Traffic Incident

B.L.Z.BUB

I had an incident the other day while towing a trailer.

I was over taking a slower car and a guy was pulling out of super cheap over two lanes into the lane I was merging into.

There was no merging lane for him to wait in.

As I merged and he tried to, the trailer and his car contacted.

Not much damage just some black marks from the trailer tyres.

Just wondering if I was wrong for not seeing him pulling out and I shouldn't of changed lanes of if he should have given way.

Traffic.jpg

I'm not sure either way. Personally I reckon it was bad timing on both our parts, but at the same time he didn't have a safe place to wait for traffic to clear. I was clearly indicating, I think he was trying to beat traffic.

Worth fighting? I haven't accepted blame but did exchange details.

I'm sure I'll need to talk to a professional about it but thought I'd ask here to get some ideas.

Members dont see this ad

Definitely his fault, at least in NSW. I should know, because I failed my first driving test because of it.

Whenever you are turning out onto a multi-lane road where there is no give-way or stop sign on the oncoming directions, you must wait until both the lane you are turning into AND the next lane over is clear, to prevent exactly this kind of accident from happening (plus when you turn you tend to "swing" into the next lane a little bit).

For instance, if you are turning left into the kerbside lane of a 3-lane road, you must wait until both the kerbside lane (duh) AND the middle lane are clear before you can attempt the turn. It doesn't matter if there is traffic in the far lane as they would have to attempt a double-lane change in order to enter the lane you are going to be in.

Sweet this sounds good, I may go to the cop shop to confirm it and make a report.

I didn't want to answer the call from the dudes missus whose car it was until I had some better info.

Might be worth letting them sort it out and call her.

Lucky it was a hire trailer and not Cop Bait.

Already answered, but definately 100% other driver at fault... and very unlucky on his part.

In WA if you pull out in a situation like that in your test they will mark you down. You should wait untill both lanes are clear just in case the car changes lanes (or is in the other lane to what you think).

Edited by 67Rolla-Ken

So a good idea to report it?

Get it on paper? Anyone from QLD have any input, I'm sure it'll be the same but if not....

EDIT: And thanks heaps for the input, I was sure I was right but wasn't 100%.

hey reed i am pretty sure that what the other guys have said is correct and by the way you discribed it would mean he was in the wrong she shouldnt have pulled out while you were mereging into the next lane definitly report it to the cops and let them handle it

Yeah I was pretty sure, I was just a bit iffy about the fact I was changing lanes. All cleared up now, will confirm it with the 50 tomorrow.

Much thanks. I must admit I went to the library the other day and they had one of those "refresher" booklets on road rules, and there are some slightly different rules compared to NZ, there aren't many different but I thought this might be one of them I had missed.

Pays to check instead of admitting your are at fault when you are on the bread line.

But it has been a shake up, getting insurance for the Falcon (full) and the Rolla (3rd, fire, theft) tomorrow. So that means no more choppies in Cop Bait. Money money money *sigh*.

i know every1 has already said you was 100% in the right but i wanna chuck in my 2c worth as well

trailer or no trailer you were driving on the correct side of the road and i asume at the posted speed limit... any vechile entering that roadway(either from left or right side) must give way or merge into the traffic already on that roadway

also mention to the guy that hit you that the hire company charged you for damages to the trailer (make up somthing like it damaged the wheel berring) and see if ya can't scam him for some $$ :)

I'd rather not rattle too many cages. :)

Just getting away from a TI scott free will do, thank god he didn't hit my brand new (2003 ,I know but new for me) Falcon.

And he just missed my 19's.

God I sound like a Falcodore owner aye.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=3849741&id=518817878&ref=fbx_album&fbid=381569887878 but its my (other) baby.

Is basically the same in S.A. you must give way to all on coming traffic even if it is merging into another lane, and regards to scamin anyone for some extra $ is the reason we pay higher premiums and insurance companies are more reluctant to accept certain claims despite how legit they might be.