4Age Idling At 2.5K

ke70-dori

Members dont see this ad

to be honest I'm not sure, don't know alot about 4age engines

We can't help you if you can't help yourself. Go through the rides section, research various 4age's in corolla's, know the engine bay. Then go out and look at yours and find the differences. Farmilurise yourself with what you have, tinker a bit, understand what you have.

If it's carb, have a play with the mixture and idle screws, could be your problem there.

Pictures of your engine bay may help us help you, but there is only so much we can do over the internet.

Does it always idle that high or only when cold?

If it is only when cold, then believe it or not it is actually normal (or close to normal). 4AGEs tend to idle at about ~2000rpm when cold, as the engine and coolant warm up the heat melts a wax pellet in the throttle body and closes off the idle bypass valve which is on the underside of the throttle body (and has two coolant lines running to it).

If that valve is faulty, missing or not connected properly, you will have high idle issues all the time. Also, if the idle intermittently jumps between 1-2000rpm, then you most likely have an air bubble in the cooling system, which tends to collect in the idle valve and cause the valve to not accurately follow the temperature of the coolant, causing it to open and close randomly.

to be honest I'm not sure, don't know alot about 4age engines

you arent the first person to have problems with your 4age idle. have a google and you will find heaps of threads just like this.

in general, the only way an engine will run at a higher RPM is 2 ways:

-Ingition timing is wrong, if you advance the timing it will idle higher

-air is getting into the engine when you don't want it to.

with my 4age, i got rid of all the water lines and plugged up everything around the throttle body, and set the idle with the throttle body.

with this method it always idels at what you set it at (so no idle up on cold start).

you are going to need to understand how all the systems on your engine work before you try and fix it! research research research!

yep,looks like the two water pipes on t/body not hooked up. didn't have mine hooked up originally and it idled really high. the two pipes sticking out the bottom of t/body that are blanked of need to be hooked up to cooling system or you can take the fast idle unit off the bottom of the t/body and blank that off.

hook up the pipes,works relly good on mine now.have fun...