No Oil Pressure Light

kangaroosa

So i finally got around to putting the 5K back into my '74 ke30 today. When i was about to crank it over to get the oil pressure up, i realised the oil pressure light was not on. So i changed bulbs and holders.........still no good.

I have changed complete dash clusters.......still no good.

I have tested the wire that runs from the oil pressure sensor, to the plug on the back of the dash and it seems to be fine (the wire is intact in other words). I have swapped oil pressure sensors, but that didnt help.

I had a test light on the back of the dash and i seem to be getting power to where the bulb plugs in (although i used the door handle as an earth). If i use the test light on the positive and earth contacts where the light plugs in, the light does not come on. So i suspect that the Earth for the light holder is dodgy. I have tried to follow the wire as best i could (both manually and by an electrical diagram, but have not had any success). Its a red wire with a blue stripe.

I have run an earth to the oil pressure sensor and this seems to fix the problem (but its not permanent - it was just for curiosity).

Now whenever i put the indicators on, both the indicators and the high beam light flashes.

To Top it all off, i have no spark either.

All this from a bloody engine swap.

Any Ideas? I assume an earth.........but where?

Thanks Guys

Edited by kangaroosa

Members dont see this ad
No spark could be closed points?

Electronic Ignition (internal igniter 5K Distributor)

I should also mention that i only plugged a lead into the coil and tried to ark it somewhere on the body whilst cranking.

*EDIT* I just tried to arc a few ignition leads from the distributor whilst cranking, and still no spark. So the coil is definately not producing spark.

Edited by kangaroosa

Definately sounds like an earth. Unfortunately dodgy earth's are hard to find...

Yeah. I'll have another look tomorrow when its light and i'm not so frazzled. It has to be something simple............after all, i only swapped engines. I didnt touch anything inside the cabin until i noticed this problem.

i have no answer for your problem, but:

a while back we were having problems with the ke16. it kept blowing the warning guage fuse, and the indicators would stop working. i sort of tricked it for a while by putting in a bigger fuse, but it got to the point that you had to put in a new fuse to check the fuel level, then remove it before starting the car, just to be able to run it. not ideal without indicators at the time, but we lived up the mountain then and it only went to the local school.

i spent ages trying to fix it, over a period of weeks. one day i traced out the wiring and the reversing light switch was linked to the warning guages. turned out the reverse light wire had worn through and was shorting out on the back of the engine block.....problem solved. bah, amazing how something so simple can cause so much grief.

Interesting. I screwed down the rubber cover around the gearbox shifter today and thought to myself, "look out for the reversing wires that exit through the shifter hole". I pretty sure that i didnt put a screw through the wires, but i will definately double check that tomorrow.

On my ke30 the earth point for the lights is in the engine bay on the DS just infront of the strut down near the structural rail--

I just removed the earth strap from both the block and chassis, including the two wires from the loom (light earth). I cleaned them all with sandpaper including the chassis and block.

Them i bolted them back on, and now its blowing the tail light fuse (which is also for the dash lights (just the lights to illuminate the dash though).

The indicators seem to have their own earth as they still work (sort of).

Good news - I have spark back now.

Well back to the wiring diagram.

I'll see if i have a spare flasher can.........maybe that has something to do with it.

Indicator flashers don't work if the voltage on the battery is even slightly low.

The two places i have had a rub-through on my tail light loom are under the rear seat, and where the plugs go through the body for the number plate lights.. The under seat short was due to my poor installation of the seat though......GOOD LUCK!