September 21, 201016 yr comment_470676 Is there anyone in Australia that does brand new or aftermarket parts for the old toyota engines? Looking at doing a complete rebuild out of brand new parts and upgrading a few other bits I tried searching the forums and on google but couldnt find anything :( Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470779 ITS A 4K! Course you can get most of the internals new! You should be able to order most of the parts you need through your local parts retailer, cheers phatke30! Report
September 22, 201016 yr Author comment_470844 I have been searching but I still cannot find anyone thats sells these parts. Is there someone that has an online database with all the parts and prices etc.? Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470845 acl sell pistons/ rings, hastings also sell rings, endurotech also do pistons. can't remember about bearings Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470846 ebay So far I've amassed Pistons & rings Engine bearings Full gasket kit. all up about 200 bucks So now I have to locate TIME. They don't seem to sell it on e-bay Report
September 22, 201016 yr Author comment_470861 haha thanks. I'm thinking of rebuilding with the 3K head and a 4KE intake manifold and then doing all the little bits to the timing, bigger cam etc. don't really want to do an engine change, would like to keep her as close to original with a bit of mods Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470866 Understand completely. If you want it NOW, go to your local speed shop, they'll have it, but they will pull your trousers down when you pay. They won't even be courteous enough to use lube. If you've got some time up your sleeve, keep googling 4k Toyota on ebay and your stuff will turn up. Shop around and it will be dirt cheap! I'm freshening up a 3k. Some ask why, I just say cause I can! Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470882 I bought the stock stuff from Mid-State spares locally here in Orange. Main bearings $55 Big ends $40 Adjustable fuel pressure reg $58 Full gasket set $140 Exhaust wrap $57 One-piece manifold gasket $10 The head was skimmed and valves/seats cut for $65 I did that work, bought and fitted twin SUs, extractors, full exhaust, custom airbox and a Crow cam, which totalled $2300. We never touched the rings and cam chain parts. What are you planning on doing dimsim? Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470889 I was quoted $516 for an ACL rebuild kit. Head gasket, all bearings, seals, pistons and a roll master double row timing chain kit with tensioner and guide. Report
September 22, 201016 yr Author comment_470901 What are you planning on doing dimsim? Hey man, I plan on pulling the whole engine apart and pretty much replacing everything. It's done roughly 350,000km so it's in need of it anyways. New crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings etc. 3K head, bigger cam, all the small things inside the head to improve the timing, will probably run a cam with 0.400" or around so need all them new bits. Plan on making it EFI with either 4K-E or 7K-E manifold and aftermarket computer and fueling etc. Possible forced induction later on down the line hence the complete overhaul on the engine. Wouldn't mind getting rid of the 4 speed for a stronger better 5 speed but I have no clue on the transmissions and what can fit up to a 4K etc, may need help in that regard. Get everything balnced and machined etc. If someone has done this before, what would be the best way to go about it? Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470909 i paid $229 for a full 4k ACL 0.040 oversize rebuild kit from repco(which includes pistons rings bearings head gasket seals etc, part number is ERA2509EBB1. Only that cheap because it was on clearance. Normal price is something like $357. Water pump cost me $89. I'm still waiting on the time timing chain kit. So give Repco or someone like that a call or pop in and talk to them. Edited September 22, 201016 yr by thatdude Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470918 If you're going to do all that you might as well start with a 5K and get the extra 300cc! The crank and rods should be fine. If the crank you use is worn just get it cut 10thou undersize. Lighten the flywheel, rebore, new oil pump, cam cut and a head job. Timing chain replaced for sure, and if the water pump is dodgy do that. Other things that would be worn might be dizzy bushes and the rocker shaft & rockers. A 150,000km 5K might be a better bet for all those odd things wearing out, but it comes with hydralic tappets as stock. Looks like you will be busy! :P Report
September 22, 201016 yr Author comment_470922 Well what I was thinking was having the 4K block brought back to life and put the 3K head on it, the 3K head lowers the capactiy by a whopping 3-5mL but gives the compression a bit of a boost, and with that just do the headwork in the 3K head and with fuel injection should go alright. Obviously I need to do a bit more research into it but that's what sounds good at the moment. At the moment I'm having a fair bit of trouble finding an EFI manifold anyway. Report
September 22, 201016 yr Author comment_470938 If I can't get hold of an EFI manifold I may just put on a bigger carby. I have heard from a few people that the ford weber 32/36 chokes are to big for it. What would be the best choice of carby to go for? Report
September 22, 201016 yr comment_470952 Use the Weber but re-choke it down. We could do with some good info on which choke sizes fit 4Ks best... Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now