The 'K' Engine Disscussion Thread.

Jono.C

Literally everytime i log onto rolla club there's a new thread made about turbo 4k 5k etc what cam what carb etc.

So i thought, why not have it all in one place. Post up your setups, question's advice etc in one place rather the creating a new thread

which has more then likely been post approx 100000000x3 times.

so, let the fun begin. :)

Members dont see this ad

My 5k going into my ke20. >from sump to carbs.

• 1988 liteace 5k block
  • 4k sump
  • shimmed oil pump
  • 4k crank
  • 5k conrods
  • ACL bearing kit
  • ACL shallow dish pistons
  • Tighe 104 cam 25/65, .278 deg, .411 valve lift.
  • Pro Torque twin timing chain
  • Holden solid lifters
  • A12 light weight pushrods
  • 4k rocker assembly
  • 5k valve springs
  • 4k valves
  • 4k head with port and polish
  • wrapped Hurricane shorty 4-1 tube headers
  • redline intake manifold
  • twin 40mm Mikuni Solex sidedrafts, 40mm ram tubes, Redline air socks
  • 4k fuel pump
  • 3/8in fuel lines
  • Racer water pump
  • electronic dizzy
  • GT40 coil
  • top gun leads
  • NGK plugs
  • 4k flywheel
  • Exedy Sports Tuff HD clutch

....it's built, just waiting for the car to come home to me. No idea what the output will be. I will likely bolt the sc12 up in the future....

Edited by GJM85

So i'm looking at a 7k as a possible temporary engine in my upcoming ke10 project while a 4age is being built.

i've heard a 3kc sump is neccessary to clear the cross member? would this then need a oil pump adjustment?

Another thought i had was, would fitting a 3k/ 4k flywheel act as a lightened flywheel?

And lastly would any gain be acquired from fitting a 3k/ 4k head?

Thanks - Jonathon.

• 1988 liteace 5k block
  • ACL dished pistons
  • 4k head with heavy port/polish/manifold match

Wouldn't a setup like that lower the compression ? Or did you get the head shaved or the block decked ?

And i'm just reading the supercharger as a maybe.

Seems most high power turbo K's use pretty big cams. True?

Not necessarily , big cams have big overlap and boost will push straight out the exhaust port.

i've heard a 3kc sump is neccessary to clear the cross member? would this then need a oil pump adjustment?

Another thought i had was, would fitting a 3k/ 4k flywheel act as a lightened flywheel?

I'm fairly certain the 3K sump wont even fit the 7K block, 3k's are different from 4k and 5k sumps, and the 7K might even be different again. Probably easier to chop the 7K sump.

• 1988 liteace 5k block
  • ACL dished pistons
  • 4k head with heavy port/polish/manifold match

Wouldn't a setup like that lower the compression ? Or did you get the head shaved or the block decked ?

And i'm just reading the supercharger as a maybe.

Nope. Remember ACL 5k pistons are shallow dished and have about half the dish volume of the common stock 5k D-dished pistons.

Referring back to the 7k questions, I've done a bit of research and 3/4/5k sumps don't fit as they are too narrow for the 7k block. all heads are interchangable although 7k head has some extra bolts along the spark plug side(cheers taz). Change the flywheel to a 3k or 4k one and use 4k clutch kit as 7k clutch/flywheel will not fit in k40/50 bell housing. 3 or 4k engine mounts bolt up but my need some changes depending on what model corolla you put the 7k in (eg washers/spacers, or cutting and welding). The standard 7k sump will need to be modified to clear the cross member. Please tell me if I have missed anything.

Cheers Crowie.

Edited by Crowie55

Yeah can't use a 3/4/5k sump on a 7k. The heads do actually fit on though, not that I know why you'd do it. 7k's do have some extra bolts in the head along the spark plug side, it wouldn't be any big deal if you didn't use these say fitting 7k head to a 5k, the head bolts will hold it down tight enough.

As far as flywheels and clutches on 7k's for K40/50's, just use a 3/4k flywheel and 180mm clutch kit.

Yeah can't use a 3/4/5k sump on a 7k. The heads do actually fit on though, not that I know why you'd do it. 7k's do have some extra bolts in the head along the spark plug side, it wouldn't be any big deal if you didn't use these say fitting 7k head to a 5k, the head bolts will hold it down tight enough.

As far as flywheels and clutches on 7k's for K40/50's, just use a 3/4k flywheel and 180mm clutch kit.

Thanks for clearing the head point up taz_rx. will edit so no porkies get out.