Historic Motor Racing Groug Ncke10

anteKE

Hey Doug I'll definatlly be down at "the island" on the Sunday. Need to check out a few customers cars from work.

Brian was either a partner or owner of Motor improvements in Vic back then so he knows his way around a k motor. Also the Brock/Sampson a9x hatch races in group A/C touring cars. This aswell as the formula 5000's are the races to make sure to check out. I have a few mates that run under 3ltr nc and one mate(won Vic titles last year) in over 3ltr nc. So I'll most likely chatching up with them too. Island classic being so big, charge like wounded bulls think my mate that runs the LJ was saying entry was about $600.

Stu.

Members dont see this ad

Hey Doug I'll definatlly be down at "the island" on the Sunday. Need to check out a few customers cars from work.

Brian was either a partner or owner of Motor improvements in Vic back then so he knows his way around a k motor. Also the Brock/Sampson a9x hatch races in group A/C touring cars. This aswell as the formula 5000's are the races to make sure to check out. I have a few mates that run under 3ltr nc and one mate(won Vic titles last year) in over 3ltr nc. So I'll most likely chatching up with them too. Island classic being so big, charge like wounded bulls think my mate that runs the LJ was saying entry was about $600.

Stu.

. G'ay Stu Be good to catch up at PI, If you want to', give me a ring on 0265877182 and we can organise something. Thanks mate Doug(anteKE)

my local mechanic is actually starting up in group n with a KE10 as well. he has been racing for a while and he knows his stuff. if you need to know anything i would highly recommend a chat with him.

Brendan,mate thanks for the info.Could you give me the blokes contact No ?,would be much appreciated. anteKE(DOUG)

i'll be at Phillip Island for the historics helping out a bloke named Hugh Gartley who is running a formula 2 with a fully worked 3k in it. I'll try to remember and take a copy of Australian Racing Car magaxine from 1969 which has a feature on a racing ke10 of Bob Simpson from back in the day.

I'll be there friday to sunday. Regards. Dave 0422 328 332. feel free to call me if you can't find us.

Have a look at this thread for a link to the Tosco (sort of an early TRD) K engine build manual.

As always with these things of course, you will need to examine the regulations for your category as to what is permitted.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/23872-trd-k-engine-manual/page__p__276730__hl__tosco__fromsearch__1#entry276730

Yeah Parrot, checked out the TOSCO site,good stuff .thanks mate. antKE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm about to start work on a KE17 for group Nc. love to hear from anyone else with this model in racing.

I have recently spoken with various guys who raced for the AMI race team in the late 60's. Those cars were series production and were close to standard. various of them got pinged for cheating at various times, but i doubt anyone ever ran a dry sump in that class. there are more freedoms today in Nc than there ever were in series production in the 60's & 70's.

The really quick/trick 3K engines were used in open-wheel race cars in the early 70's and there were lots of really top quality parts back then. i recall billet cranks, steel rods etc etc.

I have posted elsewhere on Rollaclub, a scan of an article from Wheels in the late 60's where they purchased an ex Bathurst KE10 that AMI had sitting in the back of the warehouse for a long term test car/office hack.

In those days, import quotas meant there was a wait list if you went into your dealer, and this was all AMI had that was available at short notice.

Whilst they loved the car, and commented on its apparent zippiness, they also noted the difficulties they had stopping it from pinging. They tried servicing at a couple of dealers in an effort to cure it.

Now why would an almost new 'standard' production car have such problems with pre ignition.........Hmmm

Edited by parrot

• 2 weeks later...

Well its a long time since the 60's and AMI was taken over my TMCA back in 1989. Here is an old 1968 KE10 that Toyota still use for promotional work. This can be found looking through the front fence at Toyota in Caringbah. Let me know if you want to have a closer look.

MCM.jpg

There is not much to it, add a roll cage for Grp N logbook compliance and yourself have a race car.

Hi Chris

Would love to look over it :yes:

By the way how is your RA40 going?

Thanks

Shane

G'day Shane,

Thought I saw your forum name here somewhere.

The RA40 is all but finished, I keep taking it to shows and picking up trophies while it is still looking new n fresh. This will change once I start racing it, but I guess I am afraid of scratching it. Happy to show you the little KE10 and the other TTA Corolla's I am restoring.

Rgds, Chris

• 1 month later...