Is A Ke30 Corolla With An Sr20 Illegal? Nsw

haydenb123

Hey guys I'm 17 and have been wanting to do a restoration project for a while now. Ive found a KE30 for sale real cheap and rust free ready for paint. The only problem is it has a SR20 motor with no gearbox. I really want to buy this and start my first project but I don't want to buy the wrong gearbox and waste a lot of money. Ive been searching the internet for days and can't seem to find a straight answer.

- What gearbox do I need

- What problems will I have getting it to fit

PLEASE HELP

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

Edited by haydenb123

Members dont see this ad

any gearbox from a SR20 silvia (s13,s14,s15) will fit on the motor. there isnt really any other car that i can think of using a RWD SR20.

as for problems putting it in, youll need to have some sort of mounting made up and a tailshaft to the diff.

Can you legally drive it?

A very good question!

Why not buy a stock KE30 and do that up?

You might also try to be a little more specific in you topic titles too... "please help" is not very informative and plenty of people (like me) usually won't bother to open it for some kid on school holidays who has no clue on how a forum operates and usually asks exactly the same dumb question asked a thousand times before... get my drift?

thank you so much Ella. great work. it already has the mounting brackets made up but i didnt think about the tailshaft. ill ask if he has it. Cheers

altezzaclub you can get f@$ked. i said I'm 17 and want to get in and have a go at a restoration. nothing wrong with someone having a go and wanting to learn.

"who has no clue on how a forum operates"

like anything your not going to know how every thing works straight away, it takes time.

"asks exactly the same dumb question asked a thousand times before.."

if you read the post you would see that i have been searching the internet for days and havent found a straight answer. so i thought i would post my question as i am in a hurry to know because i want to source a gearbox before i buy the car, but i don't want someone else to buy it in the mean time.

"please help" is not very informative and plenty of people (like me) usually won't bother to open it for some kid on school holidays who has no clue on how a forum operates

look man if you don't want to open it DON'T. but don't post in it, having a f@$king whinge. just chill. i put it as PLEASE HELP because if i new a bit about this sort of stuff and saw it, i would be more than happy to take 5 minutes out of my time to help someone out. like Ella did.

Does anyone know if it is legal. don't want to put alot of work and money into if i can't drive it.

What alternative motor could i put in? (don't need power, it just needs to run)

Cheers guys and remember, if you don't want to post, don't. Please don't come on here whinging like altezza.

"Why not buy a stock KE30 and do that up?"

I can't find one and i don't have much money. (At least you were trying to be a little helpful. and i sincerely thank you for that, just don't start whinging).

Oh and I'm not on school holidays. i work real hard as a boilermaker apprentice earning shitty apprentice wage. ($7 an hour).

so don't make assumptions that I'm just a stupid school kid.

Edited by haydenb123

Geez, lay off the angry pills.

Good on you for wanting to build a car and doing some research before asking a question, but abusing someone in your second post who had a helpful suggestion for you is not going to earn you many brownie points :no2:

A thread titled "What gearbox for a SR20 powered Corolla" provides a lot more info for users to respond to than "Please Help!!!". A large number of users will probably gloss over your title and you may miss out on a vital piece of information that you need.

RB20DET, CA18DET and SR20DET all share the exact same gearbox. Same part number and all. Only difference is the bell housing's on them.

But, don't go buying one without being positive it will fit, because i heard that of some guy with a Datsun. don't put all your money on trusting him haha.

Also, I'm not positive on this, but apparently if you put the sr20 bellhousing on an older ca20 ( Came out in early Pintara's etc) gearbox you can use that as a cheaper option to an sr20 gearbox so that could be worth checking out if your going ahead with this. Only thing is you can't squeeze too much more power out of the standard sr20 before the box starts to let go.

ok coln fair call it was abit harsh. i just hate it when people post stupid shit like that. and i said i was sincerely grateful about his suggestion but he probably didnt need to put the rest in.

and i didnt before but i now see how the title might not get me as many views. ill change it now.

thanks for the help blue. i heard that a rb25 gearbox with an sr20 bellhousing will fit. do you know anything about this?

cheers

If you're on L or P plates, yes, its illegal end of story. Any modification for more performance is illegal.

If you have a full license, I don't know if that motor in that car is illegal, but certainly if legal it will need to be engineered, and you will need to chat to the guy who is going to charge you to certify it about what he wants done. It won't be cheap, I'm talking $thousands not $hundreds.

i said I'm 17
I can tell....

thanks mate. yeah I'm on my p's. forgot all about the performance mods thing.

is there any readily avaible, legal motors i can put in? i had a look around the net but couldnt find any 3k motors.

sorry about before mate, i just hate it when older people think they can tell me what to do, just because I'm only 17.

i can see you were trying to be helpful but personally i don't believe this part was needed. I'm not a dumb school kid.

"some kid on school holidays who has no clue on how a forum operates and usually asks exactly the same dumb question asked a thousand times before"

Edited by haydenb123