Gjm85'S Ke20 Build

GJM85

OK, late update. dropped the laptop. Busted the screen. It's now in the shop so I had to set up the old PC and get a wireless adapter so I could get online....

The rust in the 20 is bad, really bad.... The arse end is finished and the moved on to the sides where they found rust from the start of the weather channel near the windscreen all the way back and around to the front of the rear quarter glass. Both sides, hidden by about 50 tins of bog.

I have decided to move on with the project though the estimate another 2k on body work.... there goes the budget.

The engine is under way. Got and ACL rebuild kit and holden lifters. Took the block and conrods into the recon shop for the cam bearing and gudgeon bearing change. Also took the head and valves in for a pressure test, shave and valve regrind and reseat. The 3k-b manifold is also in for a beadblast and to have the throats milled out.

Taking the cam so they can get the regrind and possibly the flywheel if they can shave it for me.

Using the 4k pushrods, rocker gear and valves in the 4k head but with 5k springs. My old man is going to rework the 4k pushrods for me as they'll stand almost 20mm to long with the solid lifters.

I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow......

PEACE

Edited by GJM85

Members dont see this ad
OK, late update. dropped the laptop. Busted the screen. It's now in the shop so I had to set up the old PC and get a wireless adapter so I could get online....

The rust in the 20 is bad, really bad.... The arse end is finished and the moved on to the sides where they found rust from the start of the weather channel near the windscreen all the way back and around to the front of the rear quarter glass. Both sides, hidden by about 50 tins of bog.

I have decided to move on with the project though the estimate another 2k on body work.... there goes the budget.

The engine is under way. Got and ACL rebuild kit and holden lifters. Took the block and conrods into the recon shop for the cam bearing and gudgeon bearing change. Also took the head and valves in for a pressure test, shave and valve regrind and reseat. The 3k-b manifold is also in for a beadblast and to have the throats milled out.

Taking the cam so they can get the regrind and possibly the flywheel if they can shave it for me.

Using the 4k pushrods, rocker gear and valves in the 4k head but with 5k springs. My old man is going to rework the 4k pushrods for me as they'll stand almost 20mm to long with the solid lifters.

I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow......

PEACE

well gav its great to see that you are continuing this build will be one awsome car thats for sure aye keep at it mate and she will look a stunner

Gav i'm pretty sure 4k's already have solid lifters in them man, i haven't had a look at a 5k valve train, but the 4k uses the pushrod's from the cam, straight onto the rocker arm which in turn pushes the valve down, so wouldn't it make sense just to use all the 4k stuff Instead of using holden lifters???? why not use the 4k stuff if your already using 90percent of the valve train anyways?

Gav i'm pretty sure 4k's already have solid lifters in them man, i haven't had a look at a 5k valve train, but the 4k uses the pushrod's from the cam, straight onto the rocker arm which in turn pushes the valve down, so wouldn't it make sense just to use all the 4k stuff Instead of using holden lifters???? why not use the 4k stuff if your already using 90percent of the valve train anyways?

interesting.... indeed. the only difference I can see between the 4k and 5k is the lifters, pushrods and the rocker gear. I didn't know the 4k had solid lifters. There is 30mm difference in pushrod length and the 5k rocker assembly isn't adjustable....

aahhhh No!

I can't find any info to say that a 4k lifter will work in the 5k. I'm not interested in play trial and error with this motor either so as far as I've worked it, i'll continue with the 202 lifters and shortened pushrods....

...still trying to find a good cam spec.

5k's have a larger lifter diameter.

I don't get what is wrong with not staying with hydraulics? If the motor is going to be supercharged, you won't need to rev the ring out of it.

5k's have a larger lifter diameter.

I don't get what is wrong with not staying with hydraulics? If the motor is going to be supercharged, you won't need to rev the ring out of it.

I'm using a 4k head so even if I use the standard hydraulic lifters won't I have an issue with pushrod length anyway? I can still run with the hydraulics i'll just have to let the shop know before they do the cam. This k motor business isn't as easy some people make out....

I'm using a 4k head so even if I use the standard hydraulic lifters won't I have an issue with pushrod length anyway? I can still run with the hydraulics i'll just have to let the shop know before they do the cam. This k motor business isn't as easy some people make out....

Not really. Your 5k has already got shallow dish pistons and is running a normal 4k type head (has no lugs under 1 and 4 spark plug holes). I'd also assume it is running the longer of the two types of hydraulic pushrods.

This k motor business is really quite simple if you have a basic understanding of the differences between the different types. It is the people who f@$k around with shit they don't understand that over complicates things and leads to problems.

As I see it you are headed at a fairly high compression ratio (maybe 9.5:1 at a rough guess) with the shallow dished pistons and a normal 4k head, which you may want to account for when choosing pulley ratios for your blower. I'd be CC'ing the piston crowns and combustion chambers of your head/s to work out your true CR, and possibly opening up the combustion chambers to drop the CR.

Not really. Your 5k has already got shallow dish pistons and is running a normal 4k type head (has no lugs under 1 and 4 spark plug holes). I'd also assume it is running the longer of the two types of hydraulic pushrods.

This k motor business is really quite simple if you have a basic understanding of the differences between the different types. It is the people who f@$k around with shit they don't understand that over complicates things and leads to problems.

As I see it you are headed at a fairly high compression ratio (maybe 9.5:1 at a rough guess) with the shallow dished pistons and a normal 4k head, which you may want to account for when choosing pulley ratios for your blower. I'd be CC'ing the piston crowns and combustion chambers of your head/s to work out your true CR, and possibly opening up the combustion chambers to drop the CR.

I'm obviously someone who f@$ks around with shit they don't know. I'll sort this out my own way...............................

Well glad it's sorted then haha sorry to start an argument, i just it would make things easier using all the 4k valve train gear in it, due to the fact it has solid pushrods and the 4k rockers are adjustable, maybe i was wrong

the paddles in the blower look like someone's tried to replace airflow with nuts and bolts. messy. but i still may get away with it.

Thats a set back. The lobes are teflon coated arnt they ? Is that peeling off at all ?