Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3K Cross Plane Crankshaft

Featured Replies

i am highly skeptical that you could feel any difference in traction in a ~1000kg car with 2 rear tyres that sit relatively flat.. and where the driver is merely a passenger to his own inputs, as opposed to moving his weight to drive it.

I'm with Dave on this point. The only time I had any issues with traction in the 11 was when it was stationary and I was a bit aggressive with the clutch.

KE-11 with 102rwkw and STUPID amounts of torque still struggles to turn a 195/60r13 tyre under pure acceleration.

 

But I'd still like to see a "Big Bang" k motor. You need to prove me wrong ko10!!!!!! I'd be very happy the hear "I told you so"

If we listened to the the people that doubt our ideas we would have no repco brabbam f1 championship or Such cool cars as the bolwell nagari etc. Backyard engineering is where they all started.

 

Stu.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 101.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • As opposed to your push rod I4? Very astute of you, but the only pushrod V8 I own is in my stateman and it needs no playing, just abusing. and you would not have known about that unless you really di

  • Camshaft is easy enough to get made up, but they will have to grind from a blank, couldn't use a factory one. They just need to know how to index each lobe when they set it up in the grinder. Will sti

  • Well close your eyes and play with your push rod v8 Simple !!

Posted Images

  • Author

I'm with Dave on this point. The only time I had any issues with traction in the 11 was when it was stationary and I was a bit aggressive with the clutch.

KE-11 with 102rwkw and STUPID amounts of torque still struggles to turn a 195/60r13 tyre under pure acceleration.

 

But I'd still like to see a "Big Bang" k motor. You need to prove me wrong ko10!!!!!! I'd be very happy the hear "I told you so"

If we listened to the the people that doubt our ideas we would have no repco brabbam f1 championship or Such cool cars as the bolwell nagari etc. Backyard engineering is where they all started.

 

Stu.

 

Fair call on that there's nothing like expirence, true Sir Jack Brabbem is one of my insperations the other not many people are willing to do work out side the box but anyway how did it handle the corners did your 11 step out much?

Do you think this would have any effect on the cornering at all i've got my expieriance from flat track cars and bikes (dirt) so have bugger all on circuit cars but thats what i want to do with this car ,I know it works on the dirt but how much will carry over ? they are VERY different sports

Fair call on that there's nothing like expirence, true Sir Jack Brabbem is one of my insperations the other not many people are willing to do work out side the box but anyway how did it handle the corners did your 11 step out much?

Do you think this would have any effect on the cornering at all i've got my expieriance from flat track cars and bikes (dirt) so have bugger all on circuit cars but thats what i want to do with this car ,I know it works on the dirt but how much will carry over ? they are VERY different sports

 

Well I must admit I could step it out if I wanted too or I was a bit early on the loud pedal. The rear tyres were well past their use by date too.

 

What rolla are we talking about? Now come to think about it, this would make a KE-10/11 epic in the wet(no more 3rd gear loop outs) You could even get on the throttle way earlier(drive it like a motox bike) in the dry too. I'm liking this more and more!!

 

Stu.

  • Author

I've got a ke-10 stock as plus a k-10 with a 20v stuck on agze bottom running commodor gear but the stock one's going to be a group N car don't know if the build will fit the spec's of group N not sure how far the rules can get stretched there's also a k-11 I'm soon to sell its tubbed and set up for a 10A rotor but the bodys rusty it'd be a good drag car base

 

currently looking at any specs on crank strokes, rod lengths, piston gudgen diameter that can be mixed and matched

even valves out of other cars that have been made to fit would love to hear about anything unusual (eg fergie tractor sleaves machined down to fit XS650 barrels now running 770cc )anything toyota X

Ps only recently found out yamaha worked VERY close with toyota developing alot of there heads please don't judge me for being slow on this lol

Edited by KO 10

This is why you build it... A home-machined .50cal BMG rifle that you'll never go hunting with or shooting down helicopters, or blowing up oil depots, or.... using at a rifle range.

Something a mate built from scratch including the barrel, not because he had a use for it, but because he could! ..and yes, the recoil is irresistible, the blast stunning and the noise unbelievable!

post-7544-0-75894600-1322524986_thumb.jpg

This is why you build it... A home-machined .50cal BMG rifle that you'll never go hunting with or shooting down helicopters, or blowing up oil depots, or.... using at a rifle range.

Something a mate built from scratch including the barrel, not because he had a use for it, but because he could! ..and yes, the recoil is irresistible, the blast stunning and the noise unbelievable!

 

Dddaaaaammmmnnn!!!! That thing would take down a 747.

  • Author

Haha that is sweet and it looks so tuff wana shoot a rabbit or the whole warren???

  • 1 year later...

Hi all, hate digging up an old thread. But I too am in the process of building a Crossplane K motor, I already have everything disassembled on a bench, I've spoken to a guy at Crankshaft Rebuilders in Melbourne and I'm looking at $4,500 for a custom Cross-Crank, my only concerns are of the counterweights being in an issue in the bottom of the block and a custom cam to go with the new throw order of the pistons...? Any season veteran K engine builders on here know of any issues I might run into...?

 

The premise of the idea is to get that crazy sound of the 09+ Yamaha to which I own one of, humming out the ass of my KE55, one of a kind area is what I'm going for...!

Why don't you just fit a bike motor? At least you'll have all the appropriate supporting hardware rather than 30 year old worn out components designed to support a flat plane partially counter balanced lower revving set up.

 

It'll probably give you more go for your money.

Edited by snot35

I could never understand why this would even be thought of for a road car......

It was introduced for 250+ hp bikes for stability in high rpm, high speed corners.

Sure it might sound funky but then again you could just buy a rotary and give it a massive BP.

Edited by Twinky

Hi all, hate digging up an old thread. But I too am in the process of building a Crossplane K motor, I already have everything disassembled on a bench, I've spoken to a guy at Crankshaft Rebuilders in Melbourne and I'm looking at $4,500 for a custom Cross-Crank, my only concerns are of the counterweights being in an issue in the bottom of the block and a custom cam to go with the new throw order of the pistons...? Any season veteran K engine builders on here know of any issues I might run into...?

 

The premise of the idea is to get that crazy sound of the 09+ Yamaha to which I own one of, humming out the ass of my KE55, one of a kind area is what I'm going for...!

 

i see little point going to so much effort and expense and continuing to use pushrods and a non crossflow head, fair enough if you build a 16v head to go with it, but then you may as well start from scratch and design a completely new engine. (which i find most attractive!)

There you go! Put a filfrederick 4AGE head onto your cross-plane crank and you have a real flyer still using a K block!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.