Toytoa 5R Engine???

Corey_wwv

hey ive come across a toyota 5R engine as fair as i no its a 2 litre and came out off a toyota dyna.

and anything else anyone knows will be greatly appreciated.

I'm mainly just wounding if anyone noes of them being converted into early corolla's and what sort of gearboxs bolt up an also if it is a worthwhile conversion?

Thanks, Corey

Members dont see this ad

I think there are much better engines to be mucking around with to go into a Corolla.

They are a commercial vehicle engine. They won't like to rev much I suspect.

Not all commercial engines "don't like to rev" ;)

But agreed there are better engines to swap

I've always rated a 2sc as a possible engine conversion for an early corolla.

They're cheap as hell out of a corona (engine and box for probs 200 or less)

They go damn well for what they are in a corona so in a 750kg corolla..

Chuck a weber and extractors etc on them for a little more power, you can get the fuel injection gear off the camry with 'em from the wreckers for next to nothing

And then it's already got the mounts etc for a 3sge conversion later on

• 2 weeks later...

i once had a ke10 that i put an 18r-c in and they near bolt in on factory mounts, 5r or 12r might bolt straight in, just used it for circle work in the paddock when it was wet, so it had no clutch or anything.

the 5R is a beautiful motor and shares much in common with the early K blocks, although it is a very heavy engine designed more for torque than hp.

they were more industrial and were used to power big heavy items such as forklifts, trucks, buses, boats, taxis and the large saloons in the crowns where hp was not the goal but rather a reliable chugger that also used LPG fuels.

i have a few of them as i have two stouts, one toyota and the other an earlier toyopet, i have four 5r's as spares in my shed and one of them has done over 900,000 kms untouched out of a 1977 toyota dyna that was only parked due to rust issues.

the 18R is not as good as the 5R in my books and the 5R has many gearboxes that fit it such as 2 and 3 speed auto, 4 and 5 speed manuals, although an adapter to make one fit a celica 5 speed would be the best option.

apart from the weight issues i would have a 5R in a corolla before i would put a 18R-C or even a 18RG, as the 5R offers better power at lower revs and a max of 5,500rpm and in the stouts they have a 8inch 6.1:1 diff in the same style as the earlier land cruisers centres and a termed can pull christ off a cross.

i had a 1969 toyota dyna "ex nullabor mail delivery truck" and even that with a luton peak on the h'way after time would still get to the point you could start over taking and would clime the gillies ranges "near cairns" in topgear with out needing to change gears and yet most of the time if you could get it to do 80 was a surprise and also a sad reality

oh as a later note i did hear at one point that the 5R were used in the toyota tow vehicles at air ports, not just luggage but for the plane as well

Edited by whysmee

5R's are heavy old boat motors that should be left at the bottom of the sea.

they share nothing with the 18R's etc. completely different series of engine.

they are pushrod motors, have a massive 'half bellhousing' cast as part of the block, make no power and generally have nothing going for them.

but a 5 minute google search would have told you that...

stick to whats popular. i know, everyone wants to be different blah blah.. 5k, 2tg, 4age etc are common conversions for a reason. they are the cheapest way to get good performing engines and arent too hard to get bits or info on.

and jono. if you were gonna do a 2s conversion to a corolla wouldnt you just pay the same amount and do the 3sge conversion from the start?

another person that boasts about a topic they have no idea about.....

the 5R does not have a half bellhousing cast as part of the engine block, it is actually removable unlike the 12R.

the 5R is not any heavier than a 18R, it is actually equal of a 22RE in power out put and it might be a an old push rod engine that had a very long production life because they were so good.

some of them have a five main bearing crank and are ideal for some serious boost levels that a low compression engine built far better than some crappy american V8's that so many crap on about.

the 5R was built for LPG and had small Venturi in the carby for torque and not hp or high revs and if they had twin carbs or some even fitted a single stromberg to the point they could give certain locally made sixes a run in the trucks and buses.

ok so they were only just over 100hp in stock format, but with little work such as say fitting a turbo or a SC14 and force feeding one, i dare say one would be very surprised and might rethink paying something out you have no idea about