Yn85R Hilux Carby Turbo

sleepercorty

bad things happen when i get bored, i have a yn85r hilux as my run around to pick up parts and so on and have been driving it a fair bit lately so ive had boost withdrawals from not driving the cressida.

so i bought a wrx standard turbo off a mate for $100 and I'm going to do a blow through weber carby set up. i spent today doing half of the job so all i really have to do is make a J pipe for the turbo, exhaust and boost pipe. ive done as much as i can so its still drivable and will try do the rest next weekend.

first thing i did was pull the sump off and weld a fitting in for the oil drain

12112011800.jpg

then i pulled dissy apart and drilled two holes and put screws in to stop the mechanical advance, i set it to 20 degrees but was was to gutless so its now probably around 28 degrees.

12112011804.jpg

then found a t-piece in the shed that will run the oil feed line for the turbo from the oil sender, and also drilled and tapped a thread in the bottom side of the fuel pump (under the diaphram). the theory behind the fuel pump is that if you add boost pressure under the diaphram it makes up for the pressure of the boost in the carby. if you don't do this the pressure of the boost pushes the fuel out of the carby and back to the fuel tank. so technically i don't think it adds fuel pressure it just equalises it, a mate of mine gave me the idea and he said hes done it before and worked well so will see. worst case if it doesnt work will just buy a fuel reg and electric pump.

12112011801.jpg

then made a boost hat for the carby, id already put the carby on a while ago so that part was already done. i didnt have an air filter to suit so you will see my quality alternative

12112011806.jpg

if all goes to plan it should only cost about $300 and I'm thinking on around 8-10psi should double my power. i have a dyno graph somewhere from when i put the weber carby on, it was the first carby id tuned and turned out okay for a stock 2y (1.8 litre) with a weber, think it made 62rwhp so i suppose the goal will be around 120rwhp

heres a picture of the parts rig in action its about the only one of have of it, its not something i really would normally show off

24102010128.jpg

Edited by sleepercorty

Members dont see this ad

fisinhed this last night. i guessed with the drill bit for the jet size but couldnt of got it more perfect, if you look at the dyno graph it has 12.0 afr's as flat as ive ever seen with any car. drove it around last night and started with 10 degrees of timing wasnt enough so went to 20 degrees and left it there, then added an extra 5 degree on the dyno. so has 25 degrees static and vacuum advance takes it to around 35 degrees off boost and when boost comes in its back to 25 no sign of any detonation. its just running 8psi straight off the actuator, will drive it for a little bit then will probably see how 14psi looks :lolcry: . the dyno graph is before and after boost so made a good improvement

18112011819.jpg

18112011814.jpg

18112011816.jpg

18112011817.jpg

• Upvote 1