Lowering A Ke30

ROLLN'03

I was the person who posted that chopped eb falcon springs fit in a ke30. Yes, it is dodgy i know (i have super low lovells springs sitting next to me - just to lazy to put them in).

I have never had any drama's YET with my chopped springs and i plan to install my new springs soon to get it roadworthy again. So i don't suggest that you should chop your springs.

As for wheel alignment.....I had one done after i chopped the springs 6 years ago, and the tyre shop didnt have any drama's with the alignment.

My front end RARELY bottoms out. Infact the only time is does bottom out, is if i hit a huge pot hole. So, normal everyday driving is fine. Which is what i use my car for anyway.

Its stiff as all buggery because the EB spring coils are 16mm diameter, compared to my lovells which are about 12mm-13mm in diameter.

The rear leaves have been reset and had an extra leaf put in. Mmmm Stiff (my mates hate sitting in the back sit. Apparently it feels like getting kidney punched). :P But i like it stiff. I hate new cars with hovercraft suspension. :y:

Conclusion - Get Lowered springs and keep your car roadworthy. Especially for insurance reasons too.

P.S. I got pulled over once 5.5 years ago and the copper told me it was borderline, and that i might want to fix it. 5.5 years later its still the same and the police have never touched me.

post-13-1126684184.jpg

Edited by kangaroosa

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you generally need to change to short strokes at lower than a 50mm drop

if you were going to short-stroke a ke30, you'd change to corona coilovers on ae86 power steer arms and get some decent brakes while you were at it. little corolla struts and brakes aren't worth the cash. i think anyway. pajero master cylinder and 14" wheels required

i don't know why you'd want to lower a 30 more than 2 inches anyway, i think they look silly scraping the ground, and the usefulness of the car becomes an issue, driveways and speedbumps and such. i enjoy being able to drive over gutters like i just don't care

but yeah, like the others said, stock spring diameter is huge, so you'd open up next-to-no negative camber with adjustable tops. this is why i suggested changing to ke70 struts, smaller diameter spring rocks

boggedKE55 runs Kings, not sure how low but.

Was reading on the Street Commodores forum a while ago that Kings make the hardest springs (harshest ride), but if you want to retain a bit of ride quality go Pedders. I was passenger in a VT when my family drove around VIC/NSW (Yay I actually drove Bathurst as the driver.) that had very low Kings, the ride was harsh and it rubbed the guards over bumps but on the Great Ocean Road we had no problems with grip/sway when we flogged it around there. Yes, it did tuck.

Just as an indication of how low it was, it ran 17's with low profile tyres (very low profile) and it tucked. Would they be Low or Super Low?

Yeah, my brother is chasin a coupe so he can mod it......

Hes into the Hot Rodder / Street Rat sorta theme..........

He wants to chop the top, suicide the doors, dump it REAL LOW, and put big dish mags on it....... Would look sweet.

He wants to do it to my wagon....! :y:

low = good

very low = very gay

lowering is great when you go a decent amount, and after that its just silly...

it changes the geometry of the suspension too much and having no bump stops is dangerous. and you need short stroke stuff too. then you scrape everywhere and when you have passengers its even worse.

one good invention is rca's, i will be getting a set for the ke25 if applicable.