4Age Fwd To Rwd

Alvarado.e09

photo-6.jpg

Not really a good pic its still all in the plastic from being shipped. Ill get some better pictures up soon.

So the only thing I'm going to be running on a belt is the alternator and water pump. What size belt will i use? I havent looked anything up yet about the belt not really sure but shouldnt be to hard.

Members dont see this ad

I'm not sure on the fittings.

With the belt, you just adjust the tensioner (which in this case is pivoting the alternator) to its most minimal setting, then you wrap a piece of string around the pulleys and cut it to the exact length you need. Then the auto parts store has the tool to measure which part number belt you need.

further to littered's comment, you will need to tell them how many ribs you want in the belt to. belts are described by how many ribs they have, and how long it is.

or just take in your water pump pulley when you go to buy it, thats what i did a few yrs ago.

Okay cool I'll do that thanks.

So I looked at the engine a little better today and it's a FWD engine. The manifolds are FWD but I can cut and weld the intake Mani right? Also the thermostat is set up for Fwd can I use the FWD thermostat set up or do I need to chance to RWD?

Also what Ecu would I get just any Ecu for a GTS and the harness would I have to get the dash harness to pug in the Ecu or can I make the Sr5 dash harness work?

Okay so i took the dash out last night only thing is i couldnt get the plastic part that holds in the cluster apart from the dash. I don't know if I'm missing something or its just old and suck on.

photo-11.jpg

photo-12.jpg

There is this rubber mat stuff on the floor its pretty ugly and has a lot of gross stuff on it. I was going to get a heat gun and a putty knife to take it off. After everything is all cleaned up i was going to pressure wash and paint the inside black.

photo-10.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-8.jpg

Okay so I could only find a external pump that pushes 20 PSI so it looks like i will be doing this. I'm guessing OEM Pressure is around 70PSI? so thats what I'm looking for

photo-14.jpg

I think that looks like it will work out pretty good. I think I will be doing this on the weekend.

Edited by Alvarado.e09

If you are converting all the wiring to gts specs, then Id use the gts under dash wiring with it or its not going to make sense.

If I were you I would adapt the gts engine loom into the sr5 body, which isnt as hard as you might think.

You steal the power feeds for the engine loom from a switched ignition source which you can find or create, then you connect the tacho wire, wire in the fuel pump, connect your grounds and it should run fine. If you have a complete engine loom it could be as few as 10 or 12 wires that you would need to connect to make it run. Basically just power feeds and grounds, plus the engine or ecu related components athat are mounted in the body, eg fuel pump, coil, etc. Add a relay for the efi, starter if you are keen and maybe headlights to revive the brightness of 30 year old lights.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

To be honest i didnt understand any of that really ha. I am planning on running a switch for the fuel pump hidden under the seat or something i don't want my car to get stolen. I was just worried about the ECU because the engine harness connects to the dash harness and the dash harness is connected to the ECU right? I'm sure i can find someone to help me out with the wiring.

I found almost all the parts i need going to be ordering on Saturday

GTS throttle cable

MR2 ECU i was told it will work.

Slave Cylinder New

both intake and exhaust manifolds

Fuel pump 70psi new from napa.

I'm going to be doing a lot of work this weekend I hope i can drop the engine in.

Well in general terms, the engine is wired right to the ecu, you don't need to have the right dash loom.

The interaction between the body and the engine control system is minimal. Like I said, power feeds, grounds, fuel pump, tacho wire, there arent a lot of things to connect once the 90& of the wires which should go to the motor are connected.