The New '86 Finally Arrives

altezzaclub

Hopefully one should come into work for a first service inspection :) And I test drive will be had :) I drive cars at work all day with fly by wires I prefer the feel of a cable but they honestly don't bother me, oh and if they ever get stuck on you can just turn the key off you know ;) Old camrys have a habit if you put yhe throttle wide open the cable kinks and stays on so cables aren't perfect either, haha.

Members dont see this ad

I'm not sure if this question has been asked but will GT86 owners have there own space on Rolla Club. No I didnt see any corolla badges on it but it is based on the spirit/ driftability (is that a word?) and agility of the original 86.

I'm not opposed to it, but I don't want it to be a ghost town either.

I'm not opposed to it, but I don't want it to be a ghost town either.

I suppose for you, it would come down to how many people actually buy one in the next few years. From what I can tell so far, not many will be buying them until their price depreciates a bit.

Well I'm not laughing, I just trust my foot more than fly by wire. Something sketchy about it that I don't like. I wouldn't trust a computer to do the braking for me either.

Oh I hear you man, i'm a mechanical engineer, I don't trust anything that I can't see moving. Like electrons.... But there's no stopping progress!

Funny thing is I showed my mum this concept about a year and a half ago and now she has also put down a deposit. I,m not sure how i feel about that :hmm: . She must be having a midlife crises.

When you think about it, plenty of mums and grandmas have been buying corollas for 40 years, no real surprise I spose.

• Upvote 1

Oh I hear you man, i'm a mechanical engineer, I don't trust anything that I can't see moving. Like electrons....

I would so make a sig out of that if I knew how.

Mechanical engineer hey? One of my friends is doing his degree at the moment. Majoring in Motorsport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mate of mine just picked up his blue GTS the other day. He let me have a go of it on saturday night.

- the driving position is great, seats a great, but man there isnt much room. i only just fit (6ft, ~80kg), and my left knee rested on the console thing. and i coudlnt get my knee easily under the wheel for some heal-toe action. though i didnt spend much time playing with the adjustable seat, just slid it back a bit. perhaps there is more seat adjustment than what i found. But you sit so low!

- It sounds like a boxer engine, and i now find out that this is because they don't have equal length headers......i suspect a good set of extractors will make a world of difference.

- its fastish, but could do with a few more horse powers, it revs very nicely. gearbox is beautiful, properly beautiful. Except for the "pull the thing up to go into reverse" arrangement. not a fan of that. but I'm sure it works fine.

- when the traction control and all all the esp crap is off......it is properly off!! I gave it a bit of an enthusiastic change into 2nd gear around a corner, and it had no problem letting the rear a tad loose.

- steering has a fantastic feel, really quite firm even at speed, gives great feedback.

- suspension is spot on for a street sports car, that wonderful firm but compliant feel.

I know this is going to sound very cliche, but it really does feel like an updated ae86. or at least an updated version of a older n/a rwd. Not all that fast but alot of fun to

drive and really gets the driver involved in the driving.

He only paid $32k for the GTS one , which for a brand new car is pretty damn good.

i reckon a good exhaust system, and a better intake (assuming its a bottle knock, no doubt it is) i reckon the car will come alive. oh and some sticky tyres, standard ones not that great. but as a factory car its already pretty fantastic.

...anyone wanna buy all of my stuff so i can buy a gt86?

Went to have a look see and test drive,couldnt even get into the seat properly to give it a go,I'm 5foot 8inches and 80kg but really broad shoulders so just walked away,not interested in having to change the seats in a brand new car and if I'm not comfortable I'm not interested but apart from that,initial impressions were positive.

Edited by oldie

• 4 weeks later...