5Kc Solid Lifter Conversion

Jono.C

Okay. So another question, Just thinking then that the holden/ datsun combo is for a solid lifter conversion on a 5k with a 5k head

But what about for a 4k head on a 5k block? Because, Isn't a 5k block the same height as a 4k one? and with a 4k head couldn't you just run the 4kc cam pushrods lifters and head with valve gear and be done with it?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't a 5k block the same height as a 4k one? and with a 4k head couldn't you just run the 4kc cam pushrods lifters and head with valve gear and be done with it?

Yes same height block but 5Ks have larger diameter lifters so can't use 4K lifters

Edited by tojo2

Okay. So another question, Just thinking then that the holden/ datsun combo is for a solid lifter conversion on a 5k with a 5k head

But what about for a 4k head on a 5k block? Because, Isn't a 5k block the same height as a 4k one? and with a 4k head couldn't you just run the 4kc cam pushrods lifters and head with valve gear and be done with it?

Yes the block height is the same.

No you cannot use 4k lifters in a 4k block because the lifter bore is a different size. The holden lifter and datsun pushrod combination is a tried and tested combination for what your trying to achieve.

Do you have a shallow or deep dish piston 5k engine? The deep dish (D-shaped) 5k has a shallow combustion chamber in the head. That head is 6mm shorter in height than the shallow dish (O-shaped) engine. If you have the shallow dish engine using a 4k head won't lower compression as the heads are almost identical.

Here's a diagram I drew sometime ago, if you can understand what i've tried to display.

post-8643-0-19837700-1309330654_thumb.jpg

I've got the D dish 5k and Intending on using a flat top 4kc head

Ok then your sweet. I wracked my brain for weeks trying to understand the in and outs of this conversion. Use the 202 lifters, a12 pushrods, 4k head and adjustable rocker gear. Get your cam reground to suite solid lifters and you'll be sweet.

Hi I have a 3k big port head on a 5k block with 4k a rockershaft and pushrods, Landcruiser lifters, and Modified Harland Sharp "A series" 1.5 ratio 1257 roller rockers.

I went for the Landcruiser lifters because they are lighter then the holder ones,

You can by the lifters from REPCO, trade price is around $12 each,

I will dig through my dockets and get you the part number if need.

I also have some A12 push rod's if you need them as I am not using them

Edited by Crostek

Hi I have a 3k big port head on a 5k block with 4k a rockershaft and pushrods, Landcruiser lifters, and Modified Harland Sharp "A series" 1.5 ratio 1257 roller rockers.

I went for the Landcruiser lifters because they are lighter then the holder ones,

You can by the lifters from REPCO, trade price is around $12 each,

I will dig through my dockets and get you the part number if need.

I also have some A12 push rod's if you need them as I am not using them

So, the landcruiser (1F?) lifters have the same base thickness as the 4K lifters and the right diameter for the 5K lifter bores?

Also, what was modified on the rocker arms?

Interesting - what needed modifing ?

Things you need to change are

The centre bearing bushing to suit the 4k rocker shaft,

The thread for the adjuster screw has to be changed to metric M8, or you need to buy the "mini" imperial adjusters and nuts then modi the ball to fit the 4k push rod cup.

you will also need to run a lash cap as the rocker are is 1.5mm shorter than the Toyota one and under high lift there is a chance that the roller will fall off the edge of the 6mm valve.

I have also asked them if they can do these modifications to the base product for me and how much per each set once done. Just awaiting an answer

Things you need to change are

The centre bearing bushing to suit the 4k rocker shaft,

The thread for the adjuster screw has to be changed to metric M8, or you need to buy the "mini" imperial adjusters and nuts then modi the ball to fit the 4k push rod cup.

you will also need to run a lash cap as the rocker are is 1.5mm shorter than the Toyota one and under high lift there is a chance that the roller will fall off the edge of the 6mm valve.

I have also asked them if they can do these modifications to the base product for me and how much per each set once done. Just awaiting an answer

Have heard of minipeople using K rockers for a cheap 1.5 ratio mod. but didnt

know how related they were . Cheers

sorry to throw a spanner inthe works.

5k D dished / 4k head < head 6mm higher / 202 solids / a12 push rods / 4k rocker gear (adjustable) < ok i understand

5k flat top / 5k head / head std height / < CONFUSED what do i use. would the 6mm from the head effect this?

how do i compendsate this. also please take note id like to use a 4k reground cam thanks can any one help?

thanks...........