Ke20 And Ke25 Race Histories

Project Sprinter

Just wondering if anybody out there is the "full bottle" on the race history of KE20 and KE25's in local competition?

I'm interested to know where and when these cars, if they did at all, raced in production classes.

Also interested to know/learn more about the Trueno and Levin variants history in Australia - did we get them as factory imports?

Sorry if it all sounds a bit naive,but keen to learn.

Members dont see this ad

Hi Gary

I'm not aware of any touring car history in Australia for these cars. As far as I know, AMI lost interest after they were disqualified at Bathurst in the KE10 days, but I could be wrong there.

As far as factory imports of TE27's at best there may have been one evaluation car which also seemed common back then. I vaguely recall seeing something about one somewhere.

Nowadays there are at least two genuine cars (Trueno's) that I know of, one in Melbourne and another in Sydney. Plus a number of copies, including one built from a half cut in Melbourne many years ago.

A quick look on wiki tells me there were three entries under AMI Racing team with a Corolla 1200, one didn't start. But whether these were KE10's or KE25's?? There was also a private entry of a Corolla not otherwise specified in 1975.

There are also a few Corolla's not otherwise specified that competed in the ATCC through the early 70's

Edited by parrot

Dunno what models they were, but Corolla's popped up during the Australian Touring Car Championship results during the early to mid 70's. These would be interesting cars as it was run under Improved Production rules (for those of you to young to remember, google super falcon) which allowed a lot more freedoms.

After about 1975 Corollas disappeared from the results only to return in 1980/81. From memory, this was a TE35(?) as it had the American front panels.

If I could find my Bathurst books, I could look that up too.

Here is one KE20 the I found that ran a Bathurst

post-460-0-52880800-1306227699_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary

I'm not aware of any touring car history in Australia for these cars. As far as I know, AMI lost interest after they were disqualified at Bathurst in the KE10 days, but I could be wrong there.

Disqualified for ?

Around 12 years back when I was researching a group Nc Ke11 build up which i completed but never raced I was given a guys name who worked in the Valley here in Brisbane who used to be an AMI factory driver in the late 60,s and early 70s.Since forgotten his name but he raced ke 10s, 11s and 20s and he had an album full of photos from various tracks notably Lakeside in a Ke20 which he reckoned handled better that the 10s and 11s due to slightly longer wheelbase

majordad

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would just like to say thanks to everybody who responded.I found the contributions very interesting. I guess like all of you know, there's plenty of material on Fords and Holdens racing in Australia, but for Toyota's and other Japanese brands its all a bit underground.

I've had the fortune of having good conversation with Corona GT fans - they know this too.

The era of the Celica, I assume, also came into play and the Corolla was overlooked for racing by then (little bit like the Torana - Monaro dynamic [but you wouldn't think so if you take a look at Touring Car Masters where there is way more Monaro's than what competed when they were new!!]).

Does anybody have the "know" on why AMI got disqualified in the KE10 era?

Thought also worth mentioning that I am having a KE17 Group Nc race car built. My interest in the subsequent models and their racing history is that I'm already thinking about the next project...

Many thanks.

If you click on the link above, you can read about it in the wheels article. It refers to cylinder head irregularities, but doesn't give any further detail.

And make sure you post up some pics of the KE17!

• 11 months later...

Mark Thatcher, son of Margaret Thatcher raced a TE 37 at Bathurst but from memory, oil problems dropped it out of the race.

I used to have the body shell for a few months and have a photo copy of the Cams paper work somewhere.

don't remember any 25's in Bathurst tho.

TE27's - i heard a story 12 were imported to Australia in the 70's. I know at least one 37 was imported. Have the Wheels/Motor magazine with the article about it.I used to own a 27. Rumor was it was the Melbourne motor show 27 but i could not confirm it. It now lives out Penrith way.

• 1 month later...

I've seen pics of Mark Thatchers TE37 car - I was lead to believe that after Bathurst it suffered a roll-over (possibly at Sandown).

Regarding KE25's - it looks like Greville Arnel (yep same one who raced an XD Falcon) competed either a KE25 or possibly a TE27 in Victoria...I have asked him about this once, but am still awaiting the asnwer as to whether it was KE25 or TE27.

I'd be interested to get a photocopy of the story you have.

Around 12 years back when I was researching a group Nc Ke11 build up which i completed but never raced I was given a guys name who worked in the Valley here in Brisbane who used to be an AMI factory driver in the late 60,s and early 70s.Since forgotten his name but he raced ke 10s, 11s and 20s and he had an album full of photos from various tracks notably Lakeside in a Ke20 which he reckoned handled better that the 10s and 11s due to slightly longer wheelbase

majordad

Sorry - I think I clicked the down arrow on your post - very sorry.

I was meaning to click the respond directly button - as I am very interested in possibly talking to (am also in Brisbane) and would like to try and see if you recall any details about the bloke from The Valley. I have other contacts who may recall the guy and seeing some photos would be fun and beneficial.

Also keen to know more about your KE11 build.

regards, gary