Eaton M90 On A 5K Too Big?

YLD 10S

Hello again,

I have decided to build a mofo 5k EFI setup that will hopefully backed by a fitted tri-matic to push my rust infected Ke55 into the sunset of the 11 second zone. But that is not my question. Seeing as I am doing a full rebuild with all the 'fruit', I am also deciding instead of doing a possibly way better turbo setup, to run a dirty supercharger. But, will the humble 5K be able to spin say, a 4th gen M90? Yes I have looked at the possibility of an SC14, but, I WANT MORE POWAHZ!

Anyway, I had a look at some specs and noticed that the M90 was

Length: 360mm/ width: 240mm/ height: 160mm/

As opposed to the SC14's size of

length: 311mm/ width: 148mm/ height: 254mm/

Now, I know I missed some crucial specifications in there , but, is this too big?

Has anyone else tried it?

Members dont see this ad

That's a pretty big blower for a 1500 cc engine. Are you gonna do port work to the head? What efi setup will you use?

At the moment I have a 7-Ke manifold setup off Stu (kickin5k) that made 100+rwkw with the sc12 from what I remember. I'm going to get the head ported enough for good flow, but I don't want to turn the car into an exploding delorean by porting the head too much.

Maybe the first supecharged 150+rwkw?

Challenge accepted!! :D

How's my old setup going man??? As I've said before that setup with the right cam should make around 110-115rwkw

On 12psi(it made 102 on 8.5psi on mine with a stock head) It does have it's little quirks but again if you need to know anything pm me or prank me and I'll call you back(it should make 12psi with the ports all plumbed in like I let you know in pm) I'd get that going first. Also that setup would benefit with a 50-100 shot of NOS at the strip(have you considered this option)

SC14 won't make much of a difference in top end HP over the SC12 you have. Boost is instant with the 14 where it creeps with the 12.

The eaton is a reasonable option but they are quite large.

Stu.

How's my old setup going man??? As I've said before that setup with the right cam should make around 110-115rwkw

On 12psi(it made 102 on 8.5psi on mine with a stock head) It does have it's little quirks but again if you need to know anything pm me or prank me and I'll call you back(it should make 12psi with the ports all plumbed in like I let you know in pm) I'd get that going first. Also that setup would benefit with a 50-100 shot of NOS at the strip(have you considered this option)

SC14 won't make much of a difference in top end HP over the SC12 you have. Boost is instant with the 14 where it creeps with the 12.

The eaton is a reasonable option but they are quite large.

Stu.

Hmmm, you always seem to give me a lot to think about hahaha, but It's good, I need to think through every option to acquire the best possible outcome. Might stay witht he 12 and upgrade to 14 when I get bored.

I'd get NOS but I don't wan't to feel like Brian O'Connor doing a Buck Twenny down the strip at 'Race Warz' But on a serious note, is NOS expensive?

Nitrous kits are cheap, (starting at 400 odd dollars for a simple fogger system)

but to properly set up a nitrous kit takes a fair bit of effort (managing the extra fuel needed when the nitrous activates, for most its a simple solenoid setup to activate on what, but then there is extra fuel etc)

IMO M90 is way too big for anything under around 3litres. It would work with a very very cranky 2.5odd litre engine, but on somethign like a 5K, there would be very minimal gains (if any)

If you want a more efficient but smaller SC, try the M45 (found on mercedes Kompressor models)

I picked one up on ebay off a car wth only 20k kms on the engine for $300 odd a few years back. The Merc ones come with a cast extension to fit a by-pass valve to as well (bonus!)

Will be a heap more efficient than SC12 or SC14.

Also, to compare them up, look for CFM ratings and some plots of CFM:RPM

Edited by orangeLJ

i'll probably get flamed for this but why try polishing a turd? 5k's were not made for making power, i mean look at the ports on all 4/5/7k's Why not just drop a 4agze in it and wind the boost up? whats the reliability going to be of a 5k @150rwkw thats had shit loads spent on it (for a k series motor) as apposed to a stock internal'd 4agze?

i'll probably get flamed for this but why try polishing a turd? 5k's were not made for making power, i mean look at the ports on all 4/5/7k's Why not just drop a 4agze in it and wind the boost up? whats the reliability going to be of a 5k @150rwkw thats had shit loads spent on it (for a k series motor) as apposed to a stock internal'd 4agze?

Not Heating up the flame thrower YET!! But STD internals are good for over 150rwkw or 20odd psi!!!! With the right cylinder head of course.

Stu.

Not to bag the supercharger, but when shooting for that level of power turbo is a much more sensible option.

You will always make more power with a turbo, and you will achieve your goal a whole lot easier.

I can see the point in polishing the turd, providing the spending is done smart.

Some of the setups on here are pushing out 120rwkw quite easily,that is a decently fast car at 700-900kg.

Although i would bet probably about 10% of the sc12/14 5k beasts idle, or even run half decent.

From what i have seen the majority get sold on to the next person whos ambitious enough to have a go.

I tend to agree with Matty on opting for a turbo,

But the torque that some of these super'd motors are a real difference in power delivery,

Some of the above numbers may not look spectacular, but gee some of them get up and boogie,

SC blowers would be my pick, and fuel efficient (to some degree)

I get where your coming from, but this is how I worked out why I'm using a 5k

Compare the Pair:

Shipping price of the 4AGZE and gearbox - X amounts of 5K motors (Got mine with a gearbox for $150)

4AGZE price with gearbox = Full pro-spec rebuild of the 5K

Brakes and misc to fulfill engineering = dirty big turbo/supercharger efi setup

Welded mounts for engine and gear box properly done to engineering standard = 9 million 5k gearboxes or a built Holden trimatic with suited bellhousing and Hilux diff for the record breaking 11 second time you promised your 30 cats you would do

Requires a proper job or a loan to fund it - Currently on $150 a week

Done before - Nostalgic as a mofo and a personal choice of difference (Hipster?)

Power outputs so far:

4AGZE finally in car and engineered: 100rwkw

Dirty big Turbo/Supercharged 5K: 150+rwkw ;)

The problem with 4K/5K heads is the valve size particularly the size of the exhaust valve and the shrouding of it by the side of the combustion camber in the head.

To get around this I have installed 4G37 (EDIT sorry not 4g36 i use them for rings) Mitsubishi 1.8lt exhaust valves and retainers these valves are 3mm oversize and cheap to get, I then board out the valve seat, and re-cut to suit.

I also used a larger seat cutter to open up the area around head the valve in the camber right out to the edge of the cylinder wall.

Ports on the head are restricted by the size of the small radius and the size/opening between it and the valve guide. I punch the valve guides out/back into the head and machine this area out to a smooth radius similar to the way shown in the TRD manual then put the valve guides back in (you don't have to knock them all the way out just fare enough that you don't hurt them with the die grinder)

If you do both the above and run a cam with a high lift you should be able to get more fuel in and more burnt fuel out, and hopefully close to the horse power you want.

Also be running a small NOS system you gain more power. Not from the gas but from the cooling effect of the NOS gas on the intake air temp

Edited by Crostek