I Hate Internet Explorer

demuire

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My IE works fine, suppose it comes down to what you use it for / how you use it..

You're not a web developer.

For virtually EVERYTHING I do, I have to do it twice. Once for IE, and once for the rest of the world. As if that wasn't bad enough, IE has no logic, and doesn't tell you anything. So when something goes wrong, it just does nothing. Or something totally random. It's absolute bullshit.

There is a web standard. Virtually every other sane company follows, or at least tries to follow this standard. Except for Microshit. They like to make their own, and completely disregard any existing standards. How would you like to work on a car that used "special sized bolts" like 14.5mm, or 16.72mm. Or maybe driving a car where the speedo goes anticlockwise. Just cause they can.

For the average home user, yes, IE wass stupid letting activex scripts execute, If you have service pack 2 for windows xp installed it should ask your permission first before it executes an activex script. (Microsoft's attempt to make you aware of what you are doing to your machine). But if you are ignorant enough not to install your windows updates and services packs, you deserve to learn the hard way about spyware/adware. I commonly see people infected because of their ignorance to keep a few basic things up to date. (1) Windows Updates / Service Packs (2) Anti-Virus Software / Virus Definitions (3) Spyware / Adware Removal software (Microsoft Anti-Spyware in this case which does a real good job I might add)). For someone like me who runs Windows XP and keeps everything up to date I have never had a problem with any spyware/adware installing. If your implying that IE is a security risk, so is any other browser or peice of software you run on your machine. At the end of they day the script kiddies are going to attack anything that has a security hole in it. Thirdly you NEED internet explorer to access the windows update site, so its not a wise move to remove it from your machine. Also the fact the guy as a MCSE means total bullshit, just because someone has a piece of paper doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I've seen plenty of people in the I.T. industry that don't know jack shit about computers and have the pieces of paper I don't have. Yes Fook, I know what you mean about IE not working the same as another browser, but what do you expect for two competing software programmers, unfortunatly their are no set standards in I.T. I agree they should have helped standardise the workings of web browsing software, but they haven't and that's microsoft for you in a nutshell..

Personally I don't really care about the fact that IE is a security risk, but I DO care about the fact that it doesn't follow standards.

unfortunatly their are no set standards in I.T.

YES there are industry standards. HTML is a standard, CSS is a standard, and most of this is governed by an INDEPENDANT group, like the W3C. And there are tests that web browser companies can run like, the Acid2 web browser compliance test to make sure that their product will be able to read, display and process the information they receive.

FYI, there are more than 2 different web browsers. There's Firefox, AOL, Opera, Safari, just to name a few.

There are standards because without standards, there is no Internet. The Internet exists because no matter where the server sits be it in America or in Australia or in Afganistan, they all (are supposed to) talk the same language, and so your web browser can read it. Of course, Microshit is above all of this. They make their OWN standard because as far as they're concerned, they have such a huge market share that they can afford to do that, because it FORCES us web developers (who have to support everyone) to adopt their "standards". It's almost like being forced to speak another language just cause the "big boys" speak it.

And as a result, there are some web developers who get lazy and simply support one or the other (and in most cases, IE and IE only). That is why some Microsoft sites and some other sites (like St George Internet Banking used to be, not sure about now) can't be accessed by anything apart from IE. It's brute force bullying.

As the Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) Lead Program Manager Chris Wilson said about their development for IE7, "As a wish list, [Acid2] is really important and useful to my team, but it isn't even intended, in my understanding, as our priority list for IE 7.0." Great. That's a bit like saying "thank you for your input, but stuff you all"

To put it in car sort of terms, it's a bit a big car company like say, Toyota, suddenly deciding that they want to run all their cars on 0.5 inch increment rim sizes. Like 16.5 inch rims. As a result because there are so many Toyotas out there, all the tyre companies all of a sudden have to cater for another WHOLE set of tyre sizes... And eventually smaller tyre companies who can't afford to cater for both will choose one or the other.

It sucks shit. And as much as I hate to say it, IE only still survives because of support from people who don't know any better, or people who refuse to accept that IE is a counter productive piece of software.

Edited by demuire

I think you took my quote a little too literaly before, Imagine if I said there are no set ways in I.T. that you go about a given thing such as making a website. You have so many different server extensions you can run, each of them will make your website have different abilities. I don't see HTML as being a "standard", moreso a "default" programming language that all websitse are based around. If it was a "Standard" everyone would be programming it. I could spend all day rattling off the different languages you could make a website with, but they all do different things. (My quote was much like putting 2 people in an I.T. position and asking them to do the same job, The job can be done any number of ways depending on what software they know they can use, What language they know to program something with, Their general computing knowledge that affects their decision making / implementation etc.) Their is NO I.T. bible governing how you go about solving computing problems, everyone does things different ways. Sure you can use books as a guide, but at the end of the day a PC (Personal Computer) is designed to be personalised and will always be differently configured computer to computer. I understand that CSS is a standard and DO STRONGLY AGREE Microsoft should have made IE7 comply with the standard. "IE has support from people that don't know any better" The average user has no need to use any other software, IE supports peoples needs just fine, Its interface is basic and user friendly. Its like the argument, why fix whats not broken? And yes, I'm aware there are more than 2 browsers I don't know where that came from?

You're missing my point completely.

And yes, I'm aware there are more than 2 browsers I don't know where that came from?

but what do you expect for two competing software programmers

HTML is a standard. Just like CSS. Please refer to W3C if you do not think so.

I could spend all day rattling off the different languages you could make a website with, but they all do different things.

If you meant PHP, Perl etc etc, then you are missing the point. All of those are used to generate HTML (and other such things). And HTML is a standard that should be followed.

The average user has no need to use any other software, IE supports peoples needs just fine, Its interface is basic and user friendly. Its like the argument, why fix whats not broken?

Which is I'm sure what Microsoft was betting on when they bundled IE with Windows. IE may be crap and may be making life a living nightmare for web developers, but the average user doesn't know that. And the average user probably doesn't care, as long as they can access their Hotmail account.

What we need is for web developers to STOP supporting the "IE standard" and just develop for the REAL standard. Then the average user will just have to change over to a web browser that is standards compliant.

Will that ever happen? Probably not. IE SUCKS SHIT.

IE is a piece of shit, and anyone who uses it is simply propogating the spread of spyware throughout the internet and should be shot. regardless of the fact that it's been "improved" in SP2 by icreasing security at the expense of much functionality

at the end of the day, the computer is only as safe as the person using it. most people out there don't understand security certificates and activex controls. christ, i see people who simply know "hotmail" and "word" and if you ask them to do ANYTHING else, such as copy a file to a floppy disk, and they'll sit there staring at the screen scratching their heads

nor do they even want to know. the computer is a tool to get their task done. much like i don't give a shit how a ratchet handle works and how to repair one when it breaks, i just want to use it to spin bolts on my car

any piece of software that allows changes to the registry and background installation of programs has ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE on my computer, nor should it on yours

firefox is safe and foolproof from the word go

www.getfirefox.com