Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rians Ke70

Featured Replies

  • Author

Yeah I bought like a $10 2 arm puller off eBay. I cracked the rim off one pulley using screwdrivers and snapped off the bit with the timing mark. That was great. It'd be way easier out of the car though.

 

The timing pulley actually came off with 2 screwdrivers and I didn't break anything. So lucky!

 

I also ordered new front main seal, rear main seal, cam seals, cam cover seals, spark plug cover seal, dizzy o-ring, timing belt kit and intake and exhaust gaskets. No more leaks hopefully! The engine was so gross and oil when I got it.

  • Replies 611
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I pulled the old engine while I waited for parts to get the new engine ready:

 

post-9612-0-37857300-1433330044_thumb.jpg

post-9612-0-41934700-1433330057_thumb.jpg

post-9612-0-42633500-1433330076_thumb.jpg

 

 

Then the new seals arrived:

 

post-9612-0-89056300-1433330107_thumb.jpg

 

 

I started pulling out the old seals:

 

post-9612-0-19402600-1433330119_thumb.jpg

 

 

Cam seals out:

 

post-9612-0-49129900-1433329975_thumb.jpg

 

 

Front main seal out. I may have put a tiny scratch in the crank :osama: but I hit it with some wet 2000 grit and it came up pretty smooth, hopefully it doesn't chew the new seal:

 

post-9612-0-34129000-1433330029_thumb.jpg

 

 

New cam seals in:

 

post-9612-0-25790000-1433329991_thumb.jpg

 

 

New crank seal in:

 

post-9612-0-63886900-1433330013_thumb.jpg

 

 

Will do the cam cover seals, dizzy o-ring, dipstick o-ring, rear main and carrier gasket another day. I've also got front, rear and speedo drive gearbox seals to replace too. Hopefully this will fix all the leaks.

Edited by rian

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

EDIT: All the photos are sideways for some reason. CBF changing it.

 

 

Got some time to replace the rain main seal as well. The seal came with the carrier gasket so I replaced that as well with a bit of Ultra Black in there for good measure.

 

Carrier out:

 

post-9612-0-13129500-1434025686_thumb.jpg

 

 

Cleaned up the mounting surface:

 

post-9612-0-49062900-1434025811_thumb.jpg

 

 

New seal and gasket in:

 

post-9612-0-59218300-1434025578_thumb.jpg

 

 

New pump:

 

post-9612-0-19473900-1434025631_thumb.jpg

 

 

While I was there I sealed up the oil dipstick because it looked to be leaking.

 

 

Then I had a dig at replacing the gearbox seals. Input seal was super easy, output seal was pretty shit.

 

Pulled the input thingy off:

 

post-9612-0-42688300-1434025354_thumb.jpg

 

 

Pulled the old seal out and cleaned up the seat:

 

post-9612-0-11563900-1434025449_thumb.jpg

 

 

New seal in with a bit of grease on the inner lip:

 

post-9612-0-94157900-1434025496_thumb.jpg

 

 

The old gasket was fine so I reinstalled it with some Ultra Black:

 

post-9612-0-33805000-1434025395_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

Now for the output seal. What a pain in the butt.

 

post-9612-0-56022700-1434025537_thumb.jpg

 

I removed the output shroud thingy and it looked fairly straight forward to remove the seal:

 

post-9612-0-81135100-1434027091_thumb.jpg

 

 

I initially though "oh yeah I'll just pry it out".

Didn't work.

Then I tried to drill it, drive in some screws and pull it out with pliers.

Didn't work.

Then I thought "ʞ©$ɟ it, I'll just pull the extension housing off"

Pulled the extension housing off, old cruddy oil everywhere:

 

post-9612-0-92851700-1434026948_thumb.jpg

 

 

Then I tried to pry it out again now that I could actually get some leverage.

Didn't work.

 

I ended up needing to use my spigot bearing puller to get it out, and even then it was pretty tight:

 

post-9612-0-75154400-1434027147_thumb.jpg

 

 

Cleaned up the seat and chucked the new seal in:

 

post-9612-0-80973200-1434027048_thumb.jpg

 

post-9612-0-20008500-1434026994_thumb.jpg

 

 

Then onto the speedo pinion seal.

The pinion gear housing was fairly tight and took a bit of force to get out, I didn't replace the O-ring because I forgot to get one and it was dark by this time. Got the housing out:

 

post-9612-0-52339400-1434024907_thumb.jpg

 

 

Pulled the pinion gear out and found the seal inside, wondered "how the ʞ©$ɟ am I going to get this out?":

 

post-9612-0-34156200-1434024837_thumb.jpg

 

 

But lucky I had an M12 bolt that threaded into the seal tightly, then I secured the speedo pinion housing in the vice and used a smaller bolt and a hammer to tap it out from the other side. Worked a treat:

 

post-9612-0-91380800-1434024880_thumb.jpg

 

 

Pressed the new seal in with a deep socket and chucked the pinion gear housing back in the extension housing, then I wrestled the extension housing back onto the gearbox (ʞ©$ɟing shifter forks were so fiddly, especially when your workbench is a milk crate) and sealed it up with more Ultra Black. If I get anymore gearbox leaks i'm going to be pissed.

post-9612-0-20871900-1434025742_thumb.jpg

Edited by rian

  • Author

I hope so. It used to leak pretty bad, there's a massive oil patch on the underside of my car from where the gearbox output seal leaked onto the driveshaft and just sprayed oil everywhere. Plus my gearbox always needed to be topped up.

  • Author

Ever figure out what happened to old engine?

 

Nah I just gave up on it. Pretty sure it was just low on compression, because timing(ignition and cam), spark and fuel all seemed to be in order. It would actually start if I poured some oil down the spark plug holes to bump up the compression, but would only run for a few seconds then die.

If the new engine goes in and starts up then I can rule out any electrical or fuel problems as I will be using the same wiring loom/injectors/ecu etc.

If that rear seal ever leaks again just tap off the guard and use a seal puller, something like this...

image_17503.jpg

Edited by styler

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

IT"S ALIVE!

 

I drove it around the block. There's a couple of things that need sorting out but it looks promising, no leaks yet :y:

 

Will add some pics soon.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.