4A-Ge Starts When It Wants.

Dowsett

Hey guys i had a quick look through the older posts couldnt find what i needed.

i have a 16v bigport 4age, pretty much stock. the other day it started, then the next day it wouldnt for a few days, it started yesterday but today i can't start it again. it didnt do it when i first got it, but now it literally picks random days to start.. i don't know all that much about cars but me and dad went over everything a few weeks back and dizzy, plugs, leads, wiring, injectors everything was fine... i cleaned the plugs today tried jump starting it, it tried to fire a few times but now wont fire at all.

any help would be appreciated, f@$kin me off.

Michael

when i first got it lmfao 215368_10150232279656419_588466418_8558751_8162762_n.jpg

engine bay looks fine? dodgy but fine?

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Bit more info might help.

1. does it wind over but not start?

2. have you got spark when it won't start?

3. can you hear fuel pump working when it won't start?

4. do you have injector pulse when it's not starting?

Basically speaking you need to see if it's a spark issue or fuel issue causing you the headaches.

Sounds like it'll be a bad wiring connection causing intermittant problems. Double check powers and earths for computer and fuel pump.

Good luck mate,hope ya sort it out.

ill write it off before i sell it!

yeh it kicks over but doesnt even try to fire. yes i have spark. fuel pump is definitely pumping. I'm not sure about the injector pulse, ill check tomorrow!

i personally think its spark, because the engine smell so strong of petrol, also the sparks plugs were soaking, but i think thats cause i been sitting there pumping it..?

and yeh the wiring is really dodgy, who ever did it wasnt very interested in doing it properly.

thanks heaps for the reply!

Bit more info might help.

1. does it wind over but not start?

2. have you got spark when it won't start?

3. can you hear fuel pump working when it won't start?

4. do you have injector pulse when it's not starting?

Basically speaking you need to see if it's a spark issue or fuel issue causing you the headaches.

Sounds like it'll be a bad wiring connection causing intermittant problems. Double check powers and earths for computer and fuel pump.

Good luck mate,hope ya sort it out.

Often the reluctor in the dizzy buggers up. Common issue. Usually, but not always, this happens when it's hot. Then when it cools down, it will start.

But I have personally been through this when engine was stone cold after a few days refusing to start. From memory it will throw up a code if you do the diagnostics, but I'm guessing you may not have that judging from your wiring.

Later dizzys had a heat shield to protect the internals from the heat coming from the manifold. Easy enough to fabricate something or stick one on from something else.

If you can get access to a spare dizzy, worth swapping it in and see what happens.

But it could be a multitude of things

once its been started and is hot there is no issue, but its when its cold? we checked the dizzy and timing a few weeks ago when it first started happening and all was fine.. we also checked the timing :)

Adelaide, 20mins from gawler.

mmm not even chocolate will get this female working..... stubborn, ill just hope for the good mood haha. I'm pushing it around at the moment, keep getting stuck in mud. shit is hard by your self..

and no it doesnt start by its self haha, sometimes i turn the key and she starts first shot, other times it wont try to fire. usually if i start it every day its fine, but if i miss a day it wont start..

its a great motor, so fun at mallala but this is starting to piss me off and i don't know much about cars so when my dad is away for work i got to push it :\

Edited by Dowsett

once its been started and is hot there is no issue,

Classic head gasket weeping water into a cylinder. The water condenses on the plug and it won't fire. When it finally fires up it burns the water out and then its fine until the next night when temperatures drop.

Get a leak-down test and see.

Classic head gasket weeping water into a cylinder. The water condenses on the plug and it won't fire. When it finally fires up it burns the water out and then its fine until the next night when temperatures drop.

Get a leak-down test and see.

its had the same coolant for like 3 months, i havnt even had to top it up? the plugs are wet with petrol.. this is the worst its been it actually wont even try to fire, I'm gonna throw it off a bridge soon.......... my 7m is more reliable :D?

Spray the StartUbastard down the carb while someone is cranking it.

You're right, any spark will fire it, but you might only be getting a spark with the plug out.

It is much harder to fire that plug at 160psi inside the motor.

hmm... in your case, the throttle body, not the carb! :laff:

Edited by altezzaclub