Painting A Car On The Cheap !

TBR

2 pac needs heat to harden. dno who told u it didnt. i am a REAL spray painter. well an apprentice but alot more experience than a backyarder thats for sure. if i was doing a back yard job id use acrylic but its durability is nothing compared to 2pac. but then you SHOULDN'T use 2 pack over acrylic so for old cars its baremetal respray if you want it to last.

Baking speeds up the curing time for 2k, it has nothing else to do with it.

Members dont see this ad
But you're not a REAL spraypainter's apprentice, how could you possibly know?

Used to work at a panel beaters one day a week, brother still works at one.

FWIW, this car was painted in 2k in the workshop with no baking at all, paint hardened fine:

post-1373-1284020900_thumb.jpg

Yes it still needs a colour sand.

I can beat all of that haha, about 20bucks and probably 10cans max i can make your car look good haha

Been there... DONE THAT in 1982 ! :D

Metallic mid sky blue HR Holden sedan - Turned out good too ;)

haha yea i am in the class as well my valiant took $ 2.50 cans of paint and i only used about the same as you justin in cans probably 10 max

2 pac needs heat to harden. dno who told u it didnt. i am a REAL spray painter. well an apprentice but alot more experience than a backyarder thats for sure. if i was doing a back yard job id use acrylic but its durability is nothing compared to 2pac. but then you SHOULDN'T use 2 pack over acrylic so for old cars its baremetal respray if you want it to last.

different 2 packs have different curing times.

before posting shit like this how about you consider technical data sheets... they are there for a reason and explain the curing characteristics of the paint.

most of the 2 packs we use at work state 4-6hrs @15 degrees celcius.. and less as the heat goes up...

another thing to consider is that the quicker you cure it and the harder your cure it you risk solvent boil which will ruin the finish.

the DNA clear i use is touch dry in 6 hrs @ 15 degrees. fully cured in 24 hrs at 15 degrees.

as for NEEDING a bare metal on older cars this is also crap... simply you need an iso free 2 pack.. so something like protec parabuild is good as a primer then use watever.

don't give false information there are HEAPS of different products out there to use in different situations.

but yes acrylic is very very easy to apply.. and can come up well.. durability is not as good..

for those that don't' want to use 2 pack... how about use a basecoat.. and the a 2 pack clear. 2 pack clear is very very easy to use... much easier than trying to go for a 2 pack colour job.

different 2 packs have different curing times.

before posting shit like this how about you consider technical data sheets... they are there for a reason and explain the curing characteristics of the paint.

most of the 2 packs we use at work state 4-6hrs @15 degrees celcius.. and less as the heat goes up...

another thing to consider is that the quicker you cure it and the harder your cure it you risk solvent boil which will ruin the finish.

the DNA clear i use is touch dry in 6 hrs @ 15 degrees. fully cured in 24 hrs at 15 degrees.

as for NEEDING a bare metal on older cars this is also crap... simply you need an iso free 2 pack.. so something like protec parabuild is good as a primer then use watever.

don't give false information there are HEAPS of different products out there to use in different situations.

but yes acrylic is very very easy to apply.. and can come up well.. durability is not as good..

for those that don't' want to use 2 pack... how about use a basecoat.. and the a 2 pack clear. 2 pack clear is very very easy to use... much easier than trying to go for a 2 pack colour job.

But you are a backyarder ;)

Woaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there guys....

This was supposed to be about how to "cheaply" paint a car !

If you want a tech paint thread, create one ;)

And BTW, the 03 paint jobs still going good 7 years later :jamie:

Edited by TBR