The Wife's Twin-Turbo Boost-Barge Jzz30

Hiro Protagonist

• 3 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the old girl got a tummy-tuck today....after many moons of scraping and scratching, we finally got the intermediate pipe remade and the exhaust raised up enough to no longer fear speed-bumps, driveways, seams in the concrete and the curvature of the earth.

Big thanks to Premier Exhaust, who did what others said couldn't be done, and at a decent price too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went out to get dinner the other night and I noticed that the headlights weren't turning on - parkers/indicators/fogs/tail-lights all worked fine, but lows and highs were completely unresponsive (and the dash indicator didn't come on for high-beam either). Wife then proceded to tell me that the headlights started cutting out intermittently on her a few nights previously (nice to be informed of these things...) before dying completely. Checked the headlight fuses today just in case and they were fine, next thought was the combi-switch but the dash still dims when you turn the lights on, the auto-headlight relay still clicks when you cover the sensor, and obviously the parkers are still working.

Done a bit of reading and it seems to be either the headlight relay or the integration relay - apparently the integration relay is a real pain to change and I don't seem to be suffering any other symptons (door jamb lights, key-ring light and dome-lights are all fully functional), so my hopes are on the main headlight relay in the engine bay. Would this be a special relay or can I just go down to Supercheap/Repco and use any 4-pin relay off the shelf (never had to play around with anything more complicated than wires and fuses)?

• 1 month later...

So the saga continues - got the driver's side wheel arch wiring repaired yesterday, headlights are now a go (although the driver's low beam seemed to cut out again last night, quick check this afternoon turned out to just be a loose plug on the back of the bulb). Unfortunately, the dreaded bong has now appeared in conjunction with the catalytic converter light and the "Alternator not charging battery" katakana. Pulled out the Power FC hand controller and monitored battery voltages on the way to work this morning, whilst driving they were sitting steady at around ~13.8-14V, with the ignition off but the key in the ON position it was around 12V, but dropped to 10V briefly when starting (and starting has been difficult on the odd occasion lately). Thinking it might be new battery time but the fact that the "alternator not charging" warning has come on every time the ignition has been turned ON as long as we've had the car (but would go away on starting) makes me think it could be alternator as we've changed the battery in the past (when it died) and the warning didn't go away.....sigh

But doesn't the alternator not charging light come on in every car with the ignition on, before it is started?

Soarers are different, they have digital dashes with text error codes (mostly in Japanese katakana) as well as the normal warning lights

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 2 months later...

Only 20-odd years after people started importing '90s JDM cars into Australia, the RTA has finally released a number plate which can fit into the rear bumper without being bent/cut/shaved, albeit American (12"x6") rather than Japanese (13"x6.5") size.

20140531_113445_zps140da056.jpg

20140531_094556_zps7acc5a52.jpg

Ordered these less than 2 weeks after they first became available, when Cara went to pick them up the lady at the RTA said they were only the second pair she had scene in all of Newcastle. I expect to see them get more common as people realise that they are available, but for now they get a lot of attention.

• 11 months later...