The Wife's Twin-Turbo Boost-Barge Jzz30

Hiro Protagonist

Introducing Lexi (yeah I know, original, but I didn't choose it), Cara's first turbo car, and also her first car which is noticeably faster and better than mine :P. Looks like I'll have to tread the family car route in a few years then, maybe something like a Chaser for the practicality as well as the speed, can't let her out-do me can I? Anyway, I digress.......

Specs: AS OF 09/08/13

1995 (build) JZZ30 Toyota Soarer GT-T (thought it was a GT-TL, but the build plate says otherwise)

Engine-related

1JZ-GTE twin-turbo

APEXi Power FC + hand-controller

Front-mount Hybrid dual-core intercooler

K&N pod BFI in sealed box, custom alloy intake pipe

Lews split dump pipes with separate wastegate pipes, split twin 2 1/2" stainless mandrel exhaust with two twin-tip Lukey mufflers

Suspension/driveline

R154 5-speed factory manual

HKS HipermaxII adjustable coilovers

Polished alloy strut-brace

KAAZ 2-way mechanical LSD

DBA 4000 Clubspec slotted rotors front, DBA 3000 slotted rear

EBC Redstuff brake pads f+r

TRD leather gear knob

Exterior

18x8" Speedy Cheetah wheels

235/40 Kumho KU39 Le Sport

Interior

Tan interior, velour

Electric seats

Sunroof

Flip-out cupholder

Scroll dash, blue filtered

Refurbished climate control screen w/ blue button lights

ICE

Kenwood DNX5360 2DIN DVD/GPS receiver

Audison Bit One processor

JL Audio 2.1 amp

Front Morel splits in custom door trims

Rear Morel speakers

12" Treo Sub in a moulded box in the boot

Entire cabin + boot Dynamat'ed except for roof

Mongoose alarm/immobiliser

Waiting to be installed:

HKS adjustable cam gears

Future list of mods/fixes:

Paint

Re-leather steering wheel

New bushes

Paint cam covers

New cams (a while off now)

Photos:

P1140911.jpg

Looks like it has two black holes for wheels...

P1140916.jpg

Mid-life taillights are the best of the bunch

P1140913.jpg

Can see some of the phat-ness of the rear tyres there

P1140915.jpg

Plates are like that because previous owner's mate had a HQ with a worked 202, so he did what any self-respecting Toyota owner would do

P1140918.jpg

Neat boot install. Amp is tucked up underneath parcel shelf where stock sub would sit, completely out of site

P1140924.jpg

Interior is interior

P1140926.jpg

It's a headunit

P1140928.jpg

No wait, it's a DVD player!

P1140930.jpg

Custom door pods...well entire bottom section of door-trim is custom actually...

P1140919.jpg

Engine-bay is engine-bay

P1140920.jpg

Except for extensive earth kit

P1140931.jpg

Current insurance policy.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

manual soarass not many around at all

lucky girl and it's even harder to find a woman who knows how to drive a manwell too :P

Well, I _did_ teach her how to drive manual...

Anyhoo, ran the Soarer at last weekend's Toymods Dyno Day, unfortunately didn't quite live up to the 200kw claim but still quite respectable, conditions were far from perfect and there is still plenty of room to play with mod-wise and still keep it looking stockish

soarer_dyno.jpg

Previous run at SAS in same tune but in much more favourable conditions :P

soarer_dyno_old.jpg

• 1 month later...

Driving to work this morning and coming to the realisation that the clutch in the Soarer seems to be on the way out.....normal around-town gearchanges are fine, but if you punt it in gear it'll flare like an auto, especially when you're hitting or in boost. Worse too if it is part throttle, as you can get it to flare a good 2-3000rpm (combined with a lovely smell), whereas full throttle gives you enough power through to the wheels for them to catch up to the revs and stop the slipping.

Anyone got recommendations for a good street-suitable girl-suitable clutch for a 1JZ/R154 that can handle 250-odd kw? As far as I can tell it is still running the factory clutch, something a little heavier wouldn't be a problem (it is lighter than the factory clutch in the AE102, somehow), but don't want to splurge on a twin-plate or anything exotic if possible.

If you still want it streetable, i'd be suggesting a heavy duty clutch and thats about it.

It should operate with a 50% increase in clamping force over the factory item.

Just remember, there are two types of clutch, push and pull and going by my clutch book here, it is a pull type.

Extreme Clutch Part No. - KTY24009HD

Hope that helps :)

If you still want it streetable, i'd be suggesting a heavy duty clutch and thats about it.

It should operate with a 50% increase in clamping force over the factory item.

Just remember, there are two types of clutch, push and pull and going by my clutch book here, it is a pull type.

Extreme Clutch Part No. - KTY24009HD

Hope that helps :)

Thanks, definitely has to remain streetable as it is Cara's daily, but it would also see the odd 1/4 and the outside chance of a track-day or two. Power figures shouldn't grow too much so I'd expect a max of 300kw at the fly before I'd be thinking serious upgrade.

Might be a good time to go for a lighter flywheel too, stock one seems fairly heavy and revs take a while to settle (although that could be PowerFC-related too...)

• 1 month later...

Well, the drama of the banana-peel-instead-of-a-clutch has been rectified, although at significant pain to the hip pocket. What was initially quoted to be a $700 clutch from the Exedy distributor turned into a $1200 clutch, plus add on about $800 in parts and labour. Still, being able to plant it with confidence makes it worthwhile, it was getting to the stage where it was downright painful to drive, even the slightest hint of load and the clutch went south.

Next on the cards is a new set of tyres and/or wheels, plus fixing the radiator and diff leaks that they found when it was up on the hoist.