December 4, 201015 yr comment_486294 Well in my absences I have bought myself a trailer. Bought off a man who buys trailers, does his thing and sells them. This guy is a knob! He cut out the rusted floor, the rusted sub frame, welded in a new sub frame (SHITE) and replaced the floor with plywood (:S) (filled in holes with bog, cement etc :S) Here is the trailer as I bought it... How it was this morning... Removed plywood floor... Plywood floor. Evidence that the water was soaking into the timber. Glad I ripped it out. Frame treated with Killrust™ Now needing my godfather to come over tomorrow to weld in a couple of supports in the front half. I don't thing any floor would be able to do this span!! Can't see why that span to the left isn't put in the centre at 900mm instead of 1200!! The plan is to put in a timber deck floor (Like the Kingswood Utes), but leaving a couple mmm in gaps to ensure water drains and doesn't pool causing water to sit thus causing rust like before. Might go that semi timber/semi plastic decking that will be good in all weather. Also maybe tempted to get him to weld a 'H' frame on the rear and maybe a sub-box beneath the floor in the rear with the timber decking as the lid. Also in the event I plan on covering the trailer into a camper (Very possible), I'll use black silicone between the gaps and make it look like ship decking. Report
December 5, 201015 yr Author comment_486397 Well todays update!! Bog pre sanding... Bog sanded... Trailer ready for priming... Trailer painted... Bogged section... Report
December 5, 201015 yr comment_486428 nice trailer, semi timber/semi plastic decking this is $8. a lineal meter, and scratches real easy. what colour you going? Report
December 5, 201015 yr comment_486478 Well in my absences I have bought myself a trailer. Bought off a man who buys trailers, does his thing and sells them. This guy is a knob! He cut out the rusted floor, the rusted sub frame, welded in a new sub frame (SHITE) and replaced the floor with plywood (:S) (filled in holes with bog, cement etc :S) I was going to say that Marine ply would have been good for the job but since the pretzel used ordinary interior ply i won't say it.... Apart from i'm watching for the ideas, i'm wanting to do the same thing as well. Report
December 5, 201015 yr Author comment_486488 nice trailer, this is $8. a lineal meter, and scratches real easy. what colour you going? So you suggest I go normal hardwood? Was thinking maybe silver to match the car. Plus the varnished timber would look great against it. Report
December 6, 201015 yr Author comment_486544 Okay, messing about and here is what I've come up with... Edited December 6, 201015 yr by JiP Report
December 11, 201015 yr Author comment_487550 Okay, well the weekend has come around so I've begin work on painting the box. So yesterday I pushed it back into the garage after a weeks worth of rain. I had a tarp over it but it kept filling up. Dad put bricks on it, the tarp filled up with water, and when the bricks fell off they scratched the primer :bash: So I touched it up yesterday. I bought the paint. Subaru Silver!! Who would have thought 2 litres would cost so much! Now if the paint looks shit in the large sections like the gate, back and sides, it probably is. I'm still learning my technique with the spraygun. I hope to recoat in the morning and hope the next coats come up a bit better :) And a shot of the hitch :) Report
December 11, 201015 yr comment_487553 I bought the paint. Subaru Silver!! Who would have thought 2 litres would cost so much! :yes: Did they write on the tin somewhere of the different colours and their weights that was used in the paint ? The place i was working at it was a "must do" no matter if it was paint match or off the computer (eg subie silver) the colours and weights had to be written down on the tin. Be good if you could run the same rims on the trailer as on the car. Same like what those ski boat owners do. :jamie: Report
December 11, 201015 yr Author comment_487554 Na they didn't but I don't see myself running out. I almost bought 4 litres until I saw the price. But I think I'll be fine with 2 litres. Plus I'm planning on doing the sub frame and springs/axle in black. Report
December 12, 201015 yr Author comment_487706 Todays update... I took a couple pics in day light of how the first coats came out... My godfather then came over as he'll be doing the metal fabrication for the extra support in the floor, and 'H' bar. He has talked me out of doing the sub floor box :( Apparently he believes it will get ripped off which I understand but still, would have been nice. I might just buy a tool box for the drawbar. Anyway she is starting to look really good after the second coat... And lastly how that bogging looks. Its not the neatest bog but it does the job... Next need to paint the frame and everything under it black, then the clears next weekend! :D Report
December 12, 201015 yr Author comment_487819 I took some pics in the daylight just before I went to work last night. So this is how its like after 2 coats, do I bother with a third? Was just thinking of trying to do an many coats of clear that I can, but that'll have to wait till next weekend... Report
December 12, 201015 yr comment_487830 Looking good in the same colour as 'Uber' Should be quite a useful trailer with those additions you're making. I'm assuming that sunken floor is for a battery or three etc....... The decking idea will look great too Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now