The Rebuild Of Slw42 Version 2.0 Ke55 Coupe

well its nearly finished but the car wont start now don't know why changed coil as i thought that was the problem but did the test on the new coil by earthing the lead to the strut tower bolt and there is a spark there me thinks the stupid kill switch it buggered and the car wont start with out it connected seems i will spend the next few days working it out and well worse case is that i can't bring it to AJD

Members dont see this ad

Really great to see some DIY home spray painting with a spray gun!

Its come up well by the looks of it.

Just the weekend gone i dug out the spray gear to spray some acrylic paint on some MDF speaker boxes.

Primer was easy at 1:1 ratio paint:thinners. Went on well as primer does.

but the colour really needed closer to 1/3 paint 2/3 trinners to get it coming out the gun nicely. Simliar to the clear coat.

Trick is to have lots of old cardboard to spray onto, to see the paint coming out of the gun. took us nearly half a "gun worth" of paint to adjust the gun so that it comes out nice. The other trick is just to have a go! paint can always be sanded back if you really screw it up.

My first paint job was my old corolla in metalic blue (simliar to yours actually). I didnt find metalic particularly more difficult to paint than the standard paint, but yeah its good to get a lots of coats down.

Also not sure what stage you are up to, but put on ALOT of clear coats, gives you more to cut/buff back without accidently cutting through to the primer on corners!!!! (we did 10 coats of clear on my speakers, helloooo piano black finish!)

well i did give it all a go the gun seemed alright but its not the prize winning paint job but still proud of myself for trying this new venture with the gun instead of spray cans lol the colour look awsome and i must say some areas could be better i will try and buff them out

funny today went to the all jap day with no corolla get home just after lunch and0 Justin(SLW42) came around to drop off my tralier that he borrowed yesterday and when i told him the corolla is not working due to spark he said let me have a look he changed a few wires around and bridged the killswitch wires and bam its back to working so very annoeyed at myself that in 2 days i couldnt figure it out and in less than 5 mins he did :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

funny today went to the all jap day with no corolla get home just after lunch and0 Justin(SLW42) came around to drop off my tralier that he borrowed yesterday and when i told him the corolla is not working due to spark he said let me have a look he changed a few wires around and bridged the killswitch wires and bam its back to working so very annoeyed at myself that in 2 days i couldnt figure it out and in less than 5 mins he did :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

It happens. Glad yo see you undertaking your own paint job. I am interested to see how it turns up. This will be the way I do mine as well. So far I practiced on engine parts. Did you paint your inner door area too?

so i gave this thing a good solid drive yesterday and it loved it and went for a small drive again today well i wasnt to happy with how the wheels looked they were all faded and the chrome dress rings were pitted up with rust so i decided to brighten up the wheels with gloss black paint and clean up the dress rings what do you guys think

will post a before shot with the car and then the new and improved pics

post-8250-0-20115800-1361685220_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-39364400-1361685306_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-53637000-1361685563_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-41874900-1361685598_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

being qutie a while since i last updated the ride thread on here not much between then to now has happened expect had to replace a few small things along the way got a 2nd hand radiator and some new hoses as well as changed oil and filter but i suppose the biggest thing i have just done today is finally put my SSR 14 x 6 + 10 offset wheels on the car and damm do they look good,

when i got the wheels nearly 2 years ago they where red centres and look good back then but i have since painted them the centres the same colour as the car and the have come up real good

post-8250-0-00148800-1387608743_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-45643800-1387608816_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-60038700-1387608910_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-12742000-1387609031_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

so its been a while since i last update anyone on this thing still got it and plans to keep this thing but i was looking for another project recently and was keen on a Ke70 cause i really want one of the 55 shape and one of the 70 shape.

Anyway so in a nut shell i was giving the old 55 a look over yesterday as i don't often drive this thing much and it hadnt been started in a while so gave it a crank over and it still did but was very hard to get going .

Found out the Battery is slowly dying but i managed to get it to start and run it for a while, but when its not in use i take the battery terminals off so it doesnt drain it completely.

i have noticed that the motor looks tired and few leaks here and there so instead of buying another project car being thinking maybe spend the money and fix this up by that i mean total overhaul of the drive line and rebuild the motor or change the motor to something else but not sure what.

List of things that i would do

Remove motor and Gearbox then either find another motor and box or recon what is in the car (car is running a ke70 5 speed but its does grind a bit so it would need replacing or recon )

new clutch

new gasket kit through out motor if i rebuild

new fuel pump

new radiator

carby would need a rebuild

find some new extractors

overhaul suspension

clean and rebuild diff

tidy up interior

new wiring throughout (really bad to drive this in dark as lights are really bad and wipers are slow)

new wiper motor

possible new paint job

new panels

new bonnet

so got a massive project already and will take time to get it done will tackle one job at a time looking at buying spare parts and replace when refurbished eg ( buy another interior and get it re- uplostered before taking the old one out)

get another engine and rebuild it before taking the one in the car out as i plan to keep it on the road and want to have minimal down time

painting will happen at the end got a mate that will paint it and only take about a week or so to do

big plans and lots to things to do but it just takes time and money so now on the hunt for 55 parts more for driveline stuff and interior for a 55 coupe

WATCH THIS SPACE IN THE FUTURE any help would be much appreciated