Best Welder For "Weekend Hacker"

Spencer

Thanks everyone for your input on welding stainless steel , I wont be going down the arc way as I think its time to get rid of my farm arc and get something a little bit better.

So here's another question what's the best setup for just a "weekend hacker"?

I'm liking a mig gas/gas-less welder as its best of both worlds

But also I'm liking tig as its so much better and I can still arc with it.

What's the pricing for hiring the smallest bottle of Argon from BOC?

I know you can buy disposal bottle's of Argon from local DIY shops.

Members dont see this ad

The best thing to remember with welding gear is you get what you pay for,gas less mig ,better off keeping your farm arc same differance.

The gas prices for size E is 172.65 rental per year+115.07 for gas,you can get a smaller bottle but the gas works out dearer.

Depends on how much your going to use it,as we all start out going to use it every weekend but in doesnt happen.

If you want a mig buy a mig,if you want a tig etc as combo welders are always just a compremise (spelling).

Lincoln best think i ve ever bought besides my coupe :lolcry:

rob

I would have to agree that Lincoln are one of the best, but they are rather expensive for occasional home use,

I recently bought a CIGWELD Weldskill 170 TIG welder. Forgotten how much, but it wasn't unreasonable.

It's compact and goes as low as 5A, perfect for thin automotive metal.

Tungsten welding rods are not cheap and you will need a few when you start out.

You can also use it to arc weld, just remember to swap the leads over or else when you TIG, you will melt the tungsten rod,

ceramic gas lens, collet and collet body, and generally end up wondering what the hell went wrong.

Not that I'm speaking from experience.wallbash.gif

If you can stretch the budget to get an AC/DC model, you can also weld Aluminium.

Hiring gas from BOC is a pain but heaps cheaper than the disposable bottles.

All in all I'd say for auto body work, the low amps and neat welds of a TIG make it the obvious choice.

Spencer, depends largely what you're doing. I've gone with tig cos I like the fact that you can do some really fine neat work. Even as a hacker, it wasn't long and I was running 2mm wide beads on 1mm sheet. But when you're trying to put a couple of small beads on an exhaust header on a 911 while it's still attached to the engine, it's that moment when you realize what a pain 2handed welding is!

Argon is expensive (tig), at about 120 as stated for an E size refill. E size is around 4 cubic metres, a D size is iirc 1.8 cubic metres but will still cost 80 bucks to fill. Rental is negligible between the two, the larger f size is even better value but they're 6 foot tall and I wouldn't want to be dragging that round the shed.

I went through a d bottle in no time, those small disposable bottles are hellishly expensive and you would happily eat one an half an hour.

Argoshield gas for a Mig is much cheaper to refill than argon, but bottle rental is the same.

Tig is much slower to lay lots of weld, for me thats not an issue, I'm not welding 600mm diameter pipe spools. It takes a lot more practice but it's pretty satisfying when you nail it. If you've welded with oxy, the technique is similar.

Before you go with tig, do a Tafe night course in it, or if you have a mate with ine, have play at least. I did a course and it cost me 100 bucks for five 3 hours sessions sor something like that.

Ive been working with top notch pipe welders/boilermakers for ages and I'm always talking gear with them; in short, when it comes to brand names, it's like the old weber/dellorto debate, everyone has personal preferences. Kemmpi, fronius, miller, Cig all good kit but damn expensive. The only consensus I reached was that Kemppi was shit hot. I'd love to buy one but it'll cost close to 3000.

BUT- the job I'm on at the moment, one of the welders, a damn good one at that, rocked up with a tokentools.com.au dc tig, cost him about 700 bucks. He's had it for 5 years and used it as a contractor flat out, with no problems. He reckons it's tougher than the cheaper boc and cig units he's used and has all the control. The company he works for actuall bought a second DC unit, as well as an ACDC for about 1700.

The only complaint he had was that the leads and hoses were a but cheap and too short, but can buy custom ones for a coulee if hundred. Torches are also shit but regardless which welder you buy, you're best off buying a Tigmaster flex head torch anyway.

I'm going to have a dabble with the acdc and see how it welds, but for the price For a home hack tig I don't think I can justify 3000-4000 for a brand name one when a pro welder can vouch for the Tokens durability etc.

They're Chinese made, but the Aussie guy who sells them designed and has them built to his spec. He discusses it at length on the woodwork forums, google it.

I would have to agree that Lincoln are one of the best, but they are rather expensive for occasional home use,

I recently bought a CIGWELD Weldskill 170 TIG welder. Forgotten how much, but it wasn't unreasonable.

It's compact and goes as low as 5A, perfect for thin automotive metal.

Tungsten welding rods are not cheap and you will need a few when you start out.

You can also use it to arc weld, just remember to swap the leads over or else when you TIG, you will melt the tungsten rod,

ceramic gas lens, collet and collet body, and generally end up wondering what the hell went wrong.

Not that I'm speaking from experience.wallbash.gif

If you can stretch the budget to get an AC/DC model, you can also weld Aluminium.

Hiring gas from BOC is a pain but heaps cheaper than the disposable bottles.

All in all I'd say for auto body work, the low amps and neat welds of a TIG make it the obvious choice.

+1

Recently bought a Lincoln 180c. Cost me around $1200 once i bought a new autohelmet and extra wire.

Have only used it as a gasless as thats the wire its got in it and I'm yet to sort out gas.

Welded panels just fine. running 0.8mm

Also have a CigWeld 170 Inverter Arc/Tig Welder.

If you want the best, then the only way is a dedicated machine (dedicated MIG etc) anything else (tri-function mig/tig/arc) is just a compramise.

MIG is great for someone that wants to do a bit of welding around the place every now and then. ALMOST point and shoot.

Cig

Ozito

Fema

Thanks guys for the info, I think a mig gas/gasless is perfect for my needs.

Off the top off my head I need to make a bracket for my SC ( Mild Steel 5mm ), SC intake tubing( stainless Steel ) and new muffler tip.

also keeping my eyes open for something second hand so going to have a look in the paper tomorrow.

I would get the CIG if you're getting a cheapy. I bought a cheap CIG auto helmet that was a bit faulty and when I returned it, I was able to talk directly with the guy at Thermadyne (CIG mother company) and he explained the details of what was faulty and why, they were really good to deal with.

I'm happy with my CIG 135. Gas rental is around $35 a quarter. Most parts (tips, wire) are available at Bunnings on the shelf so you don't get stuck mid project on the weekend. If they don't have it they can order it as well. It's also on a 10amp plug so you don't need different sockets. It also does .6 as well as .8 wires, so is good for thicker stuff as well as doing car panels quite easily. It should also do stainless but I've never tried, so cannot comment.

I think for general use that is a good option. I got it second hand years ago for around $500. If you look around you might be able to get it cheaper. I've never tried the gasless function either, but if you've got an arc already why would you? :)

I had a kemppi 150 light as a feather. I swapped it for a Lincoln sp170t gas/gassless with 600 my way. Love the Lincoln can weld panels if I turn it right down up to thick as steel.

Problem with migs is that they cost alot to keep running. Gas gassless wire tips and anti spatter and things go wrong.

But easy to use!

On this subject of welders, what would you guys suggest for me replacing the rusted sections in my new Ksev wagon?

I'm getting the impression from the thread that TIG welders would be the way to go. I'm not heaps fussed with how neat the job is, just don't wanna see rust outside my car, and have the ability to fix my exhaust leaks without having to take it down to Nigel all the time :(

• 3 weeks later...