May 31, 201115 yr comment_528428 Hey Guys Looked all over the net but can't find a answer to my question! Can I stick weld stainless steel intake tubing. I know I can weld stainless steel with certain rods but I have no clue what thickness stainless steel or what rods? I know the welds wont be as pretty as mig or tig but this is not for a beauty contest it just needs to seal the piping to make sure there's no leaks. What size would you fella's recommend for the tubing? Cheers in advance for the info. Edited June 15, 201115 yr by Spencer Report
May 31, 201115 yr comment_528435 You can get stainless wire to run in a mig, this actually has pretty good results if you have access to one.. Other alternative is get an exhaust shop to weld it all up as they could do all your bends and that as well Report
May 31, 201115 yr comment_528445 id say it would depend on the thickness of the tubing etc. your in Perth i see, but in Brisbane we have these huge welding supply stores. i went into one once and the guys that worked there were very knowledgeable. hopefully they hire similar intelligent people over your end of the internet. i say just take in what you want to weld, and say "what do i need to weld this". Report
May 31, 201115 yr comment_528447 I'm sure we do have welding shops like that over here, I'll ask the welders at work where they get their gear... I'll ask them your question as well. It would help to know pipe thickness. Report
May 31, 201115 yr comment_528449 I wouldn't waste your time trying unless you're pretty damn good with the stick welder. for the diameter tube you're talking about, you'll have a hard time getting it to weld without blowing holes and making a real mess. Find a Mig welder, or even better, a Tig welder. Even if you just tack it up then get it down to an exhaust shop and let them do the rest. Report
May 31, 201115 yr Author comment_528466 I think I just might buy a SIP MIG Gasless Welder and have a go with that :) I guess every garage needs a mig or tig welder Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528489 I think I just might buy a SIP MIG Gasless Welder Hell no! I'll ask the welders at work... A tray of beers and you've got it all done!! They're your best resource ever! Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528506 I think I just might buy a SIP MIG Gasless Welder and have a go with that :) Hell no! A tray of beers and you've got it all done!! They're your best resource ever! Agreed ^^^ :) Those cheap, gasless welders are not the greatest bit of gear. Better off to spend the money on drinks for the guys you get to do the job (IMHO), beer or JD seems to be universal currency! :yes: If you do get one though, practice, practice, practice, then do the job. :y: Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528513 you wont get gassless stainless wire jjust buy a cheap gas/gasless welder get some practice and go for it with the rite gear use a small wire kije .8 or .6 get the gass to suit once u have one ul be cheering with how much u use it Report
June 1, 201115 yr Author comment_528537 Gas Mig welding is just to expensive for all the bottles and refills etc. I'm pretty sure I've seen gas less stainless steel mig wire around somewhere :hmm: Might just go the global currency of liquor . Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528549 I know we have all the gear at my work in Belmont and one of the welders is a Toyota man (Mark II Tourer)... Pretty sure they do this kind of welding all the time. If you want me to enquire about a beer or cash job let me know. Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528592 I checked with the welders at work, no joy. They are flat out, no time to spare. Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528767 you can weld stainless with a stick welder, I used mine to weld stainless steel to mild steel and worked well. Not too messy either but not as good as a mig or tig! Just got to get the hang of a stick welder when its all you have at the moment and need to get it done. Report
June 1, 201115 yr Author comment_528768 Cheers for the reply Jake. What Rods did you use? I'm still thinking of going gasless mig :wink: Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_528779 you can weld stainless with a stick welder, I used mine to weld stainless steel to mild steel and worked well. Not too messy either but not as good as a mig or tig! Just got to get the hang of a stick welder when its all you have at the moment and need to get it done. What Rods did you use? I'm still thinking of going gasless mig :wink: Yes, you can stick (arc) weld stainless steel. You just need to be using stainless steel rods instead of your conventional mild steel ones, I believe they are available in several thicknesses depending on the work you're doing & should be available from welding supply stores. I know Bunnings has the mild steel ones, not too sure about SS though :hmm: You've welded stainless steel to mild steel? :huh: Being two different metals & the filler rod only being designed for one of them, how would this go for structural integrity? :blinks: Arc welders (IMHO) are not the greatest for doing thinner materials (i.e intake pipe), they just feel too brutal & don't have the finesse of a MIG/TIG. Kinda like pruning Grandmas roses with a chainsaw instead of secateurs, it can do it but it may get messy :laff: If it's your remaining option (I was really hoping the welding boys would have time to help ya :( ), go for it man! Oh, photos of your work too!! :yes: Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now