Fixing A Mate'S Nova

Apologies for my lack of research, A young Irish bloke I work with had his '91 Nova stolen and the motor is now toast.

I have volunteered to swap over another one but am not familiar with Rollas at all.

He knows it is a 16 valve motor but that is about all.

What engine would it have (assuming it is stock)? I am expecting a pic of the engine bay via email soon.

What should I get him to check to be certain? I am sure he knows squat about cars...

I have seen a 4AGE? for sale with box/loom/ecu, would it run the same drive shafts as what he already has and would the full conversion be worth the stress?

Sorry again for not fully researching, but hell it ain't my car and I'll be helping out the lad for free.

Cheers all.

Members dont see this ad

Apologies for my lack of research, A young Irish bloke I work with had his '91 Nova stolen and the motor is now toast.

I have volunteered to swap over another one but am not familiar with Rollas at all.

He knows it is a 16 valve motor but that is about all.

What engine would it have (assuming it is stock)? I am expecting a pic of the engine bay via email soon.

What should I get him to check to be certain? I am sure he knows squat about cars...

I have seen a 4AGE? for sale with box/loom/ecu, would it run the same drive shafts as what he already has and would the full conversion be worth the stress?

Sorry again for not fully researching, but hell it ain't my car and I'll be helping out the lad for free.

Cheers all.

The nova's came with either the 4AFE or the 4AGE I beleve, should be able to take one from a 88-92 corolla sedan or sr5. If its a 4AGE a 88-92 Corolla GTS or MR2 would have it.

if its a nova it wont be a 4age. it will be a 2afc, 4afc or a 4afe. these should be a little cheaper to buy as its not really known as a performance motor.

hope this helps

chris

Wiki

Also called Geo Prizm

Toyota Sprinter

Toyota Corolla Seca

Production 1989–1992

Body style 4-door sedan

5-door hatchback

Engine 1.6 L 4A-FE I4

1.6 L 4A-GE I4, 105 hp (78 kW)

1.6 L 4A-GE I4, 130 hp (97 kW)

Transmission 5-speed manual

3-speed automatic

4-speed automatic

Wheelbase 95.7 in (2,431 mm)

Length 170.7 in (4,336 mm)

Width 65.2 in (1,656 mm)

Height 52.4 in (1,331 mm)

Related Toyota Corolla

Toyota Sprinter

Toyota Celica

Toyota Paseo

Toyota Tercel

Holden Nova

Thanks for the replies.

So if will be 4A-FE or 4A-GE then. Most likely to be 4A-FE though it seems.

Do they run the same ecu/loom? Couldn't be that lucky could I?

Cheers again.

Edited by Bodge

Do they run the same ecu/loom? Couldn't be that lucky could I?

Cheers again.

Nope :)

Luckily, 4AFE's aren't exactly rare. Only thing you need to confirm is whether its carby or EFI. I think '91 was the changeover year.

if its a nova it wont be a 4age. it will be a 2afc, 4afc or a 4afe. these should be a little cheaper to buy as its not really known as a performance motor.

hope this helps

chris

Nova's didn't have the 2A, they had the 6AFC. They also (depending on the year) ran the 7AFE too.