Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Steering Rack Options

Featured Replies

Hey fellas,

I have searched around various places, with no luck,

My question is simply this; What steering racks bolt into ke70's, and what effects do they have (ie. length, ratios)?

I ask this as I suspect my rack is a little raped, and I plan on doing the s13 front conversion, requiring rack ends anyway, and with a rooted rack would defeat the purpose.

Power steering may also be consider as I have the gear with my ke's future powerplant (assuming ps simply requires a pump and lines to the rack and not much more too technical) but ps is not preferred.

 

Or, how much to get a rebuild (in Adelaide)

Some links, stories, what ever could help.

Thank you all!

AE86 rack should slot in and give you a little more lock/camber. Another KE70 rack with new bushes/rack ends etc?

^ camber?

 

IMO I'd just rebuild the rack you have/ find a better condition one, go some of those polyurethane rack bushes off ajps and get a lock spacer :happy:

Camber or lock, wasn't sure which one haha.

 

Lock it is.

 

Listen to blueKsev.

I just rebuilt mine. A new end bushing would have been ideal but they're about $60 and I decided it wasn't worth it. I think AE86 racks are very similar so I'm not sure how much you'd gain with that. You can use KE30 etc turn buckles for more length. If it's really stuffed maybe try and find a good condition AE86 rack from an importers, otherwise you can adjust the rack if it doesn't feel so great. If the boots have been knackered for a while it might be worth cramming some fresh grease in it after a clean.

 

AE86/KE70 racks also give you the option of fitting a quaife quick rack... :)

 

 

AE86/KE70 racks also give you the option of fitting a quaife quick rack... :)

 

Always wondered how you pronounce the "quaife" in quaife quick rack....

i reckon its pronounced "qwafe"

 

i highly suggest against the s13 gear.

 

Although my recommendation means squat, I also suggest NOT using S13 gear. AE86 gear isn't much more expensive (if at all) and you still retain your geometry.

Hmm, I thought it would be "keef" or "kayfe" But then there wouldn't be much use for that 'u"....or the "i"

Edited by Willis

Seems to be the consensus.

Cheers

Take it into a rack place and ask them what is worn. If you find an exploded diagram on the web you can see what parts will wear over time, but some are more resilient than others.

 

It maybe that a pair of rack end joints will make it like brand-new, or maybe a rack bush as well. If the rack gear/pinion is worn then its a bit more terminal.

Another vote for qwafe :)

 

I reckon stick with AE86 or KE70 racks. They're still easy to find and most parts are available. If you haggle a bit I'm sure you could pick up a spare or two for a reasonable price and/or build something good out of the two.

HEY FELLAS when i rebuilt the rack outa my ke70 i fitted heavy duty thick walled boots which i got from repco they are a repco part and the same quality as original toyota which have been discontinued also fitted the superpro brand nolathane rack mount bushes i got from autobarn

Yep a full reco would consist of:

 

New rack and pinion - only available from quaife - $320 or so delivered (palmside NZ is a good supplier).

New pinion Bearings and seal - from any bearing shop, use jap made ones - $60

A new slide bush in the lhs of the housing - you might get lucky and find one of these thats in good nick, or might have to have a shop make the bush from scratch as they are unavailable when I have tried to buy them.

Repack it all with grease and use nice new rack boots to keep itclean in there and prevent premature wear.

 

Then there is the labour component. Most mechanics would charge around $150-$200 to rebuild a rack from scratch.

 

Ke70 rack and ae86 rack are almost identical, except the ae86 one has an extra tooth machined into it for a tiny bit more lock. You can machine more teeth into the rack before you fit it if that's what you want.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.