Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What Engine Into My Ke20?

Featured Replies

Hey guys

I have a 1970 ke20, at the moment there is a 4k in it with a 5speed manual gearbox,both in bad condition

I am wanting to put a better engine in her but I'm not sure which one would be suitable to replace the current one.

I also need to find a mechanic that wont rip me off and is reasonably priced with quality work

 

I have an idea of putting a 4age in her but i don't know what to do from this point on, Or would a 5k be the better choice. How much would it cost to get this all done too.

I have no mechanics in my circle of help so I'm lost.

If any one knows of a reliable mechanic in the logan area who can help me.

.

worked 4k or 5k cam, port, polish, shaved, doubble valve springs, twin 40mm dcoe side draughts. thats my dream ke20 :)

A 5k is going to be the easiest and cheapest upgrade coupled to a 5 speed

and youll be cruising, or my choice would be 2tg for period correctness, but

getting hard to find and a bit pricey.

Be the first to make your own 5K!

 

Strip the 4K, take the block to an engine reconditioners and ask if they would bore it to 5K piston size. That gives you the 5K's 1500cc instead of the 4K's 1300cc.

 

Fit new bearings, check clutch & timing chain for wear, lighten the flywheel and reassemble. Clean up the head & open the ports out to suit the inlet gasket.

 

Now you have a 1500cc motor that runs sweetly & have learnt a lot.

 

Afterwards, fit twin SU carbs or a downdraught Weber, extractors and exhaust & have the cam ground... Now you have a fast 1500cc 4K!

 

The arguments are that boring the 4K block to the 5K 80mm makes the walls too thin, but some people have done it and reckon its fine.

 

It is no doubt cheaper to get a second-hand engine and just drop it in, but you might be buying one (4K or 5K) that is 3/4 as worn as yours anyway...

 

and it is no doubt a lot more expensive to change the motor from the K series to anything else, be it 4A or T.

hey altezzaclub sorry to but in on this but yoyur alwyse usefull.

 

i wana do something similar wen i find a overrated ke20 or ke17

 

just wondering do u know if u can get 5k pistons new from toyota??

 

and am i right in saying you would have to run a 5k head gasket to match to size of the bore??

 

sorry if that last ones a stupid question

 

thanks dude :)

I've seen a few threads mentioning new 5K pistons but not from Toyota. I don't know if that's because they don't sell them or because they would charge too much...

 

I think you should go for this in your KE20 :lol:

Edited by 67Rolla-Ken

post-8643-0-71774300-1308391891_thumb.jpg

'as requested in previous post' :happy:

5k, cam, head job, sidedrafts, extractors, electronic ignition, exedy clutch, 5 speed in a ke20.

Edited by GJM85

I've seen a few threads mentioning new 5K pistons but not from Toyota. I don't know if that's because they don't sell them or because they would charge too much...

 

I think you should go for this in your KE20 :lol:

lol i want it to be sleeper, it would be hard to hide that monster in it

I don't know if Toyota carry new 5K pistons still, and you're right, you'd need a 5K head gasket.

 

The shallow dish one here, also known as the round or 'O' dish. (deep one is 'D' dish)

 

Its likely they are still around as 5Ks went on for longer in Asia as far as I know.- Malaysia/Phillipines.

 

I've been talking to this dude & he said it was dead easy to do and created no problems with bore thickness.

 

http://www.ae86drivi...rens-KE70-wagon

post-7544-0-51248300-1308475298_thumb.jpg

Be different, put a Merlin V12 in it and sit in the boot! :P

 

Mr Bean it on the roof.

Midstate Spares said $200 would buy standard sized 5K piston & rings, and a head gasket. So that's a pretty cheap conversion to 1500cc, and if the motor's shagged anyway it costs the same as going to 4K +40thou pistons yet gives you a far nicer car in the end..

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.