Build Or Buy My First Rally Car?

Mason.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A crew!

Hardest thing to organise and keep together for a year or two, just like a rock band!

You're the lead singer and will get famous, but behind you will be the guys who do all the work for no thanks. You'll need a hard-working serious guy as navigator/manager and a couple of dependable guys to run a service wagon and hopefully be able to fix what you break!

and lots of dedication and money!

oh yeah.. and the licence.. cabbage needs one too!

You need a Clubman rally licence. You'll need to be part of a club. NDSCC is about the cheapest, but HSCCQ is good value as well. NDSCC is a more rally orientated club though. You'll need to sit in on a lecture, and do two observed licence tests (can be done at motorkhanas.).

Need a helmet.

You don't need a race suit for club rallies, just long sleeves and long pants. Race suit needed if you do state rounds.

Crew is not essential, I usually run without one, and if you need a hand, there's always someone to help.

Navigator is good, but if you don't have one, the club will often help you find one.

Rallying is as expensive as you want to make it. So far with the Excel 6 tyres have lasted 3 events, and have another 3 or 4 in them. Either of the Corollas and a pair of rears go in about 90kms of competitive.

Edited by Redwarf

For a first timer, especially considering you aren't surrounded by rally people, I would definately recommend buying someone elses car.

I would also suggest it wouldn't be a bad idea pulling it apart to a small degree or at least doing a full spanner check (make sure everything is tight and in good condition)

I have been involved in building heaps of cars, from club KE30 corollas to PWRC spec Evo X, and the costs keep adding up. And all the tricks that you learn as well from buying another persons car. We wouldn't have been able to build the X to the spec we have without having had a TRD corolla.

And as long as your go over the car, it is a valuable learning experience to buy someone elses as you inadvertantly gain their experience as well.

Just buy something you can afford to maintain and afford to crash. Something with cheap panels would be useful.

A crew!

Hardest thing to organise and keep together for a year or two, just like a rock band!

You're the lead singer and will get famous, but behind you will be the guys who do all the work for no thanks. You'll need a hard-working serious guy as navigator/manager and a couple of dependable guys to run a service wagon and hopefully be able to fix what you break!

and lots of dedication and money!

oh yeah.. and the licence.. cabbage needs one too!

Good to see someone knows and appreciates what crews do, and all the hard work that goes into a rally car behind the scenes, especially if it is a competitive one.

If you want to build a rally car, check out TRD's reshell that will give you some idea what's involved.

As for car clubs, we(TRD and myself) are members of NDSCC, but it could be a better idea for you to find one closer to home, so you can attend the meetings without driving around the countryside to get there.

Gosh it has been some time since being on these forums. Hi guys.

To the OP, good on you for wanting to get into rally, this is our first year too and are competing the ACT Rally Series. (Took a few year to finish the car)

I have built my own KE70, while I know the car very well, the cost was highish though (But only because I love building cars) so buy a turn key one such as RedDwarf's and jump straight in.

Club rallies are achievable cost wise to get into and the community of rally nuts are welcoming and very helpful.

Officials and Service Crew are the back bone of our sport, support them both and th'ell support you back. I have shared service once and had a few mates help on others, makes all the difference to move gear around etc while the event is running and will make sure you can have a break in between too.

Keep it up, great to see new blood wanting to make the leap to rall.

Mike Meyer

www.jesusrallysport.com

Try to get into speedway? its similer it rally and lots of fun your 18 you can buy a street stock for around 4 grand and thats a half decent one or a better one for abut 6-7 :P))))) plus these lots of tracks around and lots of good people that help you out.

Cheers Tyler