People Wanting To Check Out Your Rolla??

BUZ440

Alright so I have been around and followed the car scene for a very long time here in Brisbane,

I get the occasional query about my car, etc etc and I had one of these and did this and that, that old chestnut which is all good

I get people asking me whats in it and if I would show them, to which I'm happy to tell them, the sump gives it away really, however politely tell them its just an engine really and don't show them, it would seem alot of people get offended by this, and I have been labelled all names under the sun on some forums,

Is there an ettiquette or procedure I need to follow about showing them? I'm happy to show genuine people who ask, which i can tell who is or not,

To be honest I don't really care that much about cars anymore, seen one seen em all, thoughts?

Members dont see this ad

Alright so I have been around and followed the car scene for a very long time here in Brisbane,

I get the occasional query about my car, etc etc and I had one of these and did this and that, that old chestnut which is all good

I get people asking me whats in it and if I would show them, to which I'm happy to tell them, the sump gives it away really, however politely tell them its just an engine really and don't show them, it would seem alot of people get offended by this, and I have been labelled all names under the sun on some forums,

Is there an ettiquette or procedure I need to follow about showing them? I'm happy to show genuine people who ask, which i can tell who is or not,

To be honest I don't really care that much about cars anymore, seen one seen em all, thoughts?

Well I guess it comes down to how you're feeling when someone asks and like you said, whether or not they're genuine. There's no procedure or ettiquette that you NEED to follow but if people ask, just politely tell them, hop in your car and give it a little (just a little) stick. I'm not into cars for anybody else's amusement or praise but if someone seems honestly interested I'll tell them about my car whether or not it impresses them. I pulled in the local store to buy some tobacco a couple of weeks ago and when I jumped out, a 16 year old kid approched me and asked me how much KE70's are worth. I gave him a few estimates based on condition and whether or not it had rego etc.

He then proceeded to tell me that he wants one for his first car and that he and his father wanted to do an engine conversion together when he got his full license. I just told him that he would probably be better off buying an AE71, explained that if he wanted to do an engine conversion later on it would be easier than doing it with a KE70, wished him good luck finding one, bought my tobacco and drove home. It only took a minute of my time and the kid was stoked on rollas. He also walked away with a little bit of information. That's fine with me. But if a dude with a mullet and a can of VB in his hand leaned his head out the window of his actually unroadworthy commolord and asked me what was under my bonnet, I'd probably pretend I didn't see or hear him and drive off.

Depends who you come across I guess. I've asked people what work they've done or had done to their cars before. Sometimes I've been rewarded with an answer and others have just shrugged me off. Seen one, haven't seen them all.

Well I guess it comes down to how you're feeling when someone asks and like you said, whether or not they're genuine. There's no procedure or ettiquette that you NEED to follow but if people ask, just politely tell them, hop in your car and give it a little (just a little) stick. I'm not into cars for anybody else's amusement or praise but if someone seems honestly interested I'll tell them about my car whether or not it impresses them. I pulled in the local store to buy some tobacco a couple of weeks ago and when I jumped out, a 16 year old kid approched me and asked me how much KE70's are worth. I gave him a few estimates based on condition and whether or not it had rego etc.

He then proceeded to tell me that he wants one for his first car and that he and his father wanted to do an engine conversion together when he got his full license. I just told him that he would probably be better off buying an AE71, explained that if he wanted to do an engine conversion later on it would be easier than doing it with a KE70, wished him good luck finding one, bought my tobacco and drove home. It only took a minute of my time and the kid was stoked on rollas. He also walked away with a little bit of information. That's fine with me. But if a dude with a mullet and a can of VB in his hand leaned his head out the window of his actually unroadworthy commolord and asked me what was under my bonnet, I'd probably pretend I didn't see or hear him and drive off.

Depends who you come across I guess. I've asked people what work they've done or had done to their cars before. Sometimes I've been rewarded with an answer and others have just shrugged me off. Seen one, haven't seen them all.

By the way, really nice car you've got haha.

Had a couple of teenagers a few weeks ago show interest in my Clubby at the local servo. I was happy to discuss a few bits about it but, didn't give too much away. One got all cranky cause I wouldn't open the bonnet. He asked me if I'd consider selling it. I said no. If I gave him my address he'd come around with his dad and discuss a deal if I changed my mind.

Honestly!. I'm not as stupid as you look.

Sometimes I just don't want to open the bonnet and show every T D or H what it's got.

Particularly if I don't like the look of you. Yes, I'm putting you into a stereotype - TOUGH S**T!.

I wouldn't worry to much. F**K EM!. To hell with ettiquette, sometimes you just have to trust your gut feeling.

• Upvote 1

i had a few guys bail me up at the servo, 1 or 2 were quite inteligent, werent corolla enthusiasts but obviously were car enthusiasts and could see i had done a bit of work to mine.

the rest.......nothing between the ears, asking stupid questions, offering stupid prices, and telling me about their mate with their sik s13 non turbo drifter. smile and nod.

you can usually tell how genunie they are by the first 3 words that come out of their mouth, and if they are wearing one of those flat brim hats. in the case of them being a knob, you just act dumb, and act like you are in a hurry.

and in your case nisrolla, give it a blast up the road, to make them even more curious:P

Edited by ke70dave

I know that I put myself in positions by attending car meets or cruises,

but once I'm out of the car, I generally run away and leave it,

Some ways I hate talking about cars, and want to talk about beer and women, oh and the All Blacks, haha

I politely decline to look under neath, I mean its nothing fancy, I don't mind helping out RC boys tho

Cops always keen to check me car out , and just like na mate you can't.

Haha I had that last week,

walked out with a carton of beers, cops around and lookin at it, asked to have a look, and i told them the keys are in it and its unlocked, haha so he jumped in

When driving the Twin Cam around, the most frequent question I was asked was "Has it got a GZE in it?". The standard answer became "What makes you think it does?". Noone asks me anything now I'm driving Blue Thing. :)

I agree with going with your gut feeling about who you show your car off to, I mean it is your car & your choice when all is said & done. Does the person firing questions at you without listening to the answer or asking another while you're answering the previous question seem genuinly interested in the car? Or could they be scoping it out to steal? Sounds a little paranoid but it's always a possibility in this sometimes messed up world of ours... or maybe just where I live! :wink:

Now I wonder if when I get told "nah don't know much mate, just got it", if that really is the case...? :lol:

I have been at car shows where the response from the owner is less than favourable. One owner of a car was around as I was looking & I asked if they would mind popping the bonnet, I was convinced I'd seen an intercooler in the front & was seriously curious! The answer was being told rather bluntly that the bonnet was not open for a reason, that reason was not explained but take a hint, compliment the car & walk away.

I'm a 'go with the gut' type of guy.

i once had a couple of guys who worked at the garage/servo near my place, ask me to show them under the bonnet, so they could see how the wiring was done on my alternator.

they said they were having trouble getting theirs wired(datto 1600)

one was in overalls, other was a behind the counter guy.

i obliged.

2 nights later my twin carbs were stolen...

so yeah, i'm a 'go with the gut' type of guy