Aesthetic Sensibilities

MicMac

Hi all,

Looking to neaten up my car boot, as basically the old interior had oil and other crap spilled all over it (and possibly a small fire) and was thrown out. As a result, my boot is all bare metal, and I don't even have the small bit of wood that usually covers the spare (not a clue where this went). I am looking to put a reasonable sound system in my car, and so was wondering what other people have done to their interiors? Looked through galleries etc. but couldn't really find pictures of peoples boots that weren't crazy custom jobs or with the original gear in them.

I need something that will cover my boot floor, can have a sub box and a pair of amps bolted to it, but still allows me access to my spare when I need it. Was considering doing a flip job on my spare but ended up looking like way too much work and $$.

Should mention, I'm a student, and so the cheaper options are preferable, but can save up and grab more expensive ones if needed.

I'm driving an '81 KE55, so really any options from the early 80's/late 70's are best. I'm living in Melbourne, if anyone knows a good shop down here that has done similar work for them.

Didn't know if this was the right section, as while a question, it's aesthetic rather than mechanical. So feel free to delete/move admin.

Thanks all,

M

Members dont see this ad

Hit up Bunnings man, you only need a small piece of plywood for the spare wheel cover and the sides. After that get a large piece of carpet, or whatever material you like, and cut it up too suit. Doesn't have to be perfect unless you're making it a show car :P

Alternatively seek here for moulded carpet that should fit, not cheap though:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOULDED-BOOT-CARPET-FIT-TOYOTA-COROLLA-KE-30-35-55-/110387273741?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19b398200d

Hope this helps,

Jake.

i will be putting up a guide or showcase of my own version of this soon as i was in exactly the same position, and find it a common occurence, one of the main ways to stop this happening in future is replace the seals around your boot keeping the water out keeps out the damp and mouldy contaminants :) you can pick up metres and metres of seals like this for 3 bucks a metre :)

I'm just here because you spelled 'Aesthetic Sensibilities' correctly.

Bravo.

You must have attended one of those fancy shmancy schools that still actually teach kids how to read.

(I'd just assumed English was phased out of the curriculum sometime around 2005)

i came for the same reason when i saw 'Aesthetic Sensibilities'

it the second time i have ever heard the word

and for english being dropped out of the curriculum it dropped out in w.a most proberley 1995

:lolcry:

Obviously.

I'm just here because you spelled 'Aesthetic Sensibilities' correctly.

Bravo.

You must have attended one of those fancy shmancy schools that still actually teach kids how to read.

(I'd just assumed English was phased out of the curriculum sometime around 2005)

Haha, cheers, Yeah, i'm an arts student, so spelling wanky words is practically an entire subject.

Thanks for all the advice gang, not quite sure if just tossing in carpeting will allow me to bolt a sub box in properly, have other people found this works?

I'll PM Tiger, he's here in Melbourne, so that should make life easier.

I thought I may have had a pic of the boot install of my KE25, prior to parting it out.

It had two panels on either side in the boot and behind one was the amp, the sub could be mounted on the opposite side, which would indeed retain the access to your spare wheel.

If you had time and welding skills, you could cut out the spare wheel well, weld in a flat sheet of metal and do a boot install and mount the spare wheel up under the car as seen on the KE3x panel vans with the appropriate carrier bolted up underneath.

That way you would still have access to your spare ;)

I thought I may have had a pic of the boot install of my KE25, prior to parting it out.

It had two panels on either side in the boot and behind one was the amp, the sub could be mounted on the opposite side, which would indeed retain the access to your spare wheel.

If you had time and welding skills, you could cut out the spare wheel well, weld in a flat sheet of metal and do a boot install and mount the spare wheel up under the car as seen on the KE3x panel vans with the appropriate carrier bolted up underneath.

That way you would still have access to your spare ;)

Haha, yeah, that's what I meant by a 'flip job' in my original post. Heard it was a pretty sweet way of freeing up space. My neighbour also did something sweet with his KE70. Made it look like a 4wd by bolting the spare to his roof racks, then cut out the old spare wheel space and used the hole in his boot to create a recessed storage unit. Had a tool kit and his oil etc in there, so it didn't have to sit in his boot and make it look cluttered. Absolutely awesome, if I still lived next door to him i'd ask to take photos for you all.

I have zero welding skills and nowhere near enough time haha, hence asking if there were any shops that people knew of.

i will be putting up a guide or showcase of my own version of this soon as i was in exactly the same position, and find it a common occurence, one of the main ways to stop this happening in future is replace the seals around your boot keeping the water out keeps out the damp and mouldy contaminants :) you can pick up metres and metres of seals like this for 3 bucks a metre :)

Haha cheers, one of the first things I did when I decided it was gonna have several hundred dollars of sound gear was make sure it was all watertight and securely locked. Unfortunately it lived for several years as a paddock basher for my neighbour's friend, and they drank and smoked up a whole bunch in it, so there were various beer stains and bong fires in the original carpeting and mysteriously in the boot... as though they had been smoking up in the boot. So one of the first things we did was completely strip it and get all new carpeting etc, but they wanted insane prices for fairly crappy boot stuff, and I wasn't in a mood to get ripped off fixing up a free car.