

Wiring finally being wired...

HaltechInstall005.jpg

Lots of circuits diagrams to read!

HaltechInstall008.jpg

So I hope to get this up and running within a few short weeks, I'm going to get it all set up in N/A setup

and then add the supercharger when time permits.

The Old Fart's not looking too bad at all, I love the rising sun engine paint job but I have to admit that the supercharger excites me more! :lol:

Jealous of your tool setup! :P

Nice work with all your build-it-yourself stuff however I don't envy you with the electrical work, man I hate doing that! :(

Edited by carbonboy

I'll be replacing the Spades with Cannon "Milspec" connectors. I didn't solder them because If I needed to change anything I would have to desolder them.

All the extension, interconnections, splices have been soldered and adhesive lined heat shrinked. Basically I need to make sure that I've done everything correctly

and I have all the wires in the right place before I make it permanent with connectors. I'm trying to make this a disconnect system so that I don't have to cut anything If I want to

change something. I've used the blue electrical tape to make everything that has been done recently "stand out" so that I can double check everything once I'm done and then replace it with black tape.

Cheers mang, Electronics is actually my trade so I't easy for me.

I was actually quite surprised at how simple an after market system is to wire up compared to an OEM system.

I'll be replacing the Spades with Cannon "Milspec" connectors. I didn't solder them because If I needed to change anything I would have to desolder them.

All the extension, interconnections, splices have been soldered and adhesive lined heat shrinked. Basically I need to make sure that I've done everything correctly

and I have all the wires in the right place before I make it permanent with connectors. I'm trying to make this a disconnect system so that I don't have to cut anything If I want to

change something. I've used the blue electrical tape to make everything that has been done recently "stand out" so that I can double check everything once I'm done and then replace it with black tape.

Clever work! Yup, can't half tell you've done a bit of this before... :lol: OEM system designed for manufacturer boffins to hook up, aftermarket's designed for monkeys like me to wire up? :laff:

Yay I have ignition! Finishing off the wiring tomorow, not too far off now!

Damn my back hurts from all the leaning over and soldering with my mouth, I need to evolve and grow another arm.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks human evolution went a bit awry :wink: We need hands as feet i.e big toe becomes an opposable thumb. :yes:

Looking forward to seeing this running!